Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 480
THOR #12830
Dual hitch reciever

Besides keeping below the max weight are there any other restrictions in using these? I was told by one rv dealer they arenít legal in all states.

Anyone know if a source to know for sure?
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 610
THOR #1620
I have never heard of that, my guess is someone mis understood and is spreading bad info, double TOWING would be my guess how it got started . I did a search and couldnt find anything but that means absolutely NOTHING lol
__________________

__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 480
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I have never heard of that, my guess is someone mis understood and is spreading bad info, double TOWING would be my guess how it got started . I did a search and couldnt find anything but that means absolutely NOTHING lol
Possibly but ..... Just thought Iíd ask the crowd.
I donít like surprises 😊
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,174
THOR #4735
think about this device less as a 'dual' hitch receiver, and more of an 'adjustable' hitch receiver - you use whichever one you want to that best makes sense for the height you need.

if you use the bottom one for your 'toad', you could use the top for a bike rack, but if you use the top one for your 'toad', then the bottom one just remains unused.

btw, there's no way a 'salesperson' can just say that any hitch device is 'illegal', as they don't know the usage of the device, which is the only way to determine whether it is useful and safe for it's purpose.
If you overweight ANY hitch device, it becomes 'illegal', no matter what size, type, or brand it is.
If you don't, then any device is very useful, and very legal, if it's built as a 'tow' device....simple.
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada.... formerly GA, then AL, now back to north Georgia! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #5
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,834
THOR #2829
I havenít heard that before and couldnít find anything either.
In addition to max weight, be aware of tongue weight limits...
If towing a car 4 down or on dolly, current tongue weight should be minimal.
If towing a trailer, would have more tongue weight already.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 480
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
think about this device less as a 'dual' hitch receiver, and more of an 'adjustable' hitch receiver - you use whichever one you want to that best makes sense for the height you need.

if you use the bottom one for your 'toad', you could use the top for a bike rack, but if you use the top one for your 'toad', then the bottom one just remains unused.

btw, there's no way a 'salesperson' can just say that any hitch device is 'illegal', as they don't know the usage of the device, which is the only way to determine whether it is useful and safe for it's purpose.
If you overweight ANY hitch device, it becomes 'illegal', no matter what size, type, or brand it is.
If you don't, then any device is very useful, and very legal, if it's built as a 'tow' device....simple.

Wasnít a salesman but a well respected shop thatís been installing base plates etc for many years. He has a large rv and a toad as well. All of the above is correct (weight wise) except there are some funky laws on the books and thought Iíd ask.
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 4000
State: Utah
Posts: 171
THOR #15943
The only restriction I'm aware of for the drop hitch is that you shouldn't couple a ReadyBrake to it, per their instructions.
GVP
__________________
GVP-The Boxcar Children is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
Member
 
Badmanrick's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
Posts: 85
THOR #15745
There are no restrictions as far as states go to adding a Dual hitch receiver as long as it is strong enough to support your Towed vehicle.
I have a Roadmaster 2Ē-6Ē dual drop receiver it is rated at 10,000 lbs.
there are other ones out there that may be rated higher. But there are a lot of Cheap ones only rated at 4000 lbs. so get one which will support your toad.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	726.5 KB
ID:	23072
__________________
BadmanRick
Good Sam Life Member
Good Sam Elite Member
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 482
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
There are no restrictions as far as states go to adding a Dual hitch receiver as long as it is strong enough to support your Towed vehicle.
I have a Roadmaster 2Ē-6Ē dual drop receiver it is rated at 10,000 lbs.
there are other ones out there that may be rated higher. But there are a lot of Cheap ones only rated at 4000 lbs. so get one which will support your toad.
Attachment 23072
What surprised me was the 10000 pound rated ones I looked at were only for flat towing. I was looking for one to support my bike rack and dolly tow up to 5000 pounds but couldn't find one.
__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29h outlaw
State: New Jersey
Posts: 295
THOR #5248
My only concern would be the tongue weight capacity is going to be reduced, because the extension acts as a lever.
__________________
Trkyte@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 480
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
My only concern would be the tongue weight capacity is going to be reduced, because the extension acts as a lever.
Hitches and extensions have ratings for that as well. Just as important than the pulling capacity.
__________________
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,055
THOR #12189
Is mounting the bike rack to the toad impractical for your application? Could save you a lot of worry.? Just a thought. Might also let you use the toad to explore and bikes to bike hike (e.g. trail riding)
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 482
THOR #9522
I did mount the rack on the toad. But with the bikes and cover on the toad I didn't dare drive the toad. I would have to remove the cover which needs a modification. Right now the only way to take the cover on and off is to remove it completely from the hitch.
__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #14
Member
 
Badmanrick's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
Posts: 85
THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
What surprised me was the 10000 pound rated ones I looked at were only for flat towing. I was looking for one to support my bike rack and dolly tow up to 5000 pounds but couldn't find one.
The Roadmaster 10000 lb capacity is a solid bar hitch and you can tow up to 10000 lbs. they are not just for toad towing. You can put a standard ball hitch in it and use as a regular hitch.
__________________
BadmanRick
Good Sam Life Member
Good Sam Elite Member
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 482
THOR #9522
I'll check with Roadmaster. On etrailer site there is a note to not use with a trailer. I assy a dolly would be similar with a non zero tongue weight.
__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Member
 
Badmanrick's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
Posts: 85
THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
I'll check with Roadmaster. On etrailer site there is a note to not use with a trailer. I assy a dolly would be similar with a non zero tongue weight.
The following Is directly from the Roadmaster site for the dual hitch.
As you can see they limit tong weight to 400 lbs.
Dual Hitch Receiver
With this dual-purpose hitch receiver, you can add a bike carrier or other hitch accessory to the rear of your motorhome.

• Fits most 2" hitch receivers
• Solid steel construction
• Computer-designed and -tested
• Powder-coated for maximum durability
• 10,000-pound capacity; 400-pound maximum tongue weight

077-2
077-4
077-6
077-8
077-10
Both receivers offset by two inches
One receiver offset by two inches, the other by four inches
One receiver offset by two inches, the other by six inches
One receiver offset by two inches, the other by eight inches
One receiver offset by two inches, the other by 10 inches
I feel Roadmaster is playing it safe and underrating the hitch. Mine is a solid bar hitch and very robust welds. Very well made hitch.
__________________
BadmanRick
Good Sam Life Member
Good Sam Elite Member
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:25 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,055
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
I did mount the rack on the toad. But with the bikes and cover on the toad I didn't dare drive the toad. I would have to remove the cover which needs a modification. Right now the only way to take the cover on and off is to remove it completely from the hitch.
If I read this right, you want to back the bikes up to the rear of the motorhome so they don't take a lot of turbulence abuse.

If that's the case, you limited your options and the double hitch seems like your only choice. But it's not. Can you somehow work around them while you're traveling and bound them to the MH when you'll be somewhere for a while?
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 482
THOR #9522
We put them on the toad while traveling and removed them when we were camping. In one overnight location we removed the bikes from the rack and strapped the cover to the rack so we could drive the toad.
__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
Posts: 6
THOR #15765
This is what I've done with mine... With our class C we had no spare tire so I built this and had it powder coated... Works great with a flat towed wrangler and a bike rack... I use ratchet straps to the frame of the MH and it's rock solid... Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_091814.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	23794Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_091900.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	23795
__________________

__________________
samsberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×