Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #11525
Flat tow of 2108 Jeep Wrangler JL

I plan to flat tow my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL automatic using a blue or system. I've been looking online and found videos that say something about keeping the key in the ignition with Accessory on so that the front wheels will turn. But when I look in the manual, all it talks about putting transfer case in neutral and auto trans in park. Am I to leave the accessories on also?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Those videos are dated. Your year jeep does not need the key on.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Squires View Post
I plan to flat tow my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL automatic using a blue or system. I've been looking online and found videos that say something about keeping the key in the ignition with Accessory on so that the front wheels will turn. But when I look in the manual, all it talks about putting transfer case in neutral and auto trans in park. Am I to leave the accessories on also?
Just bought a 2017 JK here to tow (one reason was I didn't need to leave the key in the ignition)

How do you like your JL?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #4

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Just bought a 2017 JK here to tow (one reason was I didn't need to leave the key in the ignition)

How do you like your JL?

So far I’m a bit frustrated with the JL as a lot of accessories that fit the JK do not fit the JL.

I do not seem to have a hot plug for operating the braking system. So far it looks like I still have to have the assy on. I wonder if there is a way to make the 12v plug always hot?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Last Wrangler we had to leave the key in was a 1990 YJ.

If you have center console between the seats look in there. On our 2016 the USB is on the IGN but the regular 12 volt is hot all the time.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #6

Model: hurricane 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #6690
I am setting up 2014 jeep grand Cherokee summit for flat towing, and have run across posts about "death wobble " and ideas?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The only time you need to leave the key in the ignition is if you have a locking steering column. The steering column must be unlocked for any vehicle to tow properly.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I am setting up 2014 jeep grand Cherokee summit for flat towing, and have run across posts about "death wobble " and ideas?

Death Wobble! This does not sound like a good thing. Please tell me more.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Tennessee
THOR #6882
I tow my 2018 Wrangler JL Sport S with Roadmaster base plate, Nighthawk tow bar and Invisibrake with ignition off , 4 wheel shifter in N and transmission shifter in P. Tows like a charm.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #10

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwhig View Post
I tow my 2018 Wrangler JL Sport S with Roadmaster base plate, Nighthawk tow bar and Invisibrake with ignition off , 4 wheel shifter in N and transmission shifter in P. Tows like a charm.

What do you do about providing power to the brake controller. My 12v assy plug is only hot when on
Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #11

THOR #6882
My installer set up that power goes to invisibrake with motor home parking lights on.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #12

THOR #11525
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwhig View Post
My installer set up that power goes to invisibrake with motor home parking lights on.

A little off the original topic, but your mention of the Invisibrake system was intriguing. I just purchased a blue ox towing system with the patriot 2 braking. I was not pleased to learn about this big clunky thing that I had to put in the front floorboard of the toad every time I had to tow. Not quite sure I understand how it works. They talk about this pulley system to pull in the brake. Do you have to disconnect the the pulley cable when done towing our do you just leave it in place? That is, just disconnect the tow bars, safety chains, etc and drive away?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #13

THOR #6882
Quote:
A little off the original topic, but your mention of the Invisibrake system was intriguing. I just purchased a blue ox towing system with the patriot 2 braking. I was not pleased to learn about this big clunky thing that I had to put in the front floorboard of the toad every time I had to tow. Not quite sure I understand how it works. They talk about this pulley system to pull in the brake. Do you have to disconnect the the pulley cable when done towing our do you just leave it in place? That is, just disconnect the tow bars, safety chains, etc and drive away?
The invisibrake sits permanently under my driver's seat. When I arrive at destination, I disconnect towbar, chains, and safety cord to engage invisibrake in case toad were to break away. I went with invisibrake to avoid exactly what you are describing. I a rv friend who has towed with his invisibrake for 1000s of trouble free miles.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Illinois
THOR #11225
I just installed the invisibrake , base plate and ran the brake monitor cable to the cab of the coach.

Base plate install 3 hours
Invisibrake install 5 hours
Monitor cable and all wiring for jeep was 2 hours.

Worth every penny not to lug around setup and remove the other systems.

Connect everything takes 3 minuets and most important is disconnect is 45 seconds
Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
What do you do about providing power to the brake controller. My 12v assy plug is only hot when on
Invisibrake connects to both the MH battery (via tail light pin or accessory pin in the trailer harness) and to the toad battery.
In my case - a direct wired/fused connection to toad battery. (My year tows with battery disconnected from the rest of the toad.)
Allows Invisibrake to charge the toad battery from MH - and provides power to Invisibrake in the event of a break away.

In your case - can try to rewire assy outlet - but likely easier to run a new wire to fuse block or battery...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #16

THOR #4366
Quote:
Death Wobble! This does not sound like a good thing. Please tell me more.
This needs to be a separate thread, basically a shimmy condition with many causes.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #17

State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Quote:
So far I’m a bit frustrated with the JL as a lot of accessories that fit the JK do not fit the JL.

I do not seem to have a hot plug for operating the braking system. So far it looks like I still have to have the assy on. I wonder if there is a way to make the 12v plug always hot?

The jl wrangler has a plug in the rear that is always hot.I use it for my braking system.You just need to purchase an extension 12 volt plug to reach it