Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 11:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Do I need a toad battery charger?

Not sure where to post this so, Mods move it if it needs to be.

Okie Dokie. I bought a 2020 Jeep Wrangler to tow behind my MH. I have 12V power at my 7-pin on the rear of the MH. It is switched power meaning the circuit is dead when the MH is shut off.
Do I need a charger? Or can I just run a charge line to the battery of my Toad?

Old 11-12-2020, 12:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Why do you think the Jeep needs to be charged underway?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:40 AM   #3

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why do you think the Jeep needs to be charged underway?
Using a brake system that works off of the toad battery.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I towed for years, using a U.S. Gear braking system. Since it used the toads power brake system, a vacuum pump would run when the brakes were applied, so to keep the battery up, Used the 12 volts to trickle charge the toad while underway. In 12 years of towing, never had any battery issues.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
Just set up a 2013 Jeep Wrangler to MH. I added the trickle charger - about $100. Thought the cost was well worth the peace of mind. Just completed coast to coast and back with no issues. (using RVi3 braking system)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:09 AM   #6

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster56 View Post
Just set up a 2013 Jeep Wrangler to MH. I added the trickle charger - about $100. Thought the cost was well worth the peace of mind. Just completed coast to coast and back with no issues. (using RVi3 braking system)
Yes, I looked at that charger, $85 is what I found. Question is do I need to spend the money for that or just run a fused wire and accomplish the same thing?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:44 AM   #7

THOR #17883
I decided to go with plan A. I ran a charge wire from the MW. Still waiting on a 15 amp diode that I had to order to complete the circuit.
But I'll install a diode and a fuse right at the battery of the toad.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:59 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Technician automatically ran a charge line to the battery when he installed our Demco brake system on the Gladiator.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #9

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Technician automatically ran a charge line to the battery when he installed our Demco brake system on the Gladiator.
Diode should be here tomorrow. I'm installing the brake system now, the Demco Stay & Play Duo. Got the hardware mounted today. Tomorrow the wiring.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:29 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Diode should be here tomorrow. I'm installing the brake system now, the Demco Stay & Play Duo. Got the hardware mounted today. Tomorrow the wiring.

You’ll like the Stay in Play. I actually enjoyed the I actually enjoyed the installation. Works great and set up is just the flip of a switch. I added the wireless remote monitor so I could see up front when my Jeep was applying its brakes. I’m glad I did.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #11

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You’ll like the Stay in Play. I actually enjoyed the I actually enjoyed the installation. Works great and set up is just the flip of a switch. I added the wireless remote monitor so I could see up front when my Jeep was applying its brakes. I’m glad I did.
I'll be hooking up a wired remote monitor. The LED light came with the Stay in Play but I had to order a Roadmaster Universal Stop Light Switch Kit to make it work.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #12

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4392
Quote:
Using a brake system that works off of the toad battery.
If you want the toads' brake system to function, then yes, a charger is a good thing to have. On short trips, 2 - 3 hours you could get away with no charger. But, on all day trips, you will keep killing the toads' battery. This will give the toads' battery a very short life.

DBCassidy
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:

Okie Dokie. I bought a 2020 Jeep Wrangler to tow behind my MH. I have 12V power at my 7-pin on the rear of the MH. It is switched power meaning the circuit is dead when the MH is shut off.

I cant imagine needing a charger. Using the 12v line from the 7Pin connector is going to charge the Toads battery when you are towing it. Same as it would if you were towing a trailer, the trailer battery gets charged when you are driving. To avoid voltage drop be sure and use #10 gauge wire on both the +12 volt line and the "ground" wire.

I was not aware that the +12volt line from the MH was switched however. So I guess if your braking device on the toad is still drawing power and you stop overnight without using your Toad there would be a draw down on your toad battery. If indeed the MH 12volt pin is switched off when the engine is not running I would rewire it so that it is always live. Cheaper and more convient than having to plug up a battery charger.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #14

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:

I don’t need or use power for my Cherokee. The brake buddy uses very little power.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #15

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
I cant imagine needing a charger. Using the 12v line from the 7Pin connector is going to charge the Toads battery when you are towing it. Same as it would if you were towing a trailer, the trailer battery gets charged when you are driving. To avoid voltage drop be sure and use #10 gauge wire on both the +12 volt line and the "ground" wire.

I was not aware that the +12volt line from the MH was switched however. So I guess if your braking device on the toad is still drawing power and you stop overnight without using your Toad there would be a draw down on your toad battery. If indeed the MH 12volt pin is switched off when the engine is not running I would rewire it so that it is always live. Cheaper and more convient than having to plug up a battery charger.
You can unplug the brake buddy overnight if that worries you.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #16

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcassidy View Post
If you want the toads' brake system to function, then yes, a charger is a good thing to have. On short trips, 2 - 3 hours you could get away with no charger. But, on all day trips, you will keep killing the toads' battery. This will give the toads' battery a very short life.

DBCassidy
Not so with brake buddy. It draws very little power.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:59 PM   #17

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Brake buddy comes with a wireless indicator. Plugs into RV lighter socket.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:17 AM   #18

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Wisconsin
THOR #14096
I tow my 2016 jeep Cherokee trail hawk. Brake air pump runs the battery down. I use a battery solor panel to charge my toad battery while towing.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:43 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post

It depends on the equipment and how it is installed. There is. a person on another forum that just realized, after towing his Cherokee three times, that he does not have a charge line installed, his battery keeps going dead and it may be impacting his Jeeps's steering while towing.

When my Grand Cherokee was setup I had to ask for a dedicated charge line to the Jeep's battery. Now some equipment will charge the Toad's battery. InvisiBrake will charge the TOAD battery as long as the Motorhomes parking lights are on. If the Motorhome's parking lights are off the InvisBrake will not charge the TOAD battery.

Don't assume an installer is installing a charge line. Many charge extra for that feature while some include it in the installation.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #20

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I have a Roadmaster even brake in my Jeep and have never needed a charging line. The compressor in it don’t take much power. I have towed several days without it running the battery down.