Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 02:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Road braking (and tow bars and lighting, oh my)

We have never used a toad, but it may be time. We have a gas Class A (Thor ACE 30.1) (hydraulic brakes) and really don't want to have something sitting on the floor of the toad and clamped to the brake pedal. POSSIBLE toad is an old Subaru Legacy Outback, manual transmission. If you've got a great suggestion for some other toad, please share it.

I started out asking about brakes, but feel free to add your suggestions for tow bars and toad lights, as well. Across the board, we're looking for ease of use and reliability more than economy.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 AM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
InvisiBrake

But on the other hand, I use the RVIBrake. It only sits on the floor between the brake and driver's seat while towing. What is your issue? When not being towed, it sits in a case on the rear floor. It only takes about 10 minutes to hook up.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:53 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #2917
Roadmaster tow bar, baseplates and wiring kit for tail lights.
RVIBrake2 is easy to setup for each trip.

We tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4.

Also have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero setup with baseplates and wiring kit that we towed before we got the Jeep. Uses the same towbar and RVIBrake2.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #5809
Aside from the fact that I don't feel comfortable with an essential function being assigned to something sitting on the floor, I don't want to spend those ten minutes. Just like I don't want to be taking fuses in and out, and so on.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We have an invisibrake for our wrangler unlimited and it works great. Don’t even know it’s in the Jeep all you have to do is plug it in and you are good to go. We have roadmaster baseplate with their falcon all terrain. Depending on the angle that you stop it’s pretty easy to get off and on. Have had to use a mallet a couple of times to get the pin out.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Same situation here. Just this weekend, while traveling back and forth to Florida in the car, I found myself watching for and looking at every motorhome carrying a car with them. The three basic options, 4 down, dolly or haul on trailer..and I saw multiple examples of all three. If I were pulling the trigger today it would be purchase an older 2 door Wrangler with manual transmission and haul it on a short, tandem trailer. With the manual jeep I would always have the 4 down option later. Having a short 4WD jeep would allow exploration on trails and there's room in the back for the pooches. May change my mind but avidly looking for a tricked out older jeep in the late 90's to early 2000's. The 4 down option seems like too many things having to work in sync and the total costs would pay for the trailer plus some. I can also carry other things on the trailer like ladder, extra fuel, portable generator(s), etc. Gives you more options.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Looking at options myself. But a trailer is more weight and you then have the issue of a third piece of equipment at both home and at the campground. Some campgrounds may have an issue.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Diesel power plus light Jeep will make up difference. Tow capacity is 10K. Already wired from factory for electric brakes with integral controller. Trailer will have electric brakes on both axles. Pull trailer out of the way with Jeep or mostly find pull thru sites. Everything is a trade off and sacrifice for something else. There's a lot of places we will go and not even need a tow car. Will rent in other places. Just looking for a simple option with no drama.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
Aside from the fact that I don't feel comfortable with an essential function being assigned to something sitting on the floor, I don't want to spend those ten minutes. Just like I don't want to be taking fuses in and out, and so on.
I didn't want to have to deal with setup each time either... Both for me - or if someone else needed to do it in a pinch.
I also didn't want the 'dead pedal' braking - but rather make use of the toad's power brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
We have an invisibrake for our wrangler unlimited and it works great. Don’t even know it’s in the Jeep all you have to do is plug it in and you are good to go. We have roadmaster baseplate with their falcon all terrain. Depending on the angle that you stop it’s pretty easy to get off and on. Have had to use a mallet a couple of times to get the pin out.
Same setup for my Wrangler - with the Invisibrake I just connect the towing harness, breakaway cable, and it is powered and ready to go - complete with using the toad's power brakes.
And the all terrain tow bar has worked great too.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
It’s nice having the Jeep brakes working and then the tires on the Jeep I don’t have to worry about them being China bombs
Old 09-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Towed for years, using a US Gear braking system. All proportional braking, based on how the motor home is being braked. Car has its own vacuum pump, so its own power braking system is used. Nothing to set up, if its wired correctly, just plug your umbilical in and the braking system is activated. Control on motorhome dash tells you all is well.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a Brake Buddy sitting on the floor of my Jeep Wrangler. It does take maybe 5 minutes to set it up. The reason I went with the Brake Buddy is I will likely be trading in about 5 years and didn't want to reinvest every time I buy a new toad.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #13250
Towing with a car dolly

I have a new Thor Class C 26HE and want to tow my Ford Edge with a tow dolly, any comments or suggestions
Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #14

THOR #4488
I have a Ford Edge as well. It is all wheel drive, therefore using a tow dolley lifting the front wheels off the ground won't work. My 2010 can be flat towed, following specific directions such as periodic starting.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybiker View Post
I have a new Thor Class C 26HE and want to tow my Ford Edge with a tow dolly, any comments or suggestions
Two types of dolly brakes- electric and hydraulic surge. Surge is simpler, but the electric is more controllable. Three different designs of dollies - wheel steer, pivoting pan, and fixed pan. Wheel steer allows tighter turns with wider vehicles. Pivoting pan - simple and cheep but wide and heavy vehicles may not fit. Fixed pan - simplest and lightest. The Ford Edge is a heavy vehicle at just over 4,000 lbs so check to make sure that the dolly you want can safely tow that much weight.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

THOR #13250
Thanks Mirimar...I have a 2 wheel drive and it says in manual to load front wheels... I am just not sure if I am going with no brakes or surge brakes? Anyone have experience to give me advice.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #17

THOR #4488
Most states will require brakes on the toad. I have no familiarity with using a tow dolley so I can't advise on types of brake systems.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #18

THOR #11130
It is my understanding that all toads have either electric or surge brakes. Either way, you are required to have brakes if you exceed a certain weight...not sure what that is.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #19

THOR #13250
Brakes on tow dolly

Does anyone know the legal rules on having brakes on tow dolly?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Most dolly's come with brakes unless you specifically order it without brakes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote