Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Don't leave 2021 Rubicon in 4L and Flat Tow!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...?ocid=msedgdhp

Old 03-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's why the transfer case has a "neutral" setting.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's why the transfer case has a "neutral" setting.
I don't know how he managed not to feel it. I started towing once when I thought I had the transfer case out of gear, but it was in 4H, I hadn't brought to the right spot. I moved my 2020 Rubicon about a foot and the tow bar made a clunk and then then F550 would barely move. Maybe this guy had one of those 400 HP Pushers. I'd think he'd still feel it dragging.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Don't leave 2021 Rubicon in 4L and Flat Tow!

That’s why I always leave my Jeep a few feet back when hooking up. I pull it forward by hand to the correct hookup position. It’s also why the flat tow instructions include the step of putting the transmission in gear to verify that the car won’t move. Follow the directions if you want it to work. (Took me decades to actually learn that!)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well it looks like it only resisted for a short period until the engine and transmission automatically "disconnected" as he also left it in first gear.

North Florida Jeep Dealership? I winder if that's our local Jeep dealer here in Lake City? Tuten is an old family name from these parts.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well it looks like it only resisted for a short period until the engine and transmission automatically "disconnected" as he also left it in first gear.
North Florida Jeep Dealership? I winder if that's our local Jeep dealer here in Lake City? Tuten is an old family name from these parts.
Give them a call, and see what they remember...
Old 03-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
If you're going to be stupid, you gotta be tough.

The owners manual is very specific about the steps you must take to tow four down. As many times as I tow mine, I have the owners manual in my hand as I Ngo through the steps. It's like a checklist. Must have been in a big hurry. No sympathy here.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I feel sympathy for the Jeep...
Old 03-16-2021, 10:07 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post

somebody needs a wife and a check list! ha
Old 03-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Stories like this - in conjunction with my increasing level of failure to pay attention to detail - are the things that make me think it best to get something from the local "Rent-A-Wreck" when were somewhere for a few days rather than towing.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 45lt
State: Colorado
THOR #21333
I saw the damage on a 4x4 facebook page recently. Yeah, as someone mentioned above, I always test after hook up with the jeep running by putting the Jeep in gear and easing the clutch out. I also have a "tow" checklist; coupler down and locked, chains attached, lights plugged in, key turned, Tcase neutral, Ebrake off. Even after that, once I do a walk-around and look under and above both coach and jeep, I still open the jeep door and double check the tow checklist again, because it is easy to pull the ebrake the first time as you exit the vehicle out of habit. WAY to expensive a lesson to learn. I have a "travel checklist inside", (covering anything and everything from all doors latched, to nothing in fridge that can spill...), that my wife goes over while I do the "travel checklist outside", also a 'tow checklist", and a "storage checklist" (covering things like check all cabinets for food, fridge doors open, dryer sheets and decon spread around...)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'll admit to no longer using a checklist...

I forgot where I left it!

Old 03-16-2021, 11:50 PM   #13

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyracing View Post
I saw the damage on a 4x4 facebook page recently. Yeah, as someone mentioned above, I always test after hook up with the jeep running by putting the Jeep in gear and easing the clutch out. I also have a "tow" checklist; coupler down and locked, chains attached, lights plugged in, key turned, Tcase neutral, Ebrake off. Even after that, once I do a walk-around and look under and above both coach and jeep, I still open the jeep door and double check the tow checklist again, because it is easy to pull the ebrake the first time as you exit the vehicle out of habit. WAY to expensive a lesson to learn. I have a "travel checklist inside", (covering anything and everything from all doors latched, to nothing in fridge that can spill...), that my wife goes over while I do the "travel checklist outside", also a 'tow checklist", and a "storage checklist" (covering things like check all cabinets for food, fridge doors open, dryer sheets and decon spread around...)
The problem is that as I age I need check lists for my check lists. We found that the Sterlite plastic bins (20 QT) fit on the shelves of our fridge and if we do get a leak, they are contained. Work great. We also use them in the pantry. Residential refrigerators are not for RV's. We had an RV fridge with wire shelfs and lips on the shelves so stuff didn't roll out when we opened the door. These are at Walmart.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:19 AM   #14

THOR #6826
My Jeep is old enough that it has a locking steering wheel. On our trip to Texas last month I came within a gnats whisker of forgetting to unlock the column one morning (I don’t like to leave the key in the ignition overnight) despite my checklist. When we got home I disassembled the steering column and figured out how to remove the locking pin. So now I can’t make that particular stupid mistake again! I’m quite sure I’ll find another that I can make though.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:53 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Met a guy years ago in South Dakota who pulled a similar stunt. He towed a Miata like the one we were towing. He swore that someone must have entered his car at a rest area and put it in gear. Transmission, rear end and engine all ruined. He made a claim to his insurance company and later told me they paid, $7K. Does anyone believe that he didn’t leave that car in gear himself?
Old 03-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Met a guy years ago in South Dakota who pulled a similar stunt. He towed a Miata like the one we were towing. He swore that someone must have entered his car at a rest area and put it in gear. Transmission, rear end and engine all ruined. He made a claim to his insurance company and later told me they paid, $7K. Does anyone believe that he didn’t leave that car in gear himself?

You do read occasional stories from folks who claim their towed car popped into gear on its own while being towed — invariably with catastrophic consequences. I’ve always suspected some level of operator error but sometimes they are quite adamant and it does leave you wondering.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My Jeep is old enough that it has a locking steering wheel. On our trip to Texas last month I came within a gnats whisker of forgetting to unlock the column one morning (I don’t like to leave the key in the ignition overnight) despite my checklist. When we got home I disassembled the steering column and figured out how to remove the locking pin. So now I can’t make that particular stupid mistake again! I’m quite sure I’ll find another that I can make though.
Unlock a column?
I have a solution for that!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1616009299
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	954ac1a97e8595ca6def17368b5353b6.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	29161  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #18

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Unlock a column?
I have a solution for that!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1616009299
That's a good solution, but where is the power seat, adaptive cruise control and the infotainment system?
Old 03-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
that's in the car next to you.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:07 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
My sympathy is for the Rubicon

Well I hope the Jeep got fixed! The operator on the other hand is toast, you can't fix stupid. That had to be like towing 2 tons of dead weight when he /she took off! Wow I want to know what they were towing with?

I have a pre tow checklist, basically taken word for word from my Cherokees owners manual. The final thing you do is start the Jeep step on the brake, put the car in gear and rev the engine a few hundred RPM that assures you are out of gear. Shift to neutral, shut down and then shift to park. Wife checks lights and turn signals on toad and listens for Invisibrake compressor while I check brakes.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote