Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
THOR #14450
Toad Lights

I'm looking at the different options for having brake, turn and running lights on the Toad. Its a Jeep Wrangler, I see they sell a harness that plugs into the factory harness but you have to disconnect the battery while in use. I also see the the bulb and socket method which looks pretty simple. And lastly is cutting into the harness and using the diodes. I'm leaning towards the bulb and socket but wanted to get the experienced folks opinion.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:57 AM   #2

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Toad Lights

I’ve got a 2017 Wrangler. I went with the bulb and socket option because I didn’t want to modify my factory lighting setup. I self-installed the kit and it was fairly easy to install, although it took me about half a day to complete. I was a little nervous about drilling holes in my brand new vehicle’s tail light assemblies, but I’m very happy with the result.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On the Grand Cherokee I had the harness with diodes installed. No problems with the installation and that is the harness my Jeep dealer recommended I have installed. It is also the harness that is installed by the third party vendor they use for toad setup.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I am using this one. Might get it done this weekend. Looks pretty simple. https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...6200.aspxusing
Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

Model: Outlaw 3611
State: North Carolina
THOR #10869
Molar harness

I bought the lighting harness from Mopar for my 2010 Jeep Rubicon. It plugs into the factory harness, uses 12v from the tow vehicle to operate the tail and turn lights. That way you don’t use the towed vehicle battery to operate the lights.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
THOR #14450
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm going with the bulb and socket method
Old 02-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Texas
THOR #16118
CoolTech wiring harness

I went with the CoolTech wiring harness. Pretty easy install -YouTube video helped.
https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rness-kit.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=U1nfTbHuf4Y
2020 Thor Challenger 37YT
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Terry Ekeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
MLC

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7365
Look into wireless lights and wireless light bars. The only way to go
Old 02-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #9

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treynolds03 View Post
I'm looking at the different options for having brake, turn and running lights on the Toad. Its a Jeep Wrangler, I see they sell a harness that plugs into the factory harness but you have to disconnect the battery while in use. I also see the the bulb and socket method which looks pretty simple. And lastly is cutting into the harness and using the diodes. I'm leaning towards the bulb and socket but wanted to get the experienced folks opinion.
I was able to use the bulb kit on my Patriot but not my Cherokee. The wiring kit from etrailer was simple. I had a local auto shop (not dealer) install for $60.

Note that if you don’t have to disconnect battery with brake buddy like systems they work the brake lights. Since the directionals are visible around the toad thats enough for me as I don’t drive RV in the dark and rarely see traffic. Bit I did the above anyhow.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Do exactly what jeep recommends. Use the diod setup. No drilling or cutting. Spend the money and have it done right.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #11

State: Nevada
THOR #6606
Best Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossleyt View Post
I bought the lighting harness from Mopar for my 2010 Jeep Rubicon. It plugs into the factory harness, uses 12v from the tow vehicle to operate the tail and turn lights. That way you don’t use the towed vehicle battery to operate the lights.
Ditto...the MOPAR part number is 82211156AB and on Amazon for $124. Pretty easy install. Only one hole drilled into the firewall behind the glove box. Uses the tow vehicles 12 volts and nothing to do to the Jeep except plug it in to the tow vehicles trailer power plug.

The toughest part was accessing the Jeep’s wiring harness behind the glove box. Once that was done...well, it’s worth every penny.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

State: California
THOR #15490
Jeep actually makes a plug and play wiring kit for the jeeps. I Flat a 2019 JLUR and purchased FCAs wiring kit took me about an hour to install just because having to remove the trim to run the wires through the venicle.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #13

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
I've ordered this one for our '18 Wrangler JLU:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Jeep-...5_2019_1125_am
Old 02-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Wrangler lights.

Your tow bar company has a direct plug in harness for this. The battery disconnect is so that the battery doesn't go down because the key is acc position. Also this key position keeps steering unlocked. My 2014 Wrangler Sahara doesn't have a steering lock, didn't come that way. No need to keep key on. Charge line from motorhome would work also. Also you need a brake system.
Mace