Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2018, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Guidance pulling a toad

For the first time I will be pulling a Jeep Liberty behind our Hurricane 35C. Needless to say a little bit nervous. Any warnings or guidance from experienced RVers. Concerned how it acts in tight turns and any suggestions on fueling up MH. I understand I can't back up so what to look for entering a fuel station, etc. thanks !

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You won't even know it's back there. Really no change in the way you drive your coach without it except for the extra length.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:23 AM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
For the first time I will be pulling a Jeep Liberty behind our Hurricane 35C. Any Concerned how it acts in tight turns and any suggestions on fueling up MH. I understand I can't back up so what to look for entering a fuel station, etc. thanks !
You toad can't turn inside your RV...no worries there. At fuel pumps, just make sure you line up your fuel filler close enough for the pump. Anywhere your RV went without your toad, you can still go. Use the tow/haul feature if you have it Two important things:1. Allow more room when passing 2. Give yourself more stopping distance. You'll get used to it in no time.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:23 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Flat tow

Hello we have pulled a jeep wrangler and now a Ford Focus. We have pulled both vehicles with our 2016 25.2 Thor Vegas. I always run 5 under the posted speed limits. When I pull into refuel I never have a problem making turns around the pumps. I do try and get the outside pumps. While at the station or rest areas do a walk around and check things like heat in tires, safety chains and hitch, just a good visual. Both vehicles have always tracked real nice behind the motor home. In town I make turns at stop lights and have never tore anything up. I just take it easy and I do find myself taking a turn a little wider than usual. I also keep check on the toad as we go down the road with the camera. Hey you already know backing up isn't an option. Just be patient with those at the pump and on the road. I find that if I don't get in a hurry all will go as planned. You will be fine. Remember where ever you are going will be there when you get there. Have fun!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Rule #1: If your Toad tries to pass you... stop doing what you're doing!

Seriously: You'll barely know that it's even there. Just have your spotter check things out if you'll be heading into a tight spot, and you'll be just fine.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Depending on where you are, finding the right gas station set up to get in can be a challenge. Although rare, a few times we waited until we were really low on fuel and had no choice but to unhook the toad so we could get in and out of the pumps. It happens. We use the gas app to plan ahead and see where gas stations are located. I've even used google earth to then see which gas stations are more favorable to get in and out of so we don't have to unhook.

When parked, we place a strap on the motorhome steering wheel that lets us know that the toad is NOT ready for travel (not in neutral, in ACC position...) When we're traveling down the road we place that strap on the inside motorhome door handle to remind us that the toad is set for travel mode...

I agree with others, before you know it, it will seem strange to not have the toad behind you. Enjoy!
Old 03-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my 36' Miramar. As has already been said, the toad will track inside your coach. That means diving down the road or navigating turns in the city do not change while towing. Anywhere your coach goes your toad will go without concern. It acts like a trailer...it will "trail" behind you, inside the tracks of the rear of your coach.

I use a Brake Buddy so my stopping distance is no worse with the toad.

The only concern you will have is not being able to back up. That used to make me nervous when needing to stop for fuel. I generally choose a station with double stack pumps and wait for the outside pumps, usually on the right. This allows me to stop with my fuel fill near the dispenser without having my nose too close to the front of the store. Then I can turn left when leaving, across the front of the station, allowing me to easily keep an eye on the left side of my RV.

I have used an inside pump, but then I have to make sure no one has pulled in beside me on the right, where I have to be concerned with my tail swing. Cars around you may not realize the space you need to turn.

Your older stations with pumps parallel to the store are the easiest to get in and out of, but are generally not available unless you travel smaller highways and towns.

I have a 500 mile range and start looking for fuel with around half a tank. That way I don't hesitate in pulling in and out if I don't feel comfortable with the particular station.

You also may find some comfort in planning ahead 250 miles or so and using Google Maps to get a birds eye view of the site.

Don't be nervous...be aware. Enjoy the process! Remember...the worst case scenario requires to disconnect. That only takes 2 or 3 minutes, but I have to say, using the process I detailed above, I have never had to. And this comes from a 67 year old, nervous type guy.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #8

THOR #2733
One other trick that really helps us when we're towing. We have the Jensen 215 radio. One of the settings is to bypass the turn signal feature for the camera system. For the Axis, the driver is relatively close to the mirrors so I feel like I have good site lines using the mirrors. We feel that the camera showing the side of the coach when the turn signal is on doesn't give us any better of an image than what the mirrors already provide to the driver. We rely heavily on the rear camera to let us know where the toad is when merging or changing lanes. But when you use the turn signal you loose that image. Bypassing the turn signal feature now allows us to use our turn signal and keep the camera feed on the toad. It works great, we no longer have to guess where the toad is in relation to the cars around us, the camera feed is always there for us.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

THOR #2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
Anywhere your RV went without your toad, you can still go.
Some things to consider... When it comes to turning radius, i.e. will you make the turn or not, if your motorhome can make the turn, so will your toad. But this doesn't mean you will "fit" in the same places, after all you're taking up a lot more space with a toad. Many times we could not fit into a gas pump because the toad was sticking out completely blocking traffic or parked cars etc.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
For the first time I will be pulling a Jeep Liberty behind our Hurricane 35C. Needless to say a little bit nervous. Any warnings or guidance from experienced RVers. Concerned how it acts in tight turns and any suggestions on fueling up MH. I understand I can't back up so what to look for entering a fuel station, etc. thanks !
The only I can add is make yourself a checklist and stick to it, put on there the hookup procedure, such as, safety chains, breakaway cable, etc, etc. On my Jeep Wrangler, I have to put it in gear but the transfer case in neutral. Check the hookup procedure with your hitch and brake manufacturer and towing procedures for your Liberty. Other than that, you will never know it is there. I also turn on the rear camera so I can see if it is still there and watch for things like smoke from flat tires or suck brakes. When I stop I check the temps of all tires and hubs with an infrared thermometer. Things will always get hot but a significant variance is not normal. I find tires on sun side run a few degrees higher and the inside tires seem higher also. Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #11

State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We added TPMS sensors to our Cherokee so we can monitor the temps and pressures when towing, along with keeping an eye on the rear view monitor. Otherwise, lots of good info here.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Check the rear-view camera: the Toad is gaining on you!!!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1520031531
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toad.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	9234  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:56 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I’m I the same boat (Er, coach) as the original poster. Just got my tow bar and Invisibrake set up. I’m going to try my first trip tomorrow, from the storage yard to my house (only ten miles or so).

I’m both relieved and surprised reading all the comments saying the TOAD will track inside the RV’s tracks. I’ve pulled a boat and utility trailers behind a pickup and that wasn’t the case. So for me, this is BIG NEWS!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #14

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We added TPMS sensors to our Cherokee so we can monitor the temps and pressures when towing, along with keeping an eye on the rear view monitor. Otherwise, lots of good info here.
I have the EEZ TPMS. It’s designed for up to ten tires, and we currently use six on our Challenger. I am considering buying four additional sensors and putting them on my F150(the TOAD).

Do you take them off when driving the TOAD and not using the RV, as I’ve would be doing 90% of the time? Or just leave them on full time? Do the batteries run down transmitting all the time like that, with the receiver out of range?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #15

State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I have the EEZ TPMS. It’s designed for up to ten tires, and we currently use six on our Challenger. I am considering buying four additional sensors and putting them on my F150(the TOAD).

Do you take them off when driving the TOAD and not using the RV, as I’ve would be doing 90% of the time? Or just leave them on full time? Do the batteries run down transmitting all the time like that, with the receiver out of range?
No, we just leave them on the toad (and the RV.) TireMinder has a battery replacement plan every year. They gave us a second set of batteries last year at the FMCA rally.

We don't want to have to label each of them and mess around putting them off and on the same tire every time we stop.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #16

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
No, we just leave them on the toad (and the RV.) TireMinder has a battery replacement plan every year. They gave us a second set of batteries last year at the FMCA rally.

We don't want to have to label each of them and mess around putting them off and on the same tire every time we stop.
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #17

State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Many thanks to all who responded.great information and I am much more comfortable now
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #18

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
It's nice to carry a rubber mallet to tap on the tow bar lever and release any tension when unhooking the car. It also helps removing pins that may become jammed.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with the comment about the rubber mallet. I always keep one handy.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Why is there a problem with tire temperature? What's the difference in towing and just driving the towed vehicle?