Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Towing selection

On the shift on steering column, of my 2018 Vegas, there is a button to press for use when towing. I was told to use it when I purchased my RV, and I do.Whenever it is engaged and I am slowing down, going down or up a hill, the engine roars and RPMs increase higher than I would like. I prefer to keep my RPMs between 2000 and 3000. Is there any distinct advantage to using the towing selector? There have been times when I forget to engage it, and drive a distance with no problems.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The Tow/Haul mode engaged by the button you referenced changes the shift points in your transmission to help minimize hunting between gears, especially the highest gears. It also helps slow the RV down by downshifting the transmission when slowing down and you can force a downshift by tapping the brakes.

In practical use I don't engage my T/H mode unless I am decelerating. I find it holds the lower gears too long when accelerating (causing the high RPMs) and I never have any hunting while cruising. YMMV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can safely drive with Tow/Haul disengaged. I almost always drive with it off--even when pulling a car.

When it is on; going down a hill you can tap the brake to cause the coach to downshift--which is why you see the RPM's jump. It also changes the shift points for more power.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:34 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I always drive with tow/haul engaged. I am always hauling the motorhome and sometimes towing the CR-V. I notice no difference in MPG and no difference in shift point or noise in the cab. The Ford V10 is noisey, end of discussion. I do like that the transmission assists in vehicle braking. I have also read somewhere that the tow/haul programming increases transmission life expectancy.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
A quick search will show you previous threads about the Tow/Haul switch. We tow a car, and I leave it off until we have a down grade where engine braking is needed. It really saves the brakes in those situations.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:25 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
The boys said it all.
Here’s us on level ground we don’t use it. Hills and mountains on all the time
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:04 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
If L am towing my trailer it is on. and the trans is in lock 5th gear of 6. Better gas mileage.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #8

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
I pretty much do what all of you have suggested. I drive with it on, but disengage when I have slowed down enough and now need to accelerate.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #9

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #17484
Advice I got and my experience towing a Jeep Wrangler on a car trailer makes me use the T/H setting. On one trip segment in the mountain west I forgot to engage the control and I ended up with a check engine light. The code was for transmission temp alarm so I am careful to use T/H in my new ACE as well. Although the engine will rev at times in steep downhill runs you can easily relieve it by some accelerator pressure. Two things scare me ... feeling unsafe on a down grade in an RV (speed, turns, crosswinds)
and crossing a harbor entrance in my boat with a heavy swell and an outgoing tide. Both situations are subject to operator control.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I too use it rarely except when on steep downgrades. I don't like the way it forces the engine to rev so high, but according to the "experts" the V-10 is OK with revving. And I suspect that not using it when towing heavy loads could damage the transmission. Our GMC Vandura van manual recommends keeping the transmission out of overdrive (4th) when towing to save the transmission.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
I use tow haul when I am towing my Jeep.I dont use it if I am not towing.My mechanic says you should always use it when towing or risk damaging your transmission.It tows fine when not in that mode but I am following his advice.I also understand that the v10 can handle the high rpms,but I havent had a problem with that because I drive like an old guy that I am!
Old 04-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
I've had a total of 8 RV s, my present one and two others were Triton V-10 with tow/haul mode.
First of all, everyone is right, whatever your comfortable with in my opinion >> anyway
The first Triton we had was in a Born Free, learned all about the tow haul mode in the Smokey Mountains omg thought the thing was gonna blow up going down every slope, could not figure out at first why the tyranny instantly down shifted when I applied the brakes ... So...my meager piloting skills took over and the Mountains became less stressful if I simply turned it on and off as conditions required, btw, coasting downhill @ 82 mph is not recommended in a Born Free, just my opinion folks.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We used to turns ours off and on as the conditions dictated as well...
Old 04-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
When I had my Thor Hurricane and towed a vehicle I always used the
Tow/Haul button.

I now (past 1-1/2 years) I tow a 34 foot Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
and tow with a Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel and always use tow/haul.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #15

THOR #10036
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The Tow/Haul mode engaged by the button you referenced changes the shift points in your transmission to help minimize hunting between gears, especially the highest gears. It also helps slow the RV down by downshifting the transmission when slowing down and you can force a downshift by tapping the brakes.

In practical use I don't engage my T/H mode unless I am decelerating. I find it holds the lower gears too long when accelerating (causing the high RPMs) and I never have any hunting while cruising. YMMV.
I have a 2020 Nexus Triumph 32T. I am native Fl. flatlander. When we hit the hills in north Ga. on goes the Th. Helps save the brakes on going down hills.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:57 AM   #16

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
On the shift on steering column, of my 2018 Vegas, there is a button to press for use when towing. I was told to use it when I purchased my RV, and I do.Whenever it is engaged and I am slowing down, going down or up a hill, the engine roars and RPMs increase higher than I would like. I prefer to keep my RPMs between 2000 and 3000. Is there any distinct advantage to using the towing selector? There have been times when I forget to engage it, and drive a distance with no problems.
I drive ours in Tow/Haul all the time. We don’t tow but it helps conserve the brakes when going down grades. Don’t let those higher rpm’s concern you. The higher rpm’s are better than frying your brakes. You should also consider choosing a lower gear to drive down steep grades and that will lead to higher rpm’s. Good rule of thumb is drive downhill in the same gear that you would need to drive uphill. Stay safe
Old 04-05-2020, 02:17 AM   #17

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
...The higher rpm’s are better than frying your brakes. You should also consider choosing a lower gear to drive down steep grades and that will lead to higher rpm’s. Good rule of thumb is drive downhill in the same gear that you would need to drive uphill. Stay safe
Good point, but there have been discussions on motorcycle forums about downshifting vs. braking with and some feel that it's a tossup. Use brakes more to save engine wear or use compression to save brakes. Since brakes are cheaper to replace, some feel it's best to use them more. Personally, I don't pay much attention on a motorcycle, I just do what I have always done. In the RV though, I find it difficult to let that engine rev high going down long, steep grades.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:26 AM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Good point, but there have been discussions on motorcycle forums about downshifting vs. braking with and some feel that it's a tossup. Use brakes more to save engine wear or use compression to save brakes. Since brakes are cheaper to replace, some feel it's best to use them more. Personally, I don't pay much attention on a motorcycle, I just do what I have always done. In the RV though, I find it difficult to let that engine rev high going down long, steep grades.
On an RV when brakes are used excessively going downhill they get hot and hot brakes may fail over time. Engine braking can be your best friend. Unfortunately with the V10 high revs and engine roar are a side effect of engine braking, however, the V10 can handle the high revs.

The other thing to consider when descending hills is cruise control. Cruise will downshift as necessary to maintain speed. Tow haul will also downshift with a tap of the breaks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:33 AM   #19

THOR #2817
Depending on the load and hill, I use both the brakes and the tow haul button. I also like to let the RV run at a good clip to prepare for the next up hill.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:00 AM   #20

State: New York
THOR #12610
tow/haul

Using lower gear when going down hill does more than prevent brake wear. I you ride your brakes too long the heat can cause break fluid to boil and turn into gas instead of liquid. I know newer fluids have higher threshold but it still can happen. Pedal goes to floor,unable to make pressure. Early buses and semis had fluid brakes and they ran away.