Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Seems in the ballpark to me

I went to two different places to get estimates in the greater Chicagoland area, and they were both $5000 +/- for the blue ox setup and invisbrake system to tow our 2021 Wrangler JL.

I went with an independent place in Beloit that has been around since 1970, and still doing great even though a huge CW opened up literally one exit away. Several “new RV Park friends” that we’ve talked to while camping in the area strongly recommended them.

This place has now done all of my repairs, got them done early, usually under the estimates, and has been very helpful in talking with me regarding troubleshooting and other RV topics. We now know each other by name (and me by rig).

They also run an annual charity event where they partner with Newmar and get a fleet of late model rigs wrapped in patriotic theme and host taking local vets for an RV trip and tour of the Vietnam Memorial in DC. ,I’d consider this place as straight as the day is long—and they charged just under $5K to do this work.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:49 AM   #22

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Arizona
THOR #21371
Almost exactly what I was quoted and paid for in Lake Havasu by a local shop for a total Roadmaster hookup with a front shield and a screen for a rock guard. Good luck with yours and I love mine.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #23

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
My first impression is that estimate is too high. A quick search of the googles shows CW charges twice as much for parts as does etrailer.com. I would source the parts myself and have a local shop do the work if you don't feel capable or willing.
I agree and when I looked at the estimate there were charges that seem inappropriately high. I personally would find an independent shop to do any work that I personally could not do myself. I'm handy, have the tools an d do most work myself but there are limitations. As general rule I also avoid CW unless there is warranty work that has to go through a dealer.

My suggestion, locate an independent RV shop that's recommended and talk to them. Second option, find a good recommended mobile RV servicing that can and will do the jobs. Get pricing with them supplying the parts and with you supplying the parts. Fully coordinate with them so all parts and supplies are on hand at the start of the job.

EDIT adding; some jobs are easy such as brake wiring. Curt makes a plug-n-play wiring connection/harness for many vehicles. No splicing, diodes, cutting required. Simple installation. Maybe a different braking system such as Brake Buddy, RVi3, or such that can be transferred to different vehicles rather than one physically attached to a vehicle.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Washington
THOR #21575
Thanks all for the great feedback and sanity check.
I called Roadmaster and will likely end up getting all of the parts directly from them and then take the Jeep to a local authorized installer. Should save some money and also inside this is job is done correctly.

Merry Christmas to you all and your families!