Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2021, 12:51 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
We tow a sonic and well within our Gross vehicle weight , really can’t tell it’s back there ..
My concern is the 18wheelers that’s 20-30k lbs overweight following me . Weigh Stations stop them , fine them and send them on their way ...
safety is second to penalty income

Old 06-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #22

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
I flat tow a Chevy Tracker, it’s<3000 lbs. I have the inexpensive Redibrake. Easy to set up and install. My tow bar is a Roadmaster Falcon all terrain. The base plate was on the Tracker when I bought it. Never had a problem, I know it’s less sophisticated than others. Maybe if I start towing a heavier toad would I then consider another choice.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #21258
Flat towing and brakes

I am also a newby to flat towing however here is my observation at the end of an 8000 mile cross country journey. I am towing a Honda CR-V behind a 36 ft Thor Hurricane with the F53 Ford V10 chassis. Being new to this I elected to use the Ready Brute Elite towing system with integrated surge braking largely due to reviews and simplicity. It has performed flawlessly during our trip. I cannot imagine having no suppliment braking on some of the descents in the west. The coach performed well with the transmission braking, and on the road the Honda in not noticeable. There were several emergency situations where I was glad the car brakes engaged as well. The extra level of safety with supplimental braking is well worth the investment in my opinion. The Honda weighs 3200 for reference.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #24

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
Ditto here. The Readybrute is the Redibrake with the tow bars built in. Simple and functional. Glad it’s working well for you. Most of my traveling is in CÁ, CO, MT, WY, etc., so there are significant passes to get over.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #25

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
This question appears not to be really about safety, but about money plan and simple.
The question of safety is not about your safety but the millions of other people on our highways.
Lets say you have a situation were you need to stop quickly and you can't. You hit another vehicle. Someone in that vehicle is killed. Do you want that on your mind for the rest of your life.
I promise there is a lawyer that will find an engineer to prove that if you had done the responsible thing and had installed a brake system that person would have not died.
Oh this exchange on this form may become evidence that you were aware of the safety factor, but attempted to use the law to save a few bucks. Your view might be of bars not the countryside.
This is not about you it is about the millions of other travers on the road. So PLEASE think of them, not yourself. PLEASE install a braking system or PLEASE stay off our highways.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #26

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Calm the Trolls

Do yourself and everyone else a favor.

Some states do require that additional braking. It's better for you and everyone else on the road if you install it so please, just do it.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote