Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #2260
Full Size Pickup Toad?

We are very new to RV'ing. Starting our 3rd month with our ACE 29.2 and LOVE it! Is there anyone that has a full size pickup for a Toad on the f53 frame? We are looking at pulling our 2013 Silverado 1500 4x4. Weights look good. Pickup is right at 5,800 so we'll need to change the stock hitch out for a class IV. Already looking at the SMI Stay in Play for a breaking solution. I'm curious how much of a handling change or are there pitfalls I'm not seeing? Thanks!

Old 08-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Sure there are pitfalls, you are going to have the "tail wagging
the dog". plus your gas mileage will be even worse than mine
(7 mpg). My truck weights 4K.

The big IF is getting a heavy duty enough hitch on your MH to
handle the weight of the truck. Will they be able to brace the
frame enough to handle a 10K hitch??

If the hitch can be worked out and you don't mind going really,
really slow up hills towing it might work. On a 5% hill climb I am
down to about 40 MPH.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Are you SURE you will not exceed the CGWR?? I am not as familiar with the Thor line as I am a new member of the Thor family, but I would be amazed that a 29 ft gasser had the capacity to tow 5,800 pounds safely!! I had a larger gasser on the F-53 chassis some years ago that did not allow that, so maybe the smaller one has more weight for towing. Good luck, but I would double check just to be safe!
PS I am not near my RV right now to check the nomenclature but the rating I am talking about (if CGWR is not the right letter combo) is the combined weight of your RV loaded to travel plus the weight of any towed equipment).
Old 08-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well lets look at a few things:
(What year is your ACE? I'm going to assume its a 2015/2016)
For the 29.2 the GCWR is 23,000 lbs and the GVWR is 16,000 lbs. That right there gives you 7,000 lbs to play with (23-16 = 7).
What you really need to do is take your unit to a scale with it fully loaded (full water, empty tanks, all the stuff loaded, all the people in it, etc.) Scales: CAT Scale
Then you take the 23,000 lbs and subtract your scaled weight from it. That is how much you can tow (I'd also subtract 500 or 1000 lbs to add some play).
In addition subtract your scaled weight from the 16,000 lbs that is the available tongue weight--but since you'd be towing 4 down tongue weight is minimal.
Next look at the specs on Thor's website (also where I got the #'s above): Specs ACE Motorhomes: Class A & Class C Hybrid RV by Thor Motor Coach
According to that you have an 8,000 lb hitch...why do you need a bigger one?

Given all these number's and your stated 5,800 lb truck weight (did you weigh it or is that the listed weight? While you're at the scales I'd suggest weighing the truck as well) I think you are all legal...you may get terrible mileage and run a little slow (make sure the coach is in "haul" mode--hit the button on the end of the shifter) but I think you can do it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Great job JamieGeek. I was being overly cautious, i.e. an overabundance of caution. And, it is not even my coach!!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
One other issue is that the RV manufacturer generally modifies the frame. This can throw the geometry off so that the coach might originally have a certain CGWR but the changes the manufacturer made to the chassis might reduce the towing capacity.

I am thinking about things like excessively long overhang, not putting in enough support to support frame extension for heavy tow loads, and so on.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #7

THOR #2260
Thanks! The listed curb weight for the truck is 5,400. I didn't see any extensions on the frame when i did the handling fix for the for the sway bar. My model is the 2015 29.2. This one still has the 5,000 hitch. From what I've read they switched to an 8,000 hitch mid season on these. I too am being overly cautious. This is a stop gap to get us through this season and hopefully be able to get something lighter weight later into next year.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
I towed a 2012 Chevy Tahoe behind a diesel pusher without any trouble. Since we now have a Chateau on the F550 chassis, we are thinking about setting up our 2015 Silverado to flat tow. In order to tow the 2015, you have to disconnect the negative battery cable and it has to have the 2 speed transfer case with neutral. I am sure you will also need the 2 speed transfer case with neutral, not sure about the battery cable. We used a Roadmaster tow bar and it worked great on the Tahoe with a Brake Buddy Vantage select.

Fred
Old 09-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
OK, what Fred brought up is the real problem area, you do not have a diesel
pusher MH and you have a short MH.

You may be able to tow it, but can you stop it?????
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #10

THOR #2366
I am on the same page with Phil. When it comes to towing, most manufacturers tend to rate capacities in ideal and not real world conditions. It never hurts to be under the capacity by a substantial margin for safety reasons. While we are setting up to flat tow our 2015 Silverado, our MH is rated to tow 10,000lbs, otherwise I would be looking for a different dinghy. The supplemental braking systems work well, but what I consider is, if the system failed, will the tow vehicle stop it within a reasonable distance.

Fred
Old 09-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #11

THOR #2260
Yeah, I agonized over towing this heavy of a truck to the point that I started the hunt for something lighter. Ended up buying a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It was cheaper than the ulcer I was starting to get.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyPause View Post
Yeah, I agonized over towing this heavy of a truck to the point that I started the hunt for something lighter. Ended up buying a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It was cheaper than the ulcer I was starting to get.

Good choice. IMO you can't beat a Wrangler as a Toad because of it's versatility.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #13

THOR #2366
For me, towing a heavy truck is not an agonizing decision as long as you have all of the right equipment, including a tow vehicle with an extra margin of tow capacity to address real world conditions.

For us, having the bed of a pickup is great for dog exercise pens, outdoor mats and charcoal and propane grills. It is also a great place for bikes.

Fred
Old 09-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #892
I pulled a Ram 1500 behind a B+ (E450) for about 7 years, the only issue I had was on down grades. (if I let the speed get up over 60 - 65 mph, it would feel a little "squirrely")
I haven't towed it with my ACE yet but I don't expect any issues.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #15

THOR #2366
Rivraton,

Did you tow the Ram 1500 on a tow dolly or dinghy style? What type of supplemental braking system did you use?

Fred
Old 09-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #16

THOR #892
I tow on an American Car Dolly with electric brakes.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #17

THOR #2366
We are also considering a American Car Dolly to tow our Silverado. It is the only tow dolly that I found with enough capacity for our truck.

Does your tow dolly have electric brakes? Do you add supplemental brake and turn signals? I would be interested to hear any comments on the quality of the dolly, ease of hook-up, problems, etc.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 09-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #18

THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
We are also considering a American Car Dolly to tow our Silverado. It is the only tow dolly that I found with enough capacity for our truck.

Does your tow dolly have electric brakes? Do you add supplemental brake and turn signals? I would be interested to hear any comments on the quality of the dolly, ease of hook-up, problems, etc.

Thanks,
Fred
I bought it with the Easy Brake controller, I use a light bar(bungeed onto the rear bumper of the PU)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
For me, towing a heavy truck is not an agonizing decision as long as you have all of the right equipment, including a tow vehicle with an extra margin of tow capacity to address real world conditions.

For us, having the bed of a pickup is great for dog exercise pens, outdoor mats and charcoal and propane grills. It is also a great place for bikes.

Fred
Small pickups can be almost as useful and can weigh a lot less. Until recent I had an older Ford Ranger with a bed cap that only weighed 3500 pounds, and it was easy to tow the few times I pulled it behind my van. Its manual transmission made it very easy to flat tow. The main down side for us, other than age, was that it only sat two adults.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Small pickups can be almost as useful and can weigh a lot less. Until recent I had an older Ford Ranger with a bed cap that only weighed 3500 pounds, and it was easy to tow the few times I pulled it behind my van. Its manual transmission made it very easy to flat tow. The main down side for us, other than age, was that it only sat two adults.
Ok, totally off topic but: rumor has it that Ford will be bringing the Ranger back to the US:
Reports: Ford may resurrect Ranger, Bronco in U.S.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote