Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Flat towing Chevy Sonic 2020 RS Hatchback

Looking for information on the tow wiring for the car lights.

I have found that there are incandescent as well as LED. My question is if anyone know if this car needs the smart diodes to operate all the brake, signal, and night lights for the wiring set up.

Also I have the Blue OX set up tow bar and the front mounting plate and not sure who is best qualified to install the tow plate on the car. Autobody shop, as it need to drop the front bumper or any trailer service centers. Looking for anyone with the same hunt for answers like I have.

Thanks Ed

Old 08-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
My 2016 Sonic may be different from your 2020 Sonic AFA the lighting, but generally you will always need blocking diodes if you tap into the Toad's lighting system to prevent power from feeding back to the towing vehicle. With CAN bus considerations as well I decided to just insert new bulbs into the rear housing using this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAPEHA

Any well mechanically inclined person can follow the instructions to remove the front facia and install the baseplate. I used a Roadmaster baseplate but the BlueOx shouldn't be much different. ETrailer usually has some good videos of the install.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I’ve got a ‘20 Spark, slightly larger Chevy (SoKorea) chassis
I followed the videos on-line to DIY install the baseplate. It was not difficult, just need good tool set.

Regarding the integrated lights…I have yet to install those. Although they would be very convenient.
I currently use magnetic trailer lights that I mount on rear roof of vehicle.
They work just fine for $33
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93FD41FB-DC78-4C5C-939C-7999BF2CF6EF.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	32570  
Old 08-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #4

State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Thanks,

As I thought but was aware of the option of independent brake lights.

I may just set it up with the diodes and be done with it so everything is just in and done. The time may be worth the few extra bucks for the inline connection
Old 08-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I just self installed the set up on a 2017 Spark. The Blue Ox baseplate was surprisingly straight forward. Removing the fascia and bumper looks intimidating but really isn’t and the only drilling involved is slightly enlarging a single existing hole. (A Sonic might be different…) Trimming the grill WAS intimidating but turned out well. I installed separate LED bulbs in the tail light using a Roadmaster kit. It was WAY easier than tapping into the wiring and installing diodes. The hardest part for me was installing my Stay in Play brake system. It’s not really difficult but the Spark is so small that it’s difficult to find the space for everything. If you don’t want to do the work yourself any decent auto mechanic whose willing could do it. If you haven’t got one of those either you should try to find someone who has done it before. I’d try an independent RV repair shop. Expect to pay up to $1,000 for labor for a full job