Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2021, 02:41 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #10430
My theory is you never mess with brakes or tires. However it's totally up to you want you want to do. You ask for opinions and we just try to help.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:15 AM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I'd check with your local authorities about trailer brake requirements rather than asking here. Not saying others advice is valid, but all states have their own standards that must be met.
I know in Texas any trailer, anything being towed, weighing 3000lbs or more require brakes.
Definitely tandem axle with brakes!!!!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #23
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Here's a nifty map that shows regs for both trailer brake requirements.

https://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws.html

It's worth noting that while your rig may have plenty of stopping power if there is ever an accident and you don't meet the basic standards, you're likely to face fines, insurance refusals and other issues.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #24

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Here's a nifty map that shows regs for both trailer brake requirements.

https://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws.html

It's worth noting that while your rig may have plenty of stopping power if there is ever an accident and you don't meet the basic standards, you're likely to face fines, insurance refusals and other issues.
Hey that's a good map. I have one like that for carrying firearms. Since I roll with a virtual armory aboard I need to know the laws at the tip of my fingers.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #19881
So, my brother and I own a 10' x 5' aluminum single axle trailer that we carry a 1300 lb golf cart. Do I need brakes on the trailer. Local trailer shop told me no.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4LK View Post
So, my brother and I own a 10' x 5' aluminum single axle trailer that we carry a 1300 lb golf cart. Do I need brakes on the trailer. Local trailer shop told me no.
In Florida you are not required to have brakes on towed vehicles under 3000#.

Other states have other requirements and there is no "reciprocity" on vehicle requirements.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:29 AM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I just rented a small U-Haul with maximum 2,700 pound gross weight and it has no brakes.

Required minimum tongue weight is under 200 pounds so over 2,500 pounds on axle is possible. I don’t know how U-Haul gets it approved, but trailer will be going across multiple state lines. I know technically responsibility is on driver, but expect U-Haul wouldn’t rent it if illegal.

I’m guessing (more like estimating/predicting) this U-Haul trailer will affect my E-350 van’s braking more than when a compact car without brakes is towed behind a large motorhome. The trailer isn’t ideal, but seems legal. My main concern is heavier traffic than usual this weekend, so trailer brakes would be nice to have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFD468AF-2C39-4DD5-B8B7-7F9CB93129A8.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	34973  
Old 11-25-2021, 01:44 AM   #28

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4LK View Post
Depends. What are you pulling the trailer and cart with? If it's a good size pickup or motorhome probably not. I run a 6' by 12' Aluminum trailer and when the golf cart is on it no issues at all. Just be sure you're strapped down good so it doesn't come off if mayhem visits.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote