Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Gauging the gas pump

Thought I would throw this out for discussion. I am wondering how my fellow Coach Jockeys with a toad line up the rear end of the rig (gas fill) with the gas pump. What is your secret aiming point in the mirror or camera that keeps you from overrunning the pump with your dingy in tow.
I have only been towing the Jeep one season and I usually have a point I reference in my mirror but I always have plan B in effect, the DW and the ol' arm wave. If the weather is crappy/rainy the plan B sometimes doesn't really want to co-operate and my only fear in towing a toad is the dreaded overrun the pump and can't back up scenario. Which knock on my wooden head hasn't happened YET! No pun intended but I am looking for an effective back up plan to the aforementioned plan "B". Thoughts? TX Mark

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My solution would be one of those cheap wireless backup cameras, the ones that come with their own little monitor, and mount the camera right near the gas cap.
https://www.amazon.com/Installation-...2P5R2N0CSGXTZG
$26 will end it all forever and $40 let's you go wireless. Hook it up correctly and the reverse guide-lines will line up with the pump.
There are hundreds of choices of camera setups.

I was on this path but suddenly my aim got better so the camera and monitor is in the bottom of the 'mod box', languishing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
If I roll past the pump I typically just pull on through and circle back around. Been a couple times I've had to circle around more than once. We just laugh about it and sing "ring around the rosie" "once again I've missed the hosey"
Old 01-31-2020, 11:15 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
If I roll past the pump I typically just pull on through and circle back around. Been a couple times I've had to circle around more than once. We just laugh about it and sing "ring around the rosie" "once again I've missed the hosey"
Old 01-31-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On the Axis/Vegas the filler is right behind the wheel so I just use the wheel (and the power connector sticking out--they all are around the same spot).

I'm usually pulling up to stands that have two pumps in line so if I miss the first one, there is always the 2nd one. It doesn't matter which one I pull up to as I'm going to block both either way.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
On my ACE the way I have the rear camera aligned I stop as soon as any part of the pump or protection pole comes into view at the edge of the display. This lines me up perfectly for filling from that pump.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #7

Model: 2013 Palazzo 33.1
THOR #9385
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
😂 DH did this also but he rolled down the window and was shouting weee just like the little pig with the pinwheels in the Geico commercial. So anytime we have to loop around we all say weee. 🤣.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:28 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
You can back up I little with a 4 down road, just have go really slow and straight. I've done it a couple times as a last resort
Old 02-16-2020, 02:59 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
You can back up I little with a 4 down road, just have go really slow and straight. I've done it a couple times as a last resort

I think (it should work!) you also can ask DW to sit in the toad and hold the steering wheel straight and then back up just a bit. Haven’t actually tried it but it’s my plan B if it ever comes to it!
Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #8695
I drive a Challenger. 37 feet with the gas fill on the rear also. It’s not an easy feat to get even with the pump every time. I use the rear camera to get even with the hose. It will even reach from the passenger side if you line it up real close. I use google maps to look at station layouts prior to getting there. It takes a lot of planning to find a station. Plan well ahead. Flying J’s are best with the dedicated RV pumps.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
I put a piece of white electrical tape on the back portion of the black plastic that surrounds the gas cap. I can see the tape in my mirror and use that as a reference to gauge where to line up. Alternate solution is to have my DW get out, stand beside the pump, and let me know when to stop, she doesn’t mind doing this but refuses to pump the gas!
Old 02-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
fuel line up

My rig is used, however the owners before us put a small round amber marking light right at the fuel cap. bright enough to see during the day as well .
Old 02-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The fill for my rig is right behind my door. It's pretty tough to mess it up...
Old 02-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #2121
It’s never been an issue with any motorhome I’ve rented or owned, so haven’t thought much about it.

I suppose if I were worried about having to back up due to a toad (have done very little of that on longer distances requiring refueling), I would aim a little short, knowing it’s easier to pull up a few extra feet than backing up or circling around.

P.S. — Another reason to love smaller rigs.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #15

Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
I used to get out while hubby pulled up to the pump and I would give him the stop hand signal when he was in line with the pump to the back side fill. We always run the rear view camera when towing, so I realized that if I looked at the camera display that when I could see the hose in the side of the rear view camera display we were in perfect position. We started using that method after that. Works well for us!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 AM   #16

Model: Vegas
THOR #11153
That’s why we have grandkids. We almost always have at least one or two with us. They love running out and signaling when it is correctly positioned. And, they are cheap, we just have to feed them. Well, maybe not so cheap with the 16 yo.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #17

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The fill for my rig is right behind my door. It's pretty tough to mess it up...

Ditto Bob on our Aria 4000-filler neck on both sides just behind the door.
GVP
Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #18

State: California
THOR #15490
On my windsport 34j I line up the rear tire with the end of the pump island and that gets it about right on.