Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
2008 Acura MDX - Modify to flat tow?

Hi all, first off, my owners manual states my 2008 Acura MDX cannot be towed 4 down.

Secondly, it's paid off, my family of 6 fits perfectly in it, and it would be an amazing flat tow car for my setup.

Brainstorming here - what are some of the reasons Acura would list the car cannot be flat towed?
Here's my list so far:
1. It's AWD, if the car is not running there is no fluid flowing through the transmission while being drug down the road.
2. It's AWD, could there be any issues with the rear diff? I wouldn't think so, but maybe...
3. The computer might freak out that sensors are getting some inputs but the car is off?

What else am I missing?

For issue #1, I'm wondering if I could install an external transmission fluid pump that could be run while towing ***like this one*** I'd obviously have to keep it powered during transit, I've seen some battery tenders, etc I could possibly use...

Issue #2 could possibly be resolved the same as #1 if needed.
Issue #3 - would this really happen? and if so, would it just fix itself after a reboot and drive?

Looking for any thoughts/opinions. We've had this car for 11 years and like I said, it's paid off. If we were to spend a few hundred or even thousand to get this car flat towable it'd still be cheaper than a new car.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Old 09-23-2022, 05:12 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If the owners manual says no... there's a very good reason. Here's the logic: It's paid off, but it has significant worth to you because it still provides transportation. You will damage the drivetrain by four-down towing... resulting in making the value to anyone (including you) zero.

My suggestion? Find a suitable USED vehicle that qualifies for four-down towing. Trade/sell your current car to offset the cost. This will be MUCH cheaper than trying to modify your existing car, OR replacing a damaged transmission.

You'll likely have better luck finding an older car that's towable vs. newer cars.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
Hi all, first off, my owners manual states my 2008 Acura MDX cannot be towed 4 down.

Secondly, it's paid off, my family of 6 fits perfectly in it, and it would be an amazing flat tow car for my setup.

Brainstorming here - what are some of the reasons Acura would list the car cannot be flat towed?
Here's my list so far:
1. It's AWD, if the car is not running there is no fluid flowing through the transmission while being drug down the road.
2. It's AWD, could there be any issues with the rear diff? I wouldn't think so, but maybe...
3. The computer might freak out that sensors are getting some inputs but the car is off?

What else am I missing?

For issue #1, I'm wondering if I could install an external transmission fluid pump that could be run while towing ***like this one*** I'd obviously have to keep it powered during transit, I've seen some battery tenders, etc I could possibly use...

Issue #2 could possibly be resolved the same as #1 if needed.
Issue #3 - would this really happen? and if so, would it just fix itself after a reboot and drive?

Looking for any thoughts/opinions. We've had this car for 11 years and like I said, it's paid off. If we were to spend a few hundred or even thousand to get this car flat towable it'd still be cheaper than a new car.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
If you want to take this vehicle with you, buy a trailer. It’ll be cheaper than burning up your drive train.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'd second the trailer suggestion, BUT, if you want to continue down the flat tow road:

Transmission - in neutral probably does not turn a pump to lube the moving parts nor send fluid through the cooler.

Transfer Case - probably OK but may suffer from same issues as transmission in a "smart" AWD.

Computer - probably not an issue but you will probably have to leave the key on or in ACC since the transmission would be left in neutral, not park. This could lead to the battery draining.

You will need a transmission/drivetrain expert on your vehicle to see if installing the linked pump to the transmission/transfer case is even possible to eliminate the heat and lube issues. Good luck finding one that would want to take on this experiment and LIABILITY of it not working.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I'd second the trailer suggestion, BUT, if you want to continue down the flat tow road:

Transmission - in neutral probably does not turn a pump to lube the moving parts nor send fluid through the cooler.

Transfer Case - probably OK but may suffer from same issues as transmission in a "smart" AWD.

Computer - probably not an issue but you will probably have to leave the key on or in ACC since the transmission would be left in neutral, not park. This could lead to the battery draining.

You will need a transmission/drivetrain expert on your vehicle to see if installing the linked pump to the transmission/transfer case is even possible to eliminate the heat and lube issues. Good luck finding one that would want to take on this experiment and LIABILITY of it not working.
+1. I would also add that even if it appears to be working correctly, you'll have no idea what internal damage is being caused. It might work for a few trips and then one day your stranded in the toad...

Wouldn't be worth it IMO..
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:21 AM   #6

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Ok everyone, I hear you…but I’ve never been afraid to modify a car before…but maybe in the interest of “unknowns” I will put this thought to rest.

We currently pull our 2011 Honda Odyssey on a EZtow car tow dolly. It tows fine but it’s just a lot of work to load/unload. I will probably just look at getting something else that can flat tow.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:32 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
Ok everyone, I hear you…but I’ve never been afraid to modify a car before…but maybe in the interest of “unknowns” I will put this thought to rest.

We currently pull our 2011 Honda Odyssey on a EZtow car tow dolly. It tows fine but it’s just a lot of work to load/unload. I will probably just look at getting something else that can flat tow.
. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box and experimenting. But in the interest of a cost/effort/risk factor, I agree with you - get a known flat-tow compatible vehicle and be done.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:29 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box and experimenting. But in the interest of a cost/effort/risk factor, I agree with you - get a known flat-tow compatible vehicle and be done.
Or find the same vehicle in a junkyard for cheap, and give it a try. Even if it's non-operable, you might be able to gain insight into whether it's feasible.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Certainly you can buy a decent flat towable car, maybe even one already set up to tow, for less than the conversion would cost. Of course money isn’t always the most important issue. Sometimes its worth doing a project just because it’s interesting and fun to do. If the cost, time and busted knuckles don’t bother you I’d say go for it!
Old 10-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #10

State: Michigan
THOR #19346
we bought a buick enclave because it is an easy mod to.mzke it flat tow. this vehicle has seats for 7 and if it's just my wife and I we have room inside for 2 e bikes in totes and the roof holds our 2 kayaks. refer to listings.in line to point you to used cars that are capable but always defer to owners manual in car.