Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Demco Stay and Play Tow brake System

I am going to be flat towing our 2014 Ford Flex and have started looking at towing/brake systems. Has anyone had any experience with the Demco Stay and Play tow brake system? I know it is a system that stays attached to the tow vehicle under the hood and uses air pressure for the braking system. It appears to be a simple system once installed to hook up the tow vehicle. I was looking at it with a blue ox tow base/bar set up. I know that it isn't portable and useable in other cars once installed unless I completely remove and install it again.

I have also been looking at the brake buddy system with the blue ox base/tow bar.

Paul

Old 07-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Our first towed (a 2004 Jeep Liberty) came with a Demco Stay n Play braking system already installed. So when I replaced the Jeep with a 2019 GMC Canyon, I purchased and installed the same system.
It operates off of a vacuum pump that is part of the system and gets is power from the towed vehicle’s battery. I strongly recommend that you also install a battery charging circuit to maintain the charge in the towed vehicle as the braking system may deplete the battery charge on a long day’s trip.
Otherwise, I’m satisfied with how the system operates.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:40 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sounds like it works exactly like the InvisiBrake. Are you self-installing or having this done?
Old 07-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #4

THOR #12698
I would have it installed at a shop. The shop also told me that he always installs a line to the tow vehicle battery from the coach to keep the battery charged while hooked up.

Paul
Old 07-12-2022, 02:17 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
When we bought our Gladiator, we got the Demco system installed. The only thing you see inside the Jeep is a small box with a toggle switch and an adjustment knob. We didn't want to deal with a bulky assembly that we had to wrestle with putting it in place and removing/storing it. All we have to do is flip the toggle switch to turn it on or off. The system works very well.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 25v
THOR #25787
I had the Demco Stay and Play system installed on our F-150. It worked flawlessly the one time we towed (a 250-mile round-trip). I sold the brake unit to a guy in Miami. I still have the 10,000 pound Blackhawk All-terrain tow bar, if you need one. It is advertised in the forum classifieds.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:08 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have self installed my Stay in Play system twice. First on a 2004 Wrangler and then transferred it to a 2017 Spark. Installation is pretty straightforward though a bit more tedious in the Spark because it’s so small. It has worked flawlessly for about 11,000 miles now. It’s completely invisible and only requires flipping a switch to use - and you don’t really even need to do that as you can leave it on even when it’s not being used. I added a wireless repeater to the RV cab that shows when the brakes actually are being applied. It’s interesting but it works so well that I rarely look at the monitor anymore. My rig stops noticeable BETTER when it’s towing. Strongly recommend.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #8

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Demco Stay in Play

I have the Demco Stay in Play on a Jeep Wrangler. It works well, is nearly invisible, and requires no effort after installation.
My tow bar is a Blue Ox Alpha 2 and I am happy with that as well.
I had everything professionally installed and it was worth every penny. Cost was $4500 including items above plus base plate and light wiring. I would do it the same way again.
Pete's comments are absolutely correct. The whole rig stops even better with the Demco installed!
Old 07-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #9

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
+1 for the Demco Stay N Play. I had it installed a few years ago on our Wrangler. It works great and we have towed thousands of miles without issue. We have the wireless display in the coach that plugs into the lighter and lets you know when it is activated. I paid $4,000 two years ago fully installed with RoadMaster 8,000lb light bar, blue OX plate, hitch receivers, locks, lights and cables.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #10

THOR #12698
Thanks for all of the opinions on the Demco System. I am now leaning towards it over the other systems out there. The shop that I contacted told me they also install a line from my coach to the tow vehicle's battery to keep it charged during towing. I was quoted $5,000 to $5,500 tops (blue Ox base plate and tow bar) with the Demco System.

Paul
Old 07-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

THOR #16721
I have heard nothing but praise about the Demco system. That quote seems a little high to me, but I admit inflation hasn't quite fully registered with me. That said, it's a fairly expensive undertaking to configure/install any flat tow setup.

For other folks who may be researching this subject, what are the deciding factors in choosing this system over others - aside from what you've already stated?

About price... ultimately I think knowing you have quality equipment AND a qualified installer beats a "cheap price" every time.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 25v
THOR #25787
Seems a bit expensive, compared to what we would pay here in Florida. I paid just under $4,000 for the whole enchilada 18 months ago: Tow bar, Demco unit, base plate, installation, etc. I know everything has gone up, but it might be worth taking the parts list and shopping it within a 100-mile radius of home. Whatever happens, you will be pleased with the Demco system.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Just popped in to say thanks to everyone for the discussion on the Stay-IN-Play

Based on features it was my first choice, it's nice to hear real world experiences.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:49 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
THOR #13468
I guess I am a little late to the party, but I also have a Demo Stay-and-Play installed in the Jeep that I tow, and I have been very happy with it.

The installation included that external unit that shows that the toad brakes are being applied but I don't know if that is of any real use because I can easily feel the pull of the Jeep's brakes when they are activated.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:58 AM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I guess I am a little late to the party, but I also have a Demo Stay-and-Play installed in the Jeep that I tow, and I have been very happy with it.

The installation included that external unit that shows that the toad brakes are being applied but I don't know if that is of any real use because I can easily feel the pull of the Jeep's brakes when they are activated.
I have the InvisiBrake, which works very similarly to the Demco. The installation includes a dash mounted light and audible signal warning device (tone).

When normally applying brakes... like coming to a stoplight, the red light illuminates when the Jeeps brakes are being applied.

However, like in a long downhill situation if you "ride the motorhome brakes" (not good) the red light illuminates AND after a set time an audible tone sounds. The InvisiBrake is "smart enough" to not keep the brakes applied in that situation - which could potentially overheat the Jeep brakes. To reapply brakes, you must let off the brake then re-apply them.

I appreciate that feature. I ALWAYS know if/when the toad brakes are working... and it gives me a friendly reminder to use tow/haul instead of riding the brakes.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:31 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post

Me too. I have the remote monitor but I hardly ever even glance at it. I can feel when the brakes are applied as well. In fact I recently took a trip without the towed and I was surprised how much WORSE the coach stopped without the added braking of the towed. Almost rear ended a guy at a stop sign before I recalibrated my brain.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:19 AM   #17

THOR #12698
I just got the Demco Stay and Play DUO braking system along with the Blue Ox base plate and Alpha 2 tow bar. I towed my Ford Flex home(50 miles) and hardly felt anything behind me. It is easy to set up and use. I was using a tow dolly and it is like night and day in setting it up and towing. Glad I went with this system. Looking forward to our planned trip next summer across the USA to Florida and back to California. We have a couple of short trips planned this year to Utah to get used to towing the car with this system. I have to use a 2 inch drop down adapter from the coach to the tow bar since the car sits low and the coach sits high.

Paul
Old 10-18-2022, 03:02 AM   #18

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I just got the Demco Stay and Play DUO braking system along with the Blue Ox base plate and Alpha 2 tow bar. I towed my Ford Flex home(50 miles) and hardly felt anything behind me. It is easy to set up and use. I was using a tow dolly and it is like night and day in setting it up and towing. Glad I went with this system. Looking forward to our planned trip next summer across the USA to Florida and back to California. We have a couple of short trips planned this year to Utah to get used to towing the car with this system. I have to use a 2 inch drop down adapter from the coach to the tow bar since the car sits low and the coach sits high.

Paul
Nice, I think you will be happy with the Stay N’ Play - Always there, no dead battery, out of the way, no set up other than a flip a switch.

Note to self:
Have a short check list in your toad of all steps to hook and unhook. Don’t let people distract you while in the process of hook-up. Enjoy having the Toad.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #19

THOR #12698
I plan on writing up the check list like I had when I use to tow with a tow dolly. Never know if you miss something.

Paul
Old 10-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #20

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I plan on writing up the check list like I had when I use to tow with a tow dolly. Never know if you miss something.

Paul
I printed out two checklists... One for "Hitching" and one for "Unhitching". I keep them in the console box of the Jeep.

I follow those to a T... missing a step can be anything between destroying your tranny to being deadly.