Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29TB
State: Ontario
THOR #5947
Smile Flat tow

Hi Everyone, New to the forum and "new" (since August) to the RV life. Former Power Boater. New adventure. Coach is a Class B 29TB Thor, V 10 Ford gas.... in amazing condition. Thinking either Toyota Corolla MANUAL toad OR Ford Focus MANUAL toad to flat tow. Have great access to either at superb pricing...all comments appreciated including make of tow bar and any brake suggestions. Will be heading south to the warmth from Northern Ontario we hope for years to come. All other comments greatly are welcome!

Old 11-17-2016, 03:52 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaz View Post
Hi Everyone, New to the forum and "new" (since August) to the RV life. Former Power Boater. New adventure. Coach is a Class B 29TB Thor, V 10 Ford gas.... in amazing condition. Thinking either Toyota Corolla MANUAL toad OR Ford Focus MANUAL toad to flat tow. Have great access to either at superb pricing...all comments appreciated including make of tow bar and any brake suggestions. Will be heading south to the warmth from Northern Ontario we hope for years to come. All other comments greatly are welcome!

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your coach purchase!

The ultimate resource for cars to tow is the annual Motorhome Magazine Dhingy Gude. Here's the site: http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorh...inghyGuide.pdf A quick check shows either of these can be towed.

We had Blue Ox on our first car, then when we set up our newer car, Roadmaster was the only available option. Blue Ox and Roadmaster are both great companies with great products. The folks at etrailer.com will help guide you. Check the baseplate prices for both the cars you are considering. Shop around on the hardware and the install. If the installer can get the hardware for the same price you can, you might as well let them make a little on the margin.

When we started towing our Miata ten years ago, I installed a Unified Tow Brake system, which mounts to both the car and the coach. (No longer sold.) Some like the Brake Buddy type units, which you have to put in the car each time you hook up. If you want a system that you permanently mount to the car, check out Roadmaster's Invisibrake. Very similar to our 10 yr old UTBrake.

Word of caution, when you flat tow, you CAN'T BACK UP, more than a couple of feet, and only if you go straight back. It takes a bit more planning to get in and out of gas stations and any parking area. It wasn't cheap to set it all up and connect the brake and turn lights, but we intended to tow for a lot of years and a lot of miles. Traveling without a car would really cramp our style, the way we like to travel.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine
Word of caution, when you flat tow, you CAN'T BACK UP, more than a couple of feet, and only if you go straight back. It takes a bit more planning to get in and out of gas stations and any parking area. It wasn't cheap to set it all up and connect the brake and turn lights, but we intended to tow for a lot of years and a lot of miles. Traveling without a car would really cramp our style, the way we like to travel.
Well that kind of goes for any dingy towing (unless its 4 wheels off the ground on a dedicated trailer). Can't back up using a dolly either--doubly so for one with surge brakes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I saw a guy at a campground once that apparently didn't know he shouldn't back up. It's amazing how easy a 20,000-pound motorhome can push a car across gravel. Front wheels left a couple of deep ruts though.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well that kind of goes for any dingy towing (unless its 4 wheels off the ground on a dedicated trailer). Can't back up using a dolly either--doubly so for one with surge brakes.

Right, Jamie. Mr Obvious has struck again. But then our friend Chance pointed out an example. Towing anything makes for some extra consideration. Since the OP is a former power boater, there was probably some experience with trailering a boat!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your coach purchase!

The ultimate resource for cars to tow is the annual Motorhome Magazine Dhingy Gude. Here's the site: http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorh...inghyGuide.pdf A quick check shows either of these can be towed.

We had Blue Ox on our first car, then when we set up our newer car, Roadmaster was the only available option. Blue Ox and Roadmaster are both great companies with great products. The folks at etrailer.com will help guide you. Check the baseplate prices for both the cars you are considering. Shop around on the hardware and the install. If the installer can get the hardware for the same price you can, you might as well let them make a little on the margin.

When we started towing our Miata ten years ago, I installed a Unified Tow Brake system, which mounts to both the car and the coach. (No longer sold.) Some like the Brake Buddy type units, which you have to put in the car each time you hook up. If you want a system that you permanently mount to the car, check out Roadmaster's Invisibrake. Very similar to our 10 yr old UTBrake.

Word of caution, when you flat tow, you CAN'T BACK UP, more than a couple of feet, and only if you go straight back. It takes a bit more planning to get in and out of gas stations and any parking area. It wasn't cheap to set it all up and connect the brake and turn lights, but we intended to tow for a lot of years and a lot of miles. Traveling without a car would Not really cramp our style, the way we like to travel.
Unified brake, or U.S. Gear braking systems are still available. I just had my U.S. Gear unified braking system moved from my former coach to a little Gemini we just bought. The Tech managed to connect things backward, and blew the controller in the car and in the coach. Parts are still readily available, fortunately. Now the reality is towing with the Gemini is not exactly like towing with our former diesel pusher, but possible, though I don't think I'm going to tow over any major mountain ranges. It is useful for local towing and short trips that don't involve a lot of climbing or descending. One positive of the Gemini is its small enough that it fits in parking lots, so stocking up on the road is possible, not really an option with the big pusher.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 AM   #7

THOR #5947
Thank you! Will be in touch...with more questions!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #8

THOR #5947
Thank you! Actually was also in the Marina business...have towed ...up to 39 feet on a regular tri axle (was a Cigarette 39) behind GMC Dually...LOL...I am more concerned about what to actually buy to tow!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:07 AM   #9

THOR #5947
Thank you!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #10

THOR #5821
With your 29 footer and the Ford V10 you can probably tow more than I can with my 25 foot Gemini. My tow car is a Chevy HHR about 3100 pounds, and with the unified braking system in place, the car will not or should not over tax the brakes in the Gemini, never an issue with our former 41 foot pusher. I am now dealing with a small V6 diesel about 188HP, nothing like the 9 liter Cummins I had, which could probably have towed the Queen Mary off its moorings. I tend to be over cautious about towing and weight limits, not only do you need power to pull, but weight in the towing vehicle to control the towed vehicle in sudden unexpected maneuvers, and of course the ability to stop everything when something unexpected jumps out in front of you. To your question of tow equipment, I have used a Blue Ox Aladin tow bar for years, and of course the U.S. Gear or unified brake system.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #4532
towing

Hi I picked up my new 2016 25.2 Vegas coach in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and dolly towed a Nissan Versa (2455 lb) all the way to central British Columbia without any problems. i did burn significantly more gas though. Part of the reason we bought this small coach was so that we would not have to use a tow car anymore and that we could take it into more campgrounds and roadways. Enjoying it so far. Tucked away for the winter now and missing it.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

THOR #5821
Agree, we just got tired of dealing with the huge size of the pusher and towing, so thought we would try the little Gemini. Just picked it up, and haven't even been out in it yet, though we plan to soon. I have towed the car with it, and it seems so far to do a credible job, nothing like the pusher did, but then I did not expect that either. Our feelings are the Gemini is so small, we can get away without towing, most of the time.