Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: New York
THOR #11044
Equinox vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

2019 Equinox Limited vs 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for flat towing

Have a dilemma, do I purchase the Equinox or the Jeep.

The Equinox has a maximum speed limit of 65 mph when flat towing and price is less than Jeep. Jeep has no speed limit when flat towing and heavier by 1500 lbs.

I have a 2018 Thor Palazzo 37.4 which I will be using to flat tow the vehicle.

Blue ox tow bar and Air force one braking system.

Any preferences and why.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I flat tow my 2018 Equinox. Running 65 isn't that bad and it has improved my fuel economy by about 1/2 mpg. Adds a little time to cover the same ground on a good day but weather is often a factor so running slower equals out a lot of the time. I like my Equinox for comfort and economy.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
We tow a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk a bit smaller and lighter (4200 lbs) than the Grand Cherokee. I like the added off road ability the Traihawk provides, but hey I am biased this is our 4th Jeep product 3 Libertys, a Commander and now the Cherokee Trailhawk. All have been solid dependable vehicles. We bought the Cherokee Trailhawk as a toad and as my wife's daily driver. The Commander we traded in at 5200 lbs IMHO was pushing the weight for a gasser.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Gonna be one of those ‘it depends’ answers... The Palazzo (dp) should easily tow either. Would depend on which better suits your needs for driving once there (and when not towing.)
I expect the Equinox would have an edge on mileage and you said cheaper... the Grand Cherokee the more capable 4WD and off road and well... it’s a Jeep thing... (from a Wrangler owner... and a GC years ago...).
Don’t think either is a bad choice... Both have the ‘creature comforts’.

I currently tow the Wrangler soft top... plan to setup Ford Explorer to tow as well -which also introduces the 65mph limit. Definitely a ‘creature comfort’ difference between these too... so choice will depend on how much driving we expect to do and if I need roof rack capabilities.

The fastest I typically drive towing is 65-70 with Wrangler, so not much of a difference.

Good luck with whatever you get!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
The Jeep will add an extra dimension as stated above. The ability to go offroad! And I mean offroad! The WK2 Trailhawk, will get you there with air conditioned seats, 500 watts, and lockers! OBTW it tows wonderfully and once you put it in neutral and plug the umbilical, no worries. Our Jeep helps us choose our next stop because that is where the fun begins. Yep im biased so...

We chose the Roadmaster OffRoad 2 towbar because of its ease of use and not requiring level ground to hood up. As for braking, well we got the Blue Ox Patriot II. It took an hour or so to install the kill switch. It does not invalidate any warranties, takes two minutes to hook up, and so far just does the job!

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190527_094703.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	18809   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_172917.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	18810  

Old 07-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
The Jeep will add an extra dimension as stated above. The ability to go offroad! And I mean offroad! The WK2 Trailhawk, will get you there with air conditioned seats, 500 watts, and lockers...

Good luck
That is one of the reasons we went with the WK2 Trailhawk.

Ours is in the shop getting outfitted with a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain and InvsiBrake setup. I went with the sterling because of the ease of hookup and disconnect and also the clean look of cables and wires running through the towbar channels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: New York
THOR #11044
We did it!!!!

We when for the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Like the off-road and ride plus the cool seats. Now getting it set up to flat tow. Will post pictures
Old 07-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
We just started looking for a toad for my Axis.

The "65 MPH" concerns me. I tend to travel 70 mph +. So that leaves the Equinox out.

I think (for me) I will look at a 2 or 3 years old Jeep Grand Cherokee. I dont need a new one... Plus I rather save the money. We are not in a rush for a toad so I have time on our side.

Not to mention advantage you can actually take a Jeep off road (tons of aftermarket parts to make it even better off road) and Jeeps just look so darn cool.

So you have my vote for the Jeep.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #14396
We tow a 2019 Equinox and the 65mph limit hasn't been an issue so far. We'e not used to driving any faster than that anyway. Never have had a Jeep so can't compare but the Equinox has been great so far. No problems and it's the perfect size for the two of us, our Golden, and some gear when exploring. When towing, we put our chairs and other awkwardly shaped or sized things in it.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by momartens View Post
and other awkwardly shaped or sized things in it.

Is that code for.....I put my "mother in law" in my truck...? LOL
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #11

THOR #12231
"trunk"
Old 07-29-2019, 02:16 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
[emoji847]@ Long and Winding Road
Old 07-29-2019, 02:26 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstreak View Post
We when for the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Like the off-road and ride plus the cool seats. Now getting it set up to flat tow. Will post pictures
Your gonna love that Cherokee Trail hawk! Tows like a dream and once you get where your going you can go out in style or off to the woods! Either way its a great vehicle! Enjoy the ride