Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2024, 10:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 211
THOR #20808
Flat Tire on Tow Dolly and what NOT to do

Traveling West on I-10 in Mississippi a couple of weeks back I was passed by a older Class A that is dolly towing a car. Moving faster than me at 70 plus but my Toad is 65MPH limited so that is not all that unusual.

Suddenly I see the left side Dolly tire explode with debris everywhere and the car jerked sideways. The car straightened out but now a trail of sparks from the now lower to the pavement ramp flew from the dolly.

Thinking that the driver knew that a problem existed I expected a quick pull off to the shoulder. But the driver continued on at speed FOR 3 MILES. Sparks flying, smoke everywhere. Had to trace it later on Google Map to see how far. Perhaps trying to get to the next exit.

Everybody on the road was slowing down and trying to get to the passing lane to avoid the flaming tire debris spewed along the road. The driver finally pulled over after a pickup truck flagged to pull over. I caught up and saw smoke and flame. Pic 1

The tire had come off the flaming rim and was on the shoulder burning. Pic 2

By now the extreme heat caused the CAR to alight on fire. I passed on the side and since I have no firefighting skills passed the vehicle. Pic 3

Later I checked Google maps which showed a long back up and hopefully fire trucks and emergency workers doing the best work possible.

Comments:
Lack of working TPMS on the tow dolly tires, which would have alarmed the driver. In seeing a couple of tow dolly's on this trip, does not appear many people employ them.

Lack of a working rear camera or not attentive to the screen. I check left, front, right, front, rear camera, front continuously all day.

My hope is that the damage was limited with the help of emergency responders, and that nobody was injured. And a lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-09_10-40-41_371.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	45624   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-09_10-40-52_917.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	45625  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-09_10-40-55_592.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	45626  

__________________
pneumatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 14,295
THOR #7035
So what do you think would put a bigger hit to his wallet?
An 8 sensor TPMS System?
An always on rear camera/monitor setup?
The insurance deductible for the trailer and car? (Or maybe two deductibles since there are two vehicles and maybe two insurance companies involved.)
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,141
THOR #16721
Sometimes unfortunate things happen to the most careful people. I feel for those unfortunate folks.

And sometimes clueless people invite their own little disasters which have the potential to injure/kill innocent people.

You just can't fix STUPID!!
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bob Nodine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
Posts: 696
THOR #21926
Since the tire exploded, my guess is this is a case where the owner of the tow dolly assumed because the tread was good on the tow dolly tires they were ok. I would be checking the date code on the tires and if they were over seven years old would replace them.
__________________
Bob
2022 Quantum JM31
2023 Colorado Z71
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 615
THOR #19887
and that is the reason I have a good TPMS and rear cameral always on....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ericmac450's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
Posts: 150
THOR #22917
I had almost the exact same thing happen with my tow dolly. The tire blew out and went to the rim. I felt it very quickly and saw it on the camera so I was able to get pulled over very quickly.

While I do not have a TPMS on all my tires, they were very new tires and everything was setup as well as possible. My tow vehicle is very heavy, so we have switched over to a flat tow dinghy.

They should have noticed it popped, but it wasn't a drastic feeling for me, the dolly still drove pretty solid even on the rim.
__________________
ericmac450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,434
THOR #17765
I have tons sensors on the dolly tires as well as the motorhome. And rear tires of car. 10 altogether
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
Posts: 5,112
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I have tons sensors on the dolly tires as well as the motorhome. And rear tires of car. 10 altogether
Great job!
__________________
LAS CRUCES 2020 Thor Vegas 25.6
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
macdaddy1111's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 915
THOR #13505
Delta fire!! Time to Jetason!
__________________
Retired Squid who has a Retired Squid that drives him around in a RV!
macdaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:38 PM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mandalay 40E
State: Ohio
Posts: 64
THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post

Comments:
Lack of working TPMS on the tow dolly tires, which would have alarmed the driver. In seeing a couple of tow dolly's on this trip, does not appear many people employ them.

Lack of a working rear camera or not attentive to the screen. I check left, front, right, front, rear camera, front continuously all day...
The real problem here is a driver with a total lack of awareness of his own driving situation. Does he never look in his mirrors? This is so typical these days. Drivers who just zone out and stare straight ahead and never check their dash gauges or their mirrors. Or worse, driving and texting.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He got what he deserved.
__________________
RV Driver
2006 Mandalay 40E
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
Posts: 484
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
The real problem here is a driver with a total lack of awareness of his own driving situation. Does he never look in his mirrors? This is so typical these days. Drivers who just zone out and stare straight ahead and never check their dash gauges or their mirrors. Or worse, driving and texting.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He got what he deserved.
another reason my back cameras are always on so i can see the toad or the trailer.


and them things we have hanging on the side with reflective glass...i look at them ALOT
__________________
retired Navy driving the short bus 2008 Tuscany 4056
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,434
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
The real problem here is a driver with a total lack of awareness of his own driving situation. Does he never look in his mirrors? This is so typical these days. Drivers who just zone out and stare straight ahead and never check their dash gauges or their mirrors. Or worse, driving and texting.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He got what he deserved.
In my unit, I cannot see the car or dolly with the side mirrors. I must punch the button for my emergency flashers for the back up camera to come on. Even then, itís so grainy I canít make out much detail. But I can hear. And I do have all tires on the ground monitored by a goog TPMS system.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:56 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 114
THOR #30798
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
Traveling West on I-10 in Mississippi a couple of weeks back I was passed by a older Class A that is dolly towing a car. Moving faster than me at 70 plus but my Toad is 65MPH limited so that is not all that unusual.

Suddenly I see the left side Dolly tire explode with debris everywhere and the car jerked sideways. The car straightened out but now a trail of sparks from the now lower to the pavement ramp flew from the dolly.

Thinking that the driver knew that a problem existed I expected a quick pull off to the shoulder. But the driver continued on at speed FOR 3 MILES. Sparks flying, smoke everywhere. Had to trace it later on Google Map to see how far. Perhaps trying to get to the next exit.

Everybody on the road was slowing down and trying to get to the passing lane to avoid the flaming tire debris spewed along the road. The driver finally pulled over after a pickup truck flagged to pull over. I caught up and saw smoke and flame. Pic 1

The tire had come off the flaming rim and was on the shoulder burning. Pic 2

By now the extreme heat caused the CAR to alight on fire. I passed on the side and since I have no firefighting skills passed the vehicle. Pic 3

Later I checked Google maps which showed a long back up and hopefully fire trucks and emergency workers doing the best work possible.

Comments:
Lack of working TPMS on the tow dolly tires, which would have alarmed the driver. In seeing a couple of tow dolly's on this trip, does not appear many people employ them.

Lack of a working rear camera or not attentive to the screen. I check left, front, right, front, rear camera, front continuously all day.

My hope is that the damage was limited with the help of emergency responders, and that nobody was injured. And a lesson learned.

That completely encapsulates what I don't like about the idea of dragging a tow-dolly, and why we went 4-down from the start. We had a travel trailer for about 8 years before our Class A - we put a lot of miles on that little trailer, and learned quickly just how crappy trailer tires are. You get like 10k miles out of the things, maybe 6-7,000 if they are Walmart China Bombs, or maybe 15k if Saluns or Carlaisles, but generally, anything after 10k you are really on borrowed time.

Using a tow dolly means more trailer tires. Yuck. I wasn't interested in the least. The last thing I wanted to deal with would be another "DIY" removal of a trailer tire showing cords all the way around in a Walmart parking lot because the Walmart techs won't touch the RV, but they will change the tire for you (and usually the only place in a small town that has -any- tires.)
__________________
NordicVetMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:39 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Scubawise's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
Posts: 5,112
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicVetMBA View Post
That completely encapsulates what I don't like about the idea of dragging a tow-dolly, and why we went 4-down from the start. We had a travel trailer for about 8 years before our Class A - we put a lot of miles on that little trailer, and learned quickly just how crappy trailer tires are. You get like 10k miles out of the things, maybe 6-7,000 if they are Walmart China Bombs, or maybe 15k if Saluns or Carlaisles, but generally, anything after 10k you are really on borrowed time.

Using a tow dolly means more trailer tires. Yuck. I wasn't interested in the least. The last thing I wanted to deal with would be another "DIY" removal of a trailer tire showing cords all the way around in a Walmart parking lot because the Walmart techs won't touch the RV, but they will change the tire for you (and usually the only place in a small town that has -any- tires.)
Well..glad we have never towed ..
Our 2015 colt bullet TT got us 50,000 miles on OG tires
__________________
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #15
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2024 Axis 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 34
THOR #28777
Tow Dolly and TPMS

I tow my car on a dolly with my Axis 24.1. Not only do I have TPMS on all 6 tires on the Axis, but I have them on both dolly tires and both rear tires of my car.

Like others have mentioned, I am regularly scanning my back-up camera, mirrors, gauges, the road ahead and then back to the back-up camera to repeat the process.

It is very sad that this happened to that person. No one deserves that and we don't know the driver's situation that allowed him/her to not see what was happening. We can speculate for ever as to what was happening inside the motorhome, but this is a good reminder to all of us to be aware all around, all the time no matter what is towed or how it is towed.

Safe travels to all.
Andy
__________________
Agvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #16
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 889
THOR #17478
When I had a class C and a tow dolly, we blew a tire on the dolly on I80 in Nebraska. I knew it before the pressure monitor went off. I cannot understand how a driver could not unless it would be a heavy diesel pusher. The pavement was too narrow, but there was just enough of it and dirt to get fully off. Getting that car off the dolly with trucks and cars going 70 plus inches from me. We had just finished getting through 20 miles of road construction without any pull over. I managed to change that tire, because it was on the passenger side. I never travel without a spare tire until the diesel pusher.
__________________
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Honda CRV
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flat, tire, tow dolly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2