Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Question Cricket Golf Cart

I had my Thor Vegas receiver hitch inspected today because I am looking to put a platform and a Cricket Golf Cart on. The technician no "Nope". However, he did say he could beef it up and I made an appointment to have this done.

However, I was wondering if using straps in some way to take some of the weight off the platform and transferring it to the coach would be a good idea. I thinking probably not as the "house" part of the RV is probably fairly light when compared to the underlying truck frame.

I'll most likely go with what the hitch shop says because they are very reputable and very careful. Anybody have any ideas on golf carts on platforms installed in receiver hitches?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you talking about the little SX-3 model; or something larger?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I use a Smart Trailer BT-100 for 18 years. Pulled behind my previous class A Motorhome. <http://smarttrailers.com/default.aspx#products>. They even have a trailer for a Smart Car. I highly recommend on over a cargo carrier mounted to the hitch.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm not a big fan of hitch-mounted carriers...
I'm being too cautious perhaps; but I don't believe that hitched were designed to be loaded like that.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Are you talking about the little SX-3 model; or something larger?
Yes, an SX-3. I also got the custom carrier from the manufacturer.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm not a big fan of hitch-mounted carriers...
I'm being too cautious perhaps; but I don't believe that hitched were designed to be loaded like that.
The saving grace is that the golf cart only ways 300 pounds. After the beefing up from the very reputable hitch shop, I would like to determine if there's anything else that can be done short of pulling a trailer.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a buddy who was looking for a way to lift his Road King up behind a rig.
He found a company that builds a frame-mounted lift (no hitch required!), that reinforces the rear of the frame of the rig. Once everything is up in the air: pins are inserted through everything, and the hydraulics are let down a tiny bit. This takes the weight off of them, and puts it right to the frame.
I'll see if I can find out where he came across this setup...
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
You're smart to go with the recommendations of the hitch guy. Extending a rear hitch reduces the hitch weight capacity by 50%. No way would I consider using any part of the coach (including ladder) to carry any weight of the hitch. My hitch capacity is 10K pounds but I wouldn't even consider doing what you're talking about. I too will haul a small car (not a toad system fan) or golf cart around with us but I will go with a landscape trailer with premium tires or small enclosed trailer. The rear overhang on these campers is too long and my concern is the lateral and vertical shock loads the extended hitch will experience with road bums and swells in the road. This can increase the stress 10 fold.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I use a Smart Trailer BT-100 for 18 years. Pulled behind my previous class A Motorhome. <http://smarttrailers.com/default.aspx#products>. They even have a trailer for a Smart Car. I highly recommend on over a cargo carrier mounted to the hitch.
yeah, those look to be a pretty great solution....but I cringe at the idea of trailers with itty bity little wheels like that running high speeds and long distances.
but
I also cringe a bit when i see a heavily loaded hitch carrier bouncing and twisting around as it travels down the highway. Even those that look to be lightly loaded or aren't moving around in the hitch make me wonder if it's going to snap off at the next pot hole....
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Because the Smart Trailer uses two hitch balls 30" apart, the trailer does not move around. It is much more stable than any trailer on a single ball. It will bounce if lightly loaded but so does my car dolly. Yes the 8" wheel does rotate twice as fast a 16" wheel; thus you do have to watch your speed. I changed my trailer tires every 5,000 miles and never had a tire fail ($24 each from Walmart) or go flat on the trailer. During that time I did have a blow out and two tire punctures on my motorhome.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"I cringe at the idea of trailers with itty bity little wheels like that running high speeds"

I looked that trailer up right after the post...always looking for a better way. This was exactly my thoughts as well. I also would be concerned it would bounce completely off the road, up and down on some of our highways. The "two ball drama" by my standards isn't any less work than a toad. So far, a utility trailer with 15" wheels is my best solution...for me at least.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cart, cricket, golf, hitch, receiver