Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 05:52 AM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #10764
Dead battery after tow

I have a 2014 Ace 30.1 & flat tow a 2017 jeep trailhawk. After towing 4 hours we stopped for the night. Went to start our jeep & nothing. Battery wouldn't crank or start. This issue happened before when it remained connected for 3 nights while traveling to our destination. I assumed that happened because I kept the 7 way plug connected the entire time. The jump start got the Jeep back running with several start/stop travels after that initial episode. I can't figure why after a short tow (or any tow regardless of time or distance) this is occurring. Any help, suggestions or possible corrections? Thanks!!
Barry

Old 09-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I seem to recall reading somewhere that you must have a power lead to the “Toad” if you’re using the toads lights.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
When you tow, do you have to leave your key in the ignition to allow the steering wheel to turn? Are you using an assisted brake system (such as a Stay In Play) and running your tail lights? All these drain your battery. There are options such as a battery disconnect switch if you can tow without battery power. I find the easiest is to run a charge line through the 7 way to the battery to keep a charge going while you tow. ETrailer.com has some videos about how to do this with an in-line fuse kit.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you self-installed your tow setup, you should know exactly what is (or isn't) drawing power from your toad battery... how your braking system is wired, your tail light setup etc.

If you had someone install it, have a detailed conversation with them about how they installed it - especially the electrical hookup from the 7-pin connector and any connections to the toad battery itself. Take CAREFUL notes and draw diagrams if necessary.

You will thank yourself later when these type of problems arise... they are difficult to track down if you don't have an accurate wiring diagram.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Sounds like there is no charge line from the 7 pin to the TOAD battery or if one was installed maybe a blown fuse on the coach or the in-line to the TOAD battery.

If you have an InvsiBrake the coach headlights must be on to charge the TOAD battery if a dedicated charge line was not installed.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBLines View Post
I have a 2014 Ace 30.1 & flat tow a 2017 jeep trailhawk. After towing 4 hours we stopped for the night. Went to start our jeep & nothing. Battery wouldn't crank or start. This issue happened before when it remained connected for 3 nights while traveling to our destination. I assumed that happened because I kept the 7 way plug connected the entire time. The jump start got the Jeep back running with several start/stop travels after that initial episode. I can't figure why after a short tow (or any tow regardless of time or distance) this is occurring. Any help, suggestions or possible corrections? Thanks!!
Barry
So many questions/unknowns about your setup but the bottom line is: unless you left the headlights on on the toad the toad's battery, if good, should have easily lasted the four hours. Take the toad to an auto parts store and have them load test the battery.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #10764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So many questions/unknowns about your setup but the bottom line is: unless you left the headlights on on the toad the toad's battery, if good, should have easily lasted the four hours. Take the toad to an auto parts store and have them load test the battery.

Thank you I will do that!!
Old 09-07-2021, 12:54 AM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Add a charge line and one of these…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	47.2 KB