Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2020, 05:31 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Foul! Don't you know that big a.. class A motorhomes tow a Tahoe at minimum preferably an Escalade ( Escalate is we used to call them at GM Research since they are a Suburban with an escalated price)!
ROFLMAO !!! Like the Shack..For Us.. It Will Do..

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #14604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
We flat tow a 2018 Subaru Forester six-speed manual (the last year the forester was available in manual) with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 6,000 lbs. We use the Roadmaster InvisiBrake Supplemental Braking System. It tows very well and does not impact the MPG.
So good to know Subarus can be flat towed. I never see them listed in Motorhome’s annual dinghy report. Are other models towable too?
Old 04-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #43
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becie View Post
So good to know Subarus can be flat towed. I never see them listed in Motorhome’s annual dinghy report. Are other models towable too?
Subaru no longer endorse flat towing for any of their vehicles. You do so at your own risk.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #44

State: Ohio
THOR #23514
Hi. Looking for suggestions for a four wheels down tow vehicle that is an automatic transmission. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #45

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback with tow plate already installed, rear light wiring installed, and have towed for over 50,000 miles - there is 67k odometer miles, and still going strong - front wheel drive AUTOMATIC, 40-45 mpg highway when driving, and ready for you to tow - $6,500. Gray, with gray interior, and 12v cutoff installed under the hood for easy on/off for towing.

to TOW: Simply drive up to your tow bar, hook up. Turn the car to 'off', press and hold the brake pedal while putting into NEUTRAL, wait for screen to show 'transmission READY', then turn OFF. Switch the 12v cutoff to 'oFF', remove the key, then tow : )

to 'un'Tow: first put the car in PARK, switch the 12v cutoff back to 'on', unhook, put the key in, fire up, and go.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:52 PM   #46

Model: A30
State: Nebraska
THOR #17133
Toad towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
Hi. Looking for suggestions for a four wheels down tow vehicle that is an automatic transmission. Thanks for any help.
We have a ford fusion hybrid 2011, it flat tows. Has all the bangles. We still have it, but bought a 2020 Jeep Cherokee which we now use for towing.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #47
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Chevy Sonic
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:53 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
2016 or 2017 Smart ForTwo...
They are automatics that can be towed four-down.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #49

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilson View Post
Hello,
Any help or advice would be appreciated, we own a 2018 Thor synergy and was considering getting a Mini Cooper or small car to use as a toad with four wheels down, I know only the manual transmission styles can be flat towed.
My question is any body towing a small car like the Mini Cooper or similar car with four wheels down and what kind of hook do you have.

We have been renting cars when we go, but that’s getting to be a hassle at some places.

Thanks in advance for any info
I towed a 2009 Smart for 6/7 years behind a Winnebago Sightseer with a V10. That worked very well, never felt that the car was there, and we drove that little car everywhere, even offroad in Death Valley. We had a lot of fun with it. I used a Roadmaster tow bar and accessories with a two defender to save the car from all the rocks ejected by the motorhome.

In 2017 I decided to get serious about wheeling around the deserts so I got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that I modified with 35s and a 5 inch lift and Rockhard bumpers for towing and recovery. I kept my towbar and adapted the tow defender to accommodate the much heavier and larger Jeep (4-door). I had to invert my drop hitch of 8" for the Smarty to strait out hitch connection

18 months ago, I traded in my Winnebago and purchased the Aria 3901 diesel pusher. It was a straight swap but I reversed my 8" drop to create an 8" lift for the Jeep.

All in all, the Jeep Wrangler is much superior to anything I know of as a towed vehicle. Really straight forward, no complexities. It just works. The mistake I made when I set up my Smart was installing an Invisibrake. It was more trouble taking it out and installing it in the Jeep when upgrading.

I would never hardwire any braking device again. I had to purchase a new braking device when going to a Jeep (it would have happened on any new towed vehicle). So, now I run an RVI Brake. It is simple, it works and it does not disappoint.

So, there it is, my recommendation...
NG7V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #50

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #21993
I am replying to a older post, but..we bought a 2016 Windsport 29M and plan to tow our 2017 MKX. Still going well? Encounter any issues to report?
Old 07-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #51

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Towing haven’t had any problems with the MKX just takes about 1,1 1/2 less mpg depending of wind,roads, hills.We did install a trac bar on the ACE seems the rear is planted better now.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:52 AM   #52

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG7V View Post
I towed a 2009 Smart for 6/7 years behind a Winnebago Sightseer with a V10. That worked very well, never felt that the car was there, and we drove that little car everywhere, even offroad in Death Valley. We had a lot of fun with it. I used a Roadmaster tow bar and accessories with a two defender to save the car from all the rocks ejected by the motorhome.

In 2017 I decided to get serious about wheeling around the deserts so I got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that I modified with 35s and a 5 inch lift and Rockhard bumpers for towing and recovery. I kept my towbar and adapted the tow defender to accommodate the much heavier and larger Jeep (4-door). I had to invert my drop hitch of 8" for the Smarty to strait out hitch connection

18 months ago, I traded in my Winnebago and purchased the Aria 3901 diesel pusher. It was a straight swap but I reversed my 8" drop to create an 8" lift for the Jeep.

All in all, the Jeep Wrangler is much superior to anything I know of as a towed vehicle. Really straight forward, no complexities. It just works. The mistake I made when I set up my Smart was installing an Invisibrake. It was more trouble taking it out and installing it in the Jeep when upgrading.

I would never hardwire any braking device again. I had to purchase a new braking device when going to a Jeep (it would have happened on any new towed vehicle). So, now I run an RVI Brake. It is simple, it works and it does not disappoint.

So, there it is, my recommendation...

Interesting post. And exactly opposite of my experience. I towed a Jeep Wrangler with a self installed “permanent” Stay in Play brake system. It did indeed work well and was easy to hook up. But I realized I didn’t really need a Jeep and my wife found it difficult to get in and out of. And it only got about 14 mpg in its daily use. Sold it and bought a Chevy Spark. Bought a $35 Stay in Play transfer kit and easily moved the braking system to the smaller car. I now only have to connect, put the transmission in neutral and flip two switches (turn on the brake system with one switch and disconnect the battery with the other). I’m very pleased. I recommended folks evaluate their options and decide what matters most to them.