Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2019, 02:15 AM   #261

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
The only thing I didn't like is the self imposed requirement to check the straps after a few miles every time we loaded up. Only once they were seriously loose ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
It only takes once ... what'if?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
It was still safe I believe.
Excellent!!! But you just said "seriously loose"?

Checking straps, hitches, hubs, general paying attention, etc... etc... that's just what we do.

Maybe; Embrace vs. "didn't like"?

Creating good "common sense" habits help maximize enjoyment, for the long haul. And, there's a big difference between "self imposed" and common sense

Old 05-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #262
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Excellent!!! But you just said "seriously loose"?

Checking straps, hitches, hubs, general paying attention, etc... etc... that's just what we do.

Maybe; Embrace vs. "didn't like"?

Creating good "common sense" habits help maximize enjoyment, for the long haul. And, there's a big difference between "self imposed" and common sense
I stop and check because I have that nightmare of looking at the rear-view camera and not seeing the car (or looking in a side view mirror and seeing the car drive itself off the road...)! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #263

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Toad

We pull a 2014 CRV Blue Ox Bar, Patriot Brake system so far so good.
Main problem is getting the radio fuse out and back in it's real small and hard to get to location. I think I'll make a switch/fuse to replace the in box fuse so I can just flip the switch when ready to tow. The fuse removal keeps the battery from draining.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #264

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
We pull a 2014 CRV Blue Ox Bar, Patriot Brake system so far so good.
Main problem is getting the radio fuse out and back in it's real small and hard to get to location. I think I'll make a switch/fuse to replace the in box fuse so I can just flip the switch when ready to tow. The fuse removal keeps the battery from draining.

I also tow a CR-V. I installed a battery maintainer that keeps the battery charged while towing, so I don't have to worry about the radio fuse. It's like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-39332...s%2C195&sr=8-3
Old 05-06-2019, 04:02 AM   #265

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #14934
Another Miata, but on a Trailer

We have had our 2018 Windsport 34J for 3 weeks now and have not towed it yet. I have the brake controller installed, a 6" drop hitch and TPMS for the trailer tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1830.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	17135  
Mr.Ed203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #266

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We tow a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The Invisibrake by Roadmaster keeps the battery on the Jeep charged.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #267

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed203 View Post
We have had our 2018 Windsport 34J for 3 weeks now and have not towed it yet. I have the brake controller installed, a 6" drop hitch and TPMS for the trailer tires.

Your Miata looks great up there on that trailer. We have enjoyed having ours along over the years. Flat towed a 2002SE for years, and now a 2011RHT. Newer models require a dolly or trailer.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #268

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We tow a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The Invisibrake by Roadmaster keeps the battery on the Jeep charged.
We also tow a TrailHawk. I rely like the car. We use a Blue Ox baseplate tow bar and brake. The car supplies power to the brake system in case of a break away. While we’re on the road I shut it off at night and run the car engine for 15-20 minutes once a day to make sure the battery doesn’t go dead. Somewhere around 3000 miles so far. So far so good! This is our first MH so towing a toad is very new to us.

I alway here things like “hooked up and ready to go in 5 minutes”. I don’t get the need for speed when it comes to the safety of people sharing the road. When I get done I always double check and if I feel like I got done to fast I recheck everything a 3rd time.
TrailHawk toad
Bucket List Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #269

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
2012 edge...we just started doing the four down thing...been using a hauler trailer since 2009
wanted to try a lighter load and set up
of course the edge does better right side up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171214_135519.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	17193   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 edge delivery (25).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	17194  

Name:	base plate install (53).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	17195  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #270

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
of course the edge does better right side up [/QUOTE]
Now that's funny, got a good chuckle over that one!!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #271

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
We also tow a TrailHawk. I rely like the car. We use a Blue Ox baseplate tow bar and brake. The car supplies power to the brake system in case of a break away. While we’re on the road I shut it off at night and run the car engine for 15-20 minutes once a day to make sure the battery doesn’t go dead. Somewhere around 3000 miles so far. So far so good! This is our first MH so towing a toad is very new to us.

I alway here things like “hooked up and ready to go in 5 minutes”. I don’t get the need for speed when it comes to the safety of people sharing the road. When I get done I always double check and if I feel like I got done to fast I recheck everything a 3rd time.

I like your attitude towards caution and safety. It makes me nervous how some folks can be so cavalier about it. I’m getting set up to tow my Ford Focus down to Florida in the fall and the unfamiliarity is sort of a “thing”. Enjoy your travels.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #272

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
We tow a 2004 Jeep Liberty. It came with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow bar and a Demco stay-in-play braking system.
Before we bought the Jeep, we considered towing the GMC Yukon XL Denali 4wd we were driving at the time. But while within the weight limits, I didn’t feel comfortable pulling something that big. Besides DW was having health issues and was having difficulty getting up into the Yukon.
We traded it in on an Acadia. I didn’t like the idea of towing the Acadia either because of the process of setting it up to tow. The Jeep setup is so much easier.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #273

THOR #1249
I ran across a deal on a low mileage 2014 Chevy Spark last year and started towing with it. Lot more convenient and cheaper than renting a car at some of the remote areas we visit.
Here are a couple of pics of the Demco base plate kit on the Spark.
I chose the Demco base plate since the attach points are low and not blocking air flow to eng. and also, with the covers on the attach points they look somewhat like part of the grill. Did not think to take any pics with it hooked up for towing.

I have the Demco Commander tow bar and E-Z Mount Tow Light Kit to go with it. I did not want to connect into my Spark electrical system, so the light kit made it a simple install.
I bought the entire system from etrailer for approx. $1105 del. and I can't even tell it is back there when towing.

Name:	IMG_7904.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	17234

Name:	IMG_7905.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	17235
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #274

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
This one isn't mine but I am sure envious.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1557353978
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3035.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	17237  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #275

Model: Challenger 37BT
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Here's a crazy thought...

Leave the "toad" at home and either use a ride sharing service or rent a car. I personally have never seen the need to tow an extra vehicle except for dirtbikes, boats or watercraft. Obviously everyone's RV usage is different. I just see SO MANY people in RV's towing another vehicle and it seems like it's something that people think is almost required.

I especially don't understand when I see a huge SUV or truck being towed behind an RV. If you need another vehicle when you're parked, does it really have to be one that weighs 5k or 6k lbs? IF you use a second vehicle enough to warrant it, at least tow a cheap, light, little car like the all manual Nissan Versa someone above mentioned.

Or like I suggested, use a ride sharing service or rent a car. If you're anywhere near a decent sized city, you should be able to Uber or Lyft a ride pretty much whenever or wherever you want. And you wouldn't have to... Use more fuel, limit yourself to towed vehicle speeds, put additional wear and tear on a towed vehicle AND the towing vehicle, pay extra every time you go over a toll bridge or road, and not to mention safety issues in emergency situations.

Just a thought.
Here's a "CRAZY" REALITY, maybe folks are towing vehicles they ALREADY HAVE.
Another REALLY, CRAZY REALITY, within 100 miles of home, 2 people have been MURDERED by bastards posing as Lyft, and Uber drivers over the last couple of months. You can have my seat in the ride share !
Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #276

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
17 Thor CHALLENGER 37 TB
Acme EZ-TOW 15 Ford Edge SEL pictured.
Traded for 18 Ford Explorer XLT
Didn't know the Edge was back there coming down Old Fort Mountain I-40 East. 7 miles 6% grade.Attachment 15096
UPDATE: NOW PULLING OUR 18 FORD EXPLORER
it just barely fits on the Acme Ez-Tow tow dolly with about a 1 1/2 clearance on each side. So far we've towed it over 1000 miles, including Ascending and Descending Old Fort Mountain with its 7miles of 6% grade, with no problems, other than having to retighten the New straps that stretch. Straps are checked at every stop.
Cant really tell much difference in gas mileage, and you cant tell it's back there.
This last trip I watched Toads that were 4 down weaving, and rocking behind their coaches, and check my rear view camera, to find our toad firmly planted right where it should be, straight and true, with no sway or wobble.
I'll stick to my Acme Ez-Tow until I'm not physically able to.
You can stand the Acme Ez-Tow vertically so finding a place to store it isn't a problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	received_813657582328572.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	17244
Old 05-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #277

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I am planning to tow the Ford Focus that I already own when we go to Florida next winter as a snowbird. We will be parked for 6 weeks and plan to use our site as a home base for one and two day trips to nearby cites and states. Can’t do that by ride sharing and renting a car for 6 weeks would cost an arm and a leg. For most of our travels we don’t plan to tow though. Maybe just take the mopeds. I don’t think folks would tow if they didn’t find it beneficial.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #278

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I am planning to tow the Ford Focus that I already own when we go to Florida next winter as a snowbird. We will be parked for 6 weeks and plan to use our site as a home base for one and two day trips to nearby cites and states. Can’t do that by ride sharing and renting a car for 6 weeks would cost an arm and a leg. For most of our travels we don’t plan to tow though. Maybe just take the mopeds. I don’t think folks would tow if they didn’t find it beneficial.
I found my Acme Ez-Tow tow dolly Pre Owned for $800. Put on new G rated 10 ply tires from etrailer.com for about $100 and new straps.
I believe it has the highest capacity rating, and the best Warranty. Check them out on YouTube they have very good videos on operation.
With the dolly you dont have to add equipment to your vehicle, and no need for auxiliary braking equipment, if you get a dolly with surge brakes.
Just pointing out a option that works for us.
Like someone said, dont worry about how long it takes, just do it safely !Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180526-091951.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	17246Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180812_143823.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	17247
Old 05-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #279

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

I'm with you!! Tow if you wish...don't tow if you think it's stupid....who really cares?!?! There's a reason Uber and Goober rhyme.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #280

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
We bought our 2016 jeep wrangler 3 months after buying our 29m. I wanted the option of doing some off road exploring while travelling the country

And jeep's are just cool.

Another reason for towing is safety. If the my were to break down we have the jeep to get help, parts, etc

We do lots of city exploring when camping so we need our jeep

I went with road master base plate, ready brute elite tow bar/brake system and Hopkins light wiring. Did the install myself

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170514_120840.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	17255
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, miata, skirt, tow