Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2024, 04:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude RS36
State: Tennessee
THOR #31960
Flat Towing Set Up

Interested in feedback regarding flat towing our 2015 Wrangler Rubicon.

We already know we can flat tow the vehicle (from owners manual and other research).

Hereís where we are at presently: Iíve settled on a Blue Ox tow bar with adaptors for our aftermarket tow ready bumper. The Jeep has 17 inch wheels with 35 inch tires; anyone have experience towing a modified Jeep like this?

Sorting through whether we need a brake system for the Jeep. Iíve heard from a few people saying we should be fine without a brake system and some others saying that we should have one. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2024, 04:56 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
How much does that Jeep weigh? It's probably illegal in most states to tow without supplemental braking.
Even if it is legal why would you want close to two tons or more pushing you down the road in any braking situation?
There are many things in RV life we can scrimp on, not having a braking system on your toad ain't one of them.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:00 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkontheRoad View Post
Sorting through whether we need a brake system for the Jeep. I’ve heard from a few people saying we should be fine without a brake system and some others saying that we should have one. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!
Nothing needs a brake... If you have enough room, everything will stop by itself...

Just kidding.

As far as I know, by law anything above 4000lbs needs to have brake.

We like our Invisibrake a lot.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:27 PM   #4
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Here’s a link to a comprehensive list of state requirements. Bottom line is supplemental brakes are required most anywhere…and it is safer not only for you but for others ahead of or behind you. See Ace’s recent post of the runaway Wrangler.

https://nsarvproducts.com/pages/state-towing-laws
Old 02-28-2024, 05:36 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I wouldn't want to be the one explaining to accident investigators and insurance companies why I didn't need a supplemental braking system. Do ya feel lucky??

We flat tow our stock TJ with our class C. Blue Ox tow bar with Invisibrake. Unless your motorhome bumper/hitch receiver is really low, you should be fine lifted. Just make sure the towbar is reasonably level.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:29 PM   #6

Model: Magnitude RS36
State: Tennessee
THOR #31960
Thanks all!

My sense was that having the extra braking is the way to go, but we have never flat towed anything so getting a response from those who have more experience is very helpful.

I'll check out the the Invisibrake system you guys are using.

Anyone else have a braking system they'd recommend I look at as well?
Old 02-28-2024, 11:01 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:

We already know we can flat tow the vehicle (from owners manual and other research).

Here’s where we are at presently: I’ve settled on a Blue Ox tow bar with adaptors for our aftermarket tow ready bumper. The Jeep has 17 inch wheels with 35 inch tires; anyone have experience towing a modified Jeep like this?

Sorting through whether we need a brake system for the Jeep. I’ve heard from a few people saying we should be fine without a brake system and some others saying that we should have one. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!
I towed a 1995 lifted Grand Cherokee with 31" Tires with no issues. I think as long as your lift included correction for the suspension geometry changes the lift causes it should tow fine.

As for a TOAD braking system is concerned, YES IT IS AN ABSOLUTE requirement. In some states your Wrangler might fall under the minimum weight that requires brakes but, in most states, you need a braking system for a trailer as heavy as your Jeep. I will not presume to tell you which braking system you should get for example if your coach has air brakes then you should consider a system that can be connected into the coach air brakes like the Roadmaster Brake Master system with a breakaway kit.

In my case. I have a Roadmaster Invisibrake system installed on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator. Also have a Roadmaster Night Hawk towbar and Direct connect Base Plate.

I do not like the bumper installed brackets for two reasons, First. permanent bracket are prone to damage, something I found out with the permanent brackets on my Grand Cherokee when my son had a minor fender bender that totaled the other car but the only damage to the Jeep was a bent tab for the towbar hookup. Second, the bumper mounted brackets might be too high. The tow bar must be near level, you can achieve that with an adapter but then you will be putting a torque on the motorhome hitch that could result in hitch failure. If you do go with an adapter have the hitch inspected before you tow with it just to be sure it is installed correctly. Then be hyper vigilant for the first year or two and do regular inspections of the hitch and mounting to make sure the hitch is sound. If the hitch is going to fail from a defect will happen rather quickly. After year or two of regular use with no apparent problems you can reduce your inspection regiment to before and after each trip.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:02 PM   #8

Model: Mandalay 40E
THOR #26962
YOU NEED A BRAKING SYSTEM ON THE JEEP.

End of discussion.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:03 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 30c
State: Texas
THOR #31923
My jeep is lifted 3 inches with 35 inch tires and I have an aftermarket bumper with 1 inch d rings. Yes you will need a supplemental braking system and you'll want to be within 3 inches of level with your blu ox tow bar. I needed a 6 inch riser for my hitch to be within the 3 inches that was recommended, however I've seen some rigs that were not . Not sure why but I did on mine. Most importantly you'll want no wiggle in the hitch parts either side to side or up and down unless you want to fight it while driving.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:48 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We flat tow our 2014 Ford Flex with the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. For our braking system, I had the Demco Stay N Play braking system installed on the Ford Flex. Now when I hook up or unhook, it only takes less than 10 minutes as compared to when I use to use a tow dolly. The supplemental braking system is a must have for towing. In the event of am accident, I am sure your insurance will raise the issue that you failed to supply a braking system for your Jeep and may deny your claim/and or cancel your policy. As others have said " It is a must have item".

Paul
Old 02-29-2024, 12:35 AM   #11

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:

Hereís where we are at presently: Iíve settled on a Blue Ox tow bar with adaptors for our aftermarket tow ready bumper. The Jeep has 17 inch wheels with 35 inch tires; anyone have experience towing a modified Jeep like this?

Sorting through whether we need a brake system for the Jeep. Iíve heard from a few people saying we should be fine without a brake system and some others saying that we should have one. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!
All of the west states states require braking systems. Not sure about the flat lands in the middle but would guess any state with mountains would require. We also have an emergency breakaway. The odds of ever needing the breakaway are very small but we did not want to take that chance.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:35 AM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
We tow a 16 JKUR. 4" lift with 36's. Tows great. Check out the M&G engineering brake kit. Easy install and progressive braking (if you have air brakes). I went with Roadmaster bar and mounting plates. I don't know if one is better than the others, but I've been happy.
Mike
Old 02-29-2024, 01:21 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.4
THOR #4488
I agree with pretty much all that's been said. I use Brake Buddy. Very easy to use, requires no installation and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle if you ever decide to trade. I've used mine towing my Jeep Wrangler since 2016.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:24 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Food for thought when choosing an auxiliary braking setup:

Of course it depends on whether air assist or electric brakes.

Portable units which sit on the floor between the brake pedal and driver seat. Requires precise placement and must be calibrated before each use. Other than that there's no initial installation required. Can be moved between different compatible vehicles... but each vehicle still must have a baseplate installed to hook the towbar to.

"Permanent" installation which uses a compressed air piston/cylinder attached to the brake pedal bracket. Requires more up front (one time) work to install, and is practically invisible after installation. Once installed, it's basically hook up and go... no other calibration needed. I just disconnect from the motorhome and flip the InvisiBrake power switch off. The bracket controlling the brake pedal is high up under the dash... there's no interference with regular brake operation at all. You wouldn't even know it's there unless you got down and looked up under the dash.

For our use, I chose the InvisiBrake because:

We only use one towed vehicle
I wanted the simplicity of just hooking up the Jeep and we're off... nothing else to do, it just works.

If I ever sell/trade the Jeep, removal would likely take less than an hour.

I also installed a master "power" toggle switch on the firewall of the Jeep to completely disconnect 12 volts from the InvisiBrake module when not towing.

So... YOU must decide what works best for you. There's no right ot wrong, just different methods of accomplishing the same task.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:30 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveler A32
State: Texas
THOR #30793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
"
For our use, I chose the InvisiBrake because:

We only use one towed vehicle

I wanted the simplicity of just hooking up the Jeep and we're off... nothing else to do, it just works.
Most of all the same discussion and logic for a permanent install of a braking system. I chose the Demco Stay In Play simply because it has an inertial switch AND is operated using the electric brake signal. That's the "Duo" in the name. I have a relatively new install, but I've towed a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for a couple of thousand miles with no issues.

I have a Blue Ox baseplate and a Blue OX Alpha II towbar. With my Freedom Traveler, the receiver is even with the Cherokee, so no rise or drop is needed. one of the things I like about newer towbars in general is that all but the cheapest have non-binding latches that make it much easier to connect and disconnect than older fixed towbars.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:11 PM   #16

State: California
THOR #30798
If you have a class A with air brakes, Demco Air Force One is usually the best/simple/reliable option.

Really simple to install, just finished mine.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:28 PM   #17

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
Flat Tow Brakes

Yes!! Definitely need brakes on towed vehicle. Many states require them. You will need them, trust me!!
Old 03-06-2024, 08:54 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #30117
Flat towing

We have the same Jeep and towing system, we have not added a auxiliary braking system and it tows fine.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:59 PM   #19

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
We have flat towed 3 of our 4 Jeeps, including our present Wrangler, and since even small Jeep Wranglers like our 2 door Sport weigh in at about 3800 pounds and since Rubicons are considerably heavier you definitely will need an auxiliary braking system. It is against the law in most states to tow a 4000 pound vehicle without an auxiliary braking system. Perhaps illegal in all states. I am not sure.

As for flat towing, we pull our Wrangler Sport behind a B+/C diesel and I mostly don't even know it is there. I assume your Magnitude is capable of towing more than our Sprinter based diesel RV, but you should check to make sure you are not exceeding the tow capacity of your vehicle and your hitch.

If you can, weigh your Rubicon and your RV loaded as you travel, and then check the hitch weight limits and the GVWR and GCVW to make sure you are not exceeding the limits. You probably should also check the weight on each axle. You can search for the proper checks to make on this forum. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is not.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:22 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thala View Post
We have the same Jeep and towing system, we have not added a auxiliary braking system and it tows fine.
Only a FOOL would tow any vehicle without some sort of braking system. The cost of the system is insignificant compared to the consequences if something goes wrong.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote