Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Maiden Voyage

Finally got the Xterra sorted out and we've hit the road! Spent last night near Tuscaloosa at Jennings Ferry Campground (picture), and just arrived in Slidell. Going to Jazz Fest this weekend.

Boiled crawfish this evening!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190501_164625.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	17033  

Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556823885
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awesome.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	17034  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Cool! Be safe and have Fun!!
Old 05-02-2019, 11:58 PM   #4

THOR #14508
The ACE did very well, with the exception of a bit of buffeting by the wind and passing trucks. Still in the learning curve here, but will be doing some suspension modifications, per the posts here...

...once we recover from some of the cash deficits caused by buying all the towing equipment! At least I did the installation, and will do so with the suspension bits.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:20 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats great. Once you get the RV sorted out with "must have" your add on's and any factory defect you will be one happy camper.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

THOR #14508
Forgot to mention - the previous owner didn't do the cheap handling fix, so that will be the first step, and won't cost anything but time and maybe a busted knuckle (certainly not the first!) And actually, the buffeting wasn't too drastic, so I'm curious to see how much difference it will make. Main thing I'm concerned about is a bit of wandering off to the right, so an alignment is also in the works.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #7

THOR #14508
Follow-up now that we're back home:

The ACE did very well. As I mentioned, there were a few issues with buffeting by crosswinds and passing trucks, but they weren't all that bad. I will be doing the CHF soon and see how that does. Next step will be a steering stabilizer, and unless I miss my guess, those two mods should take care of most of the issues.

Gas mileage was a fair 8.6 pulling the Xterra between 55 and 65 mph. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.

And more importantly, Jimmy Buffett was fantastic at Jazz Fest! Played nearly two hours, and it was obvious he was having as much fun as the audience. We OD'd on boiled crawfish and shrimp po-boys while in N.O., but wonder of wonders - I only gained about a half-pound. Probably sweated it all off at Jazz Fest!

But back to task, this trip did wonders for my self-confidence driving the ACE and pulling the Xterra. I won't go so far to say that I didn't know it was back there, but once underway it was quite easy. The rear-view camera is a plus, just to keep an eye on things.

Looking forward to the next venture!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #8
JEL

Model: 31w
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15301
Question Suspension

Getting ready for our maiden voyage in our new Thor 31w. Has anyone made any mods to there suspension? Airbags? Sway bar?