Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
So has anyone tried backing up with a towed with someone holding its steering wheel straight? Might have to start the engine so the power steering works. It certainly SHOULD work and it’s a good bit easier than unhooking and hooking back up.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #42
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
So has anyone tried backing up with a towed with someone holding its steering wheel straight? Might have to start the engine so the power steering works. It certainly SHOULD work and it’s a good bit easier than unhooking and hooking back up.
Backing up in a straight line for a few feet is possible without anyone holding the steering wheel. Backing up in a straight line for more than a few feet is possible with someone holding the steering wheel but you may still put exceptional sideways stress on the towbar and baseplate if the toad tracks just slightly to the side. Backing up around any bend, even with someone operating the toad steering wheel, is almost impossible to do without putting large sideways stresses on the towbar and baseplate - best not to even try.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #43

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Pete,

Short answer -- yes. Disclaimer -- don't even consider trying this if you're unsure.

Long answer -- a couple years ago we pulled over for lunch in Bishop, CA. Instead of pulling along the curb to a point where no one would be able to park in front of me (lesson learned), someone parked right in front of me. This person wasn't to be found anywhere.

Fortunately, I had about 8 feet of space behind me. The MH and Equinox were in a nice straight line and the street was relatively level. I undid the braking cable from the Ready Brute since it's a surge brake system (backing up would potentially engage the brakes on the Equinox). My wife got in the car with instructions to hold the steering wheel firmly so there would be no drift in either direction -- and to honk if she noticed ANYTHING not going to plan. Car in neutral, cell phones connected as a call between us, speaker-phone engaged.

I was also able to monitor things with the back-up camera. I crept back about as slow as molasses in January. I only needed to go back about 4 feet before I had enough room to pull forward. All went well.

I could have unhitched, moved the car, moved the MH, and then reconnected everything. It was 110 that day, so this was my choice.

Like I said, don't try this at home unless you're ready to pay the consequences should something go bad.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #44

THOR #6826
Good advice. I think I’ll avoid trying it!
Old 07-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #45

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
My cardinal rule is NEVER get in a hurry - unless it's an emergency, and never take risks you can avoid. Sure it takes extra time to unhitch the toad and move it... and it's a little more work. But why risk bending or breaking something just because you wanted to try a risky shortcut? I've seen people drop their trailer, move their tow vehicle and rehitch... just to get a safe turning radius. Why wouldn't the same principle apply to a MH/toad?
Old 08-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #46

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Chevy Spark - flat toad

I did some research and the Chevy Spark - manual transmission - is flat towable. So I bought one specifically for that reason.
Simple to flat tow - just disconnect the battery (easy knob available on Amazon), put in neutral, and make sure the parking brake is off.
40mpg
And at 2700 pounds I barely know it’s there.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #47

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I did some research and the Chevy Spark - manual transmission - is flat towable. So I bought one specifically for that reason.

Simple to flat tow - just disconnect the battery (easy knob available on Amazon), put in neutral, and make sure the parking brake is off.

40mpg

And at 2700 pounds I barely know it’s there.

I just made the same change. Sold the Wrangler and bought a Spark. Transferred the Stay in Play brake system and self installed my baseplate. I used a remote battery disconnect so my prep to tow is even easier. Connect to coach, put in neutral with brake off, flip the brake switch and press the battery disconnect switch - all from the driver’s seat. Literally 5 seconds. And the Spark is a surprisingly able and fun to drive second car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	32549  
Old 08-05-2021, 04:34 AM   #48

THOR #16721
All I can say is if you're in a speed contest seeing how fast you can hook/unhook your towed vehicle... there's an expensive accident waiting to happen. It's not a race... take as long as YOU need to do it SAFELY!
Old 08-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #49

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
All I can say is if you're in a speed contest seeing how fast you can hook/unhook your towed vehicle... there's an expensive accident waiting to happen. It's not a race... take as long as YOU need to do it SAFELY!

It’s not about SPEED, it’s about simplifying the process and minimizing steps. The more complicated the process the more likely it is that something will get missed or done improperly.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #50

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
I’m staying at NSA Annapolis for a week. The sign to the camping area is confusingly placed and doesn’t have an arrow. So - I ended up down a gravel path to a dead end.
Had to unhook the toad and turn a 40’ RV around in a 42’ wide area. I was pushing bushes, making a K turn look like an “asterisk” turn.
I’m glad the spark was so easy and quick to unhook.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #51

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It’s not about SPEED, it’s about simplifying the process and minimizing steps. The more complicated the process the more likely it is that something will get missed or done improperly.
That's why I developed a checklist. The "process" can be accelerated with practice (like a pit crew), but "minimizing steps" and simplification was done in development of the checklist.
I found (from experience ) when I try shortcuts/step-skipping/rushing instead of meticulously following my checklist, "oh crap" things happen.
To each their own... but that's the way I roll! Safe travels!