Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 03:39 AM   #21

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
[QUOTE=Wrpt58;244249

Either way it's really a personal decision. I wish you the best wisdom in your decision.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's not!
Depending what the law states there may not be a choice!!!
The best way to know for sure in your state is to go to your states DMV website & read the regs.

Replacement undetermined
Old 07-19-2020, 04:31 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Will do the brakes

I appreciate the tips. I am going to go with brakes. It does make sense. I got the 4x4 because I will do some winter travel. The F550 Ford with Diesel is pretty capable but it can’t hurt to have the security and control. I just didn’t know. Thanks. There is some great info on this forum.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
I appreciate the tips. I am going to go with brakes. It does make sense. I got the 4x4 because I will do some winter travel. The F550 Ford with Diesel is pretty capable but it can’t hurt to have the security and control. I just didn’t know. Thanks. There is some great info on this forum.
I have the F550 Chassis also, and I tow my Jeep Trailhawk WK2. I got the Patriot system by Blue Ox because it is plug and play. Your 550 chassis already has trailer logic built into it via the 7 pin connector. Other biggie is because it is external, it does not invalidate any warranties which other systems do. It is bluetooth. Takes about 3 minutes to hook up and your on your way.

1000 bucks or so for all the great protections the others have mentioned.

Love the F550. Have fun!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #24

Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3558
Different RV but I do flat tow a JKU Rubicon. I use the NSA Ready Brake, it goes inline between the hitch and the tow bar, a cable then goes to the brake pedal on the Jeep through the firewall. RV stops much better with it and will save wear and tear on the RV pads and rotors. About $500. Also get a break away system, about $100 from NSA. No need for the Jeep to pass you on the highway
Old 07-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I appreciate the tips. I am going to go with brakes. It does make sense.
Congratulations: good choice!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #26

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
I am getting an xg32 with the F550 cab and a 6.7 Diesel. Do I really need braking from my JL Rubicon? The big Super C has massive brakes and I can’t imagine that Jeep pushing it around too much. I’ve hauled similar sized cars on a two wheel dolly with my F350 with the same engine with zero issues.
So you want to save a few bucks and risk it. Doesn't make sense to me. The laws exist for a reason.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
(check out his post #22...)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #28

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
It’s a law in most states. If you had a wreck and didn’t have one, your insurance may not pay along the ticket you would get. If you had a panic stop, the braking on the Jeep may make a difference in how serious the wreck was. Makes sense to have one.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
It’s a law in most states. If you had a wreck and didn’t have one, your insurance may not pay along the ticket you would get. If you had a panic stop, the braking on the Jeep may make a difference in how serious the wreck was. Makes sense to have one.
So if you break any other laws does your insurance not pay?

How about speeding and involved in a wreck?
DUI? Is that a "no payer"
How about turning left in front of oncoming traffic?
How about following too close?

I'm confused about which laws you are allowed to break and still have your insurance pay.

Think about it.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 07-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #30

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
It’s not the ticket you could get, it’s the fact that you failed to do something that could have prevented an accident. what ever you want to do is up to you. However, I use a brake in mine for safety.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #31
EgV

Model: 22CFreedom Elite. 24&#821
State: Illinois
THOR #4805
Quote:
I am getting an xg32 with the F550 cab and a 6.7 Diesel. Do I really need braking from my JL Rubicon? The big Super C has massive brakes and I can’t imagine that Jeep pushing it around too much. I’ve hauled similar sized cars on a two wheel dolly with my F350 with the same engine with zero issues.
Yes, no if ands or buts. Be safe
Old 07-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #32

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Smart move. I'm sure most everyone on the road is thankful.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #33

THOR #15410
Yes,it is the law in most states. We have a jl Rubi that we pull behind our 32 ft class c and we use the Patriot 2 brake. We have used the invisibrake on a prior vehicle.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #34

Model: ACE 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #19429
Quote:
We have an ACE 30.2 and are pulling a Mini Cooper toad. We got brakes just for the safety fact. I am doing this to relax, not worry

Enjoy the adventure .... WhyNotAdventure
Old 07-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #35

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Toads must be connected to the brake system in Oregon. Many have brought up good reasons why this needs to be done - if the toad should break away then the emergency brake system would be activated and stop the toad. A couple of side notes, the installer said the system on my jeep is not meant to be the primary brake for our motor home. It is meant for steep hills or if I need to come to a sudden stop - there is a light on my dash that comes on when the brakes on my Jeep have been activated. Next make sure you understand how correctly line up the gears in your Jeep before you flat tow it, otherwise you will damage the transmission.

Erik
2017 ACE 30.1
Old 07-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #36

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
There is another lengthy thread on here that I asked a similar question. If you look on AAA or the brake manufacturers sites they all will tell you each state requires them on TOADs. This is not true, in fact many states do NOT require brakes on a TOAD.

My advice is to look up the laws of each state you will be travelling through. First look up the law requiring trailer brakes, then look up the definition of a trailer. In many states a TOAD does not meet the definition of a trailer and the law does not specifically require brakes on one.

That being said, its not a bad idea to have brakes obviously. I tow a 2012 JKUR behind my 24FE. I currently do not run trailer brakes and have no issues. (Also CA is one of the states that does not require them on TOADs). Also an important note is that anytime when towing you should be driving slower and leaving more distance. This would alleviate any possible braking issues.

Here is a link to the other thread on this: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/towing-22452.html
Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #37

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #3430
Brakes on toad

California law requires active breaking on anything over 1500 pounds if it's towed regardless of the towing vehicle.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1596136551
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Types of Brakes.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	25298  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #39

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
THOR #19344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau29Z View Post
California law requires active breaking on anything over 1500 pounds if it's towed regardless of the towing vehicle.
No it does not.

The California Vehicle code requires brakes on trailers:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=3.&article=1.

The CVC definition of a trailer does not include a TOAD:

Law section.

The CVC does not mention TOADS except here:
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...%20tow%20dolly.

If you are going to claim there is a law requiring something or prohibiting something it is a good idea to cite the actual law
Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #40

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
According to 49 CFR 571 - FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS a trailer is defined as "Trailer means a motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by another motor vehicle."
Now I know you are going to say that a TOAD is not designed for being drawn by another motor vehicle. As soon as you but a TOW bar on a motor vehicle you have changed the design of the motor vehicle such that it is not designed to be towed. Please stop trying to convince people that they don't need a braking system in a TOAD just to prove your point. Federal law says it is a trailer so if you need a brake on a trailer in a state you need it on your TOAD.