Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
We looked at the Chevy Colorado but with all the rebates that Chevy had on the Silverado, the bigger truck was actually cheaper! The Colorado is more expensive to insure because there aren't that many of them made. We took the Colorado for a ride, and for us, it just wasn't all that comfortable.

I hope that Ford brings back the Ranger. It would be nice to have another alternative. I miss the size of the Dodge Dakota, it was a little bigger than the Rangers at the time. Hopefully, whatever they bring out, it will be flat towable with an automatic. I am getting too old for a manual transmission.

Fred

Old 09-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Pictures of Rangers with rear seat seem to have very short beds. They may be long enough for a couple of bikes but not practical for a tandem.

If the motorhome has a nice-size Mega Storage compartment large enough for bikes and/or a tandem, it makes toad selection a little easier. One option we are considering is a Honda Fit or HR-V that can also haul most bikes while having seating for up to five. Plus weight is fairly low.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
We looked at the Chevy Colorado when we bought the Silverado. The seats in the Colorado were not as comfortable and with the rebates on the Silverado, it was actually cheaper than the Colorado. I would love to see a small pickup that you could flat tow, but as of right now, the only one that I know of is the Colorado.

Fred
Old 01-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Florida
THOR #3219
towing a pickup on a dolly

Do you have to disconnect the drive shaft when towing a pickup on a dolly?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #25

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
We need more info, make model, auto, stick, 4x4 etc. But if you have the owners
manual it usually will state in it how to tow the vehicle.
If it is a auto trans none 4x4....yes.
If it is a stick none 4x4.....no.
If it is a 4x4 and you can put the transfercase in neutral...probably.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #3219
Sorry, I didn't state the question correctly. I currently tow a Malibu on a Kar Kaddy SS. I want to buy a small pickup but don't want to have to disconnect the drive shaft and was wanting to know what configuration I would need to buy.

Thanks for your info.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Four wheel drive like a Dodge Dakota
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #28

THOR #2204
OK, that helps some. I own and tow a 2011 Dodge Dakota 4 Dr.
4x4 4.7 V8 Auto down on all four wheels behind my MH. It weights about 4000 lbs.

On mine you switch the transfer case to neutral and place the auto trans in park to
tow. Also on mine one click of the key and the steering wheel is free to turn, but
the speedo does not add miles. If the key is turned to the second click it the wheel also turns but the speedo does record mileage.

I know MH magazine puts out a guide for vehicle as to which one's can and cannot
be towed 4 down.

Also add the cost of how you tow, a tow dolly costs about $1000 to $1700. And all the stuff needed to flat tow runs $3200 to $5000 depending on what you buy and who you buy from.

Keep in mind with both systems (dolly vs flat tow) you can not back up when towing.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Check the manual for you current dolly and see what they say about towing with the rear wheels raised and front on the ground. Some dollies allow this configuration for towing rear wheel drive automobiles.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #30

THOR #2204
In the November 2015 issue of MotorHome there is a very decent article on both
flat towing & using a tow dolly called Dinghy 101 page 54.

You should be able to find it online or at your local library if you do not subscribe.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #31

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
THOR #5060
Hi JamieGeek,

First off, I'm a newbie to RV'ing...

So, if I understand the calculations in this post, the weight of my coach (fully loaded) + the weight of my TOAD needs to be less than the GCWR of my coach, correct?

So, for my coach (2016 Thor Miramar 35.2) the GCWR = 26,000 and GVWR = 22,000 - leaving me 4,000 lbs to play with.

I was thinking about towing my 2003 Tahoe (4 down) which weights 5,000 lbs. Based on the above calculations, I can't do this, correct?
kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 AM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is correct: Total weight (coach + toad) has to be less than GCWR. When towing a toad there is almost no tongue weight so that calculation doesn't really come into play (the calc is coach + tongue weight < GVWR).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Flat tow a 2001 Chevy S10 4wd, 4 door crew cab

Thinking about using the 2001 S10 4 WD Auto trans as a Toad for our 2016 Thor Hurricane 35 C w/ V 10. Does anyone know if I can flat tow or tow dolly since it is auto trans. I have a slightly used Blue Ox tow bar 10,000lb I bought. What else would I need. Obviously I am a Nubee to RVing.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #34

THOR #2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Thinking about using the 2001 S10 4 WD Auto trans as a Toad for our 2016 Thor Hurricane 35 C w/ V 10. Does anyone know if I can flat tow or tow dolly since it is auto trans. I have a slightly used Blue Ox tow bar 10,000lb I bought. What else would I need. Obviously I am a Nubee to RVing.
You will need the face plate for the S10 that goes behind the bumper
and the Blue Ox hooks to, plus wiring hookups. Also a brake unit that
mounts in the cab.

If you still have a owners manual for the S10 it would state if it can be
towed 4 down.

Or you can go online on Motorhome.com and download their booklets,
but I do not know if it goes that far back.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:52 PM   #35
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
The FMCA Towing Guide for 2001 does not list the S10 as being towable. The 2001 owner's manual says 4 wheels off the ground for recreational towing. The issue according to the manual is the transmission.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #36

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is correct: Total weight (coach + toad) has to be less than GCWR. When towing a toad there is almost no tongue weight so that calculation doesn't really come into play (the calc is coach + tongue weight < GVWR).
Doesn't the total weight have to be coach + toad + passengers + personal property < GCWR or GVWR? And of course the only way to know any of this for sure is to run across the scale, one time hooked up and one time not hooked up.

When we toured the Thor factory a few months ago I noticed that the new Challengers had 8,000 pound hitches. I asked the tour guide why these 2017 Challengers could have 8,000 pound hitches and mine (2014) looked the exact same and was stamped 5,000 pounds. He said it had to do with the way Thor was doing the frame extension.

The F53 Ford built full frame doesn't extend all the way to the back of the coach. Thor incorporates an extended frame into the welded box they mount on the Ford frame at the beginning of their build out at the factory.

I am just guessing but it seems from information at the factory tour that they have modified that frame extension some how to enable higher tow limits, at least on the new Challengers.

I am probably not going to exceed my 5,000 tow limit due to fear of possibly causing some type of rear frame flex or break issue.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Total weight of coach (passengers, etc.) + toad < GCWR

Total weight of coach (passengers, etc.) + tongue weight < GVWR

In most cases with a toad the 2nd equation doesn't really come into play because the tongue weight is so little (especially when flat towing). If you were to tow the toad on a trailer then you'd have to worry about GVWR.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #38

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post

....cut....

The F53 Ford built full frame doesn't extend all the way to the back of the coach. Thor incorporates an extended frame into the welded box they mount on the Ford frame at the beginning of their build out at the factory.

....cut.....
For what it's worth, Ford specs show all F-53 frames -- regardless of wheelbase -- come with same 8'-10" rear overhang. On larger and longer motorhomes like Challengers it's safe to assume Thor has chassis extended at rear.

On shorter motorhomes like the Ace 29.2 that may not be the case. I'm not certain, but Ford specs have the standard 190-inch wheelbase chassis at just under 28 feet in length, and since the motorhome is only 29'-8" long, the difference could be made up by bumpers and bodywork.

Personally, I'd prefer the receiver being bolted directly to Ford chassis rails provided everything else was the same. Having said that, frame extensions can be fabricated as strong as needed.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #39

THOR #2121
Expanding on your post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Total weight of coach (passengers, etc.) + toad < GCWR

Total weight of coach (passengers, etc.) + tongue weight < GVWR

In most cases with a toad the 2nd equation doesn't really come into play because the tongue weight is so little (especially when flat towing). If you were to tow the toad on a trailer then you'd have to worry about GVWR.
Like with many rules there can be exceptions. When pulling a trailer with weight distribution hitch, the tongue weight supported by MH changes. As the spring bars are loaded up, the actual tongue weight resting on the receiver is reduced.

This really complicates estimating or calculating actual Gross Vehicle Weight. For that reason it's best to get the combined rig weighed with weight distribution hitch adjusted as it will be used.

Expanding on your note, in addition owners need to also confirm that front and rear axles are not being overloaded individually. Staying below GVWR may not be enough. With some motorhomes which have the front suspension close to rated capacity, a weight distribution hitch can put them over the limit.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For what it's worth, Ford specs show all F-53 frames -- regardless of wheelbase -- come with same 8'-10" rear overhang. On larger and longer motorhomes like Challengers it's safe to assume Thor has chassis extended at rear.

On shorter motorhomes like the Ace 29.2 that may not be the case. I'm not certain, but Ford specs have the standard 190-inch wheelbase chassis at just under 28 feet in length, and since the motorhome is only 29'-8" long, the difference could be made up by bumpers and bodywork.
I have a 2001 Hurricane 29D build on the 190" wheelbase. My chassis has a frame extension of about 3 - 4 feet that has similar size channels as the Ford one has, and is welded to the Ford chassis by means of gusset plates that are welded at their top and bottom only to the chassis and the extensions. My motorhome is rated to tow 3500 lb (the 2002 Model is rated to tow 5000 lb and the 2000 model could also tow 5000 lb). My son is a master mechanic and certified welder for the largest Ford dealer in the state, and he decided to inspect why this is so. It turned out that Thor used a 3500 lb hitch in my unit that was attached to the motorhome with a few bolts onto a carrier that in turn was attached to the carrier with rather short, short rather poorly welded seams!
We exchanged this hitch to a 5000 lb one and re-welded all attachment points all around with quality seams. We also added more gusset plates to the extension areas and welded those all around to the frame and the extensions.
After calculating the additional strengthening measures, my son came to the conclusion that I could tow 10 000 lb without any problem if I would have a hitch that would allow this. I decided to stay with the 5000 lb hitch because my towed vehicle has a weight of about 4000 lb plus the weight of the tow dolly that is equipped with hydraulic surge brakes (and has 15" wheels).

It seems that the tow rating specified by Thor depends totally on the receiver hitch installed and the manner how the hitch and the chassis extensions are attached to the Ford supplied chassis.
For the case of my motorhome, they went cheap and easy, but we could easily rectify this with some welding and a different hitch. However, having traveled with my setup for more than 60 000 miles now, I would not feel comfortable to tow anything much heavier than my setup, because I would not want to experience the "tail wagging the dog"!

If you plan to increase the tow rating take a look at the attachment of the frame extensions and also at the attachment of the hitch itself!