Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2020, 02:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Flat towing JT

Ordered a Jeep Gladiator. And wondering if anyone else has flat towed it. What base plate and wiring kit did you use? TKS.

Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Ordered a Jeep Gladiator. And wondering if anyone else has flat towed it. What base plate and wiring kit did you use? TKS.
Congrats Baddad53! Our SOB only has a hitch rating of 5000 pounds and the Glad would not fit in the garage so we went with a JLUR. We will be getting the Blue Ox set up. If you go to their web site it will give you all the parts you need. Congrats again and maybe we will cross paths in the future. What color Gladiator did you order?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
I'm in the process of switching over our tow system from our Xterra to our new (to us) '18 Wrangler JLU. I have a Demco Commander tow bar, Demco baseplate, and the Invisibrake system. Luckily, all I needed to order was the baseplate and wiring kits for the lighting and Invisibrake. Nice thing about the Demco baseplate is the connection tabs that are really nicely tucked away under the bumper and have tabless twist-lock removable arms that stay on the tow bar.

Mickey
Old 02-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #4

THOR #2526
The color is called Gobi. It's a light brown. We have Desert ( lighter brown) on current JK. It never looks dirty. I have a demco set up now. Like it. The Jk is a Sahara. The new JT is a Rubicon. So was concerned about the base plate affecting the approach angle , not that I would do any rock crawling. I am getting the steel front bumper and going see if I can attach links directly to the bumper. And hookup that way where you normally have d links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
I'm in the process of switching over our tow system from our Xterra to our new (to us) '18 Wrangler JLU. I have a Demco Commander tow bar, Demco baseplate, and the Invisibrake system. Luckily, all I needed to order was the baseplate and wiring kits for the lighting and Invisibrake. Nice thing about the Demco baseplate is the connection tabs that are really nicely tucked away under the bumper and have tabless twist-lock removable arms that stay on the tow bar.

Mickey
Old 02-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

THOR #2526
Quote:
The color is called Gobi. It's a light brown. We have Desert ( lighter brown) on current JK. It never looks dirty. I have a demco set up now. Like it. The Jk is a Sahara. The new JT is a Rubicon. So was concerned about the base plate affecting the approach angle , not that I would do any rock crawling. I am getting the steel front bumper and going see if I can attach links directly to the bumper. And hookup that way where you normally have d links.
Talked to Demco, they said I need base plate but that it comes with new skid plate. Part # 9519339.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I am jealous (drools) as Jeep owner for the past 20 years me thinks the Gladiator is a total beast! Just had the Cherokee in for service and was in and out of the one in the showroom. What’s the advertised curb weight?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #7

THOR #2526
6400 or 6700 sorry we looked at the sticker to make sure my E450 could tow it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I am jealous (drools) as Jeep owner for the past 20 years me thinks the Gladiator is a total beast! Just had the Cherokee in for service and was in and out of the one in the showroom. What’s the advertised curb weight?
Old 02-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #8

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
6400 or 6700 sorry we looked at the sticker to make sure my E450 could tow it.

Wow, that’s heavier than I would have thought. I’ve been thinking I’d rather have the Gladiator than my 2017 JKU, but not sure I’d want to be towing an extra 2,000 lbs over the JKU.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #9

THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Wow, that’s heavier than I would have thought. I’ve been thinking I’d rather have the Gladiator than my 2017 JKU, but not sure I’d want to be towing an extra 2,000 lbs over the JKU.
I had to think a while on JT or JL because of the weight. But we need a truck (it's bed) and don't rock climb only trail. I am getting 9 mpg towing the Jk Sahara 2door. I know I'm going to take a hit. Also the Rubicon weights more than Sport or Overland ( Sahara on JL).
Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Towing JT

Quote:
I almost bought the aluminum lightweight bumper for our JL that had towing tabs for the Blue OX set up. I read in Jeep material (owners manual) that they did not recommend doing any towing with anything attached to the bumper. I have seen others do it with the Rockhard brand bumper but I thought the towing tabs were minimal as far as size compared to how Blue Ox attaches its faceplates to the rails of the front frame which are extremely beefy. Make sure you do your homework. Don't want to take any chances with a rig like you about to tow.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:49 PM   #11

THOR #14070
I’m in the process of deciding and shopping for the right set up to tow my new JT. The cutting of the front skid plate to accommodate the Blue Ox tow bar has me bummed. Good to see someone offering a pre-cut replacement (mentioned above).

Also mentioned above is FCA’s warning to not flat tow from a bumper. This is absolutely true. The weak point is the four-bolt frame horns, where a bumper mounts, those cannot take the stress.

Most aftermarket bumpers mount only to those, which is why towing from them is a no-go, even if the bumper has tow points. A couple of manufacturers make bumpers that mount to the frame horns AND to the frame. If a bumper mounts this way, it will be good to use for flat towing.

If you can find a winch plate that mounts to both the frame and the horns, and mount the new bumper over that, it makes sense that it would flat tow safely.

I love the factory steel bumper and want a winch and want to not lose approach angle, which is why my decision is taking forever. I’ll probably end up with an aftermarket bumper - if I can find one that doesn’t look obnoxious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7757.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	22671
Old 02-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

THOR #15490
Congrats on the JT that said I have a JLUR i had a base plate from blue ox... not good if planning on rocks at all... I took off the baseplate and got a towable bumper from smittybilt and frame tie in brackets from LOD and got my approach angle back as the baseplate was already bent from the first time in the rocks with it
Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
If you have not done so...contact Blue Ox...or visit their site...since the Gladiator (love it ) ...is relatively new, you might want to reach out to Blue Ox customer service directly for advice on setup.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:57 AM   #14

Model: hurricane 29m
THOR #7095
Flat towing JT

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	22802Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	22803[ATTACH]

I went with the road master direct connect base plates. They tuck up really tight to the factory skid plate. I did have to trim skid plate which was a PITA but worth it IMO.

Road master sterling tow bar
Patriot wireless brake.
I wired the Jeep with 4-wire to just plug in magnetic lights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	22804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	22805  

Old 03-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I almost bought the aluminum lightweight bumper for our JL that had towing tabs for the Blue OX set up. I read in Jeep material (owners manual) that they did not recommend doing any towing with anything attached to the bumper. I have seen others do it with the Rockhard brand bumper but I thought the towing tabs were minimal as far as size compared to how Blue Ox attaches its faceplates to the rails of the front frame which are extremely beefy. Make sure you do your homework. Don't want to take any chances with a rig like you about to tow.
We have the Blue Ox baseplate on our Wrangler..it tucks in nice and neat and, as you said, bolts to the frame..no issues...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #16

Model: hurricane 29m
THOR #7095
Flat towing JT

Adding a few more pics to show wiring and front clearance.

[ATTACH]22813
[ATTACH]22814
[ATTACH]22815
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	22813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	116.8 KB