Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Florida
THOR #6899
Honda Fit Odometer - on or off when flat towing?

We just switched out cars and bought a new standard shift Honda Fit to flat tow behind our Four Winds 31W. I'm a bit confused about whether the odometer will register or not when towing, especially as new Hondas these days are keyless ignition. To release the steering lock however we have to select the accessory position (in our case hitting the start button without depressing the clutch) and leave the remote in the car. Will this position also engage the odometer, even though the motor is not running? Could be a bit of an issue for us as we are leasing the car and do not want to rack up a whole lot of miles if we can avoid it!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Don't know for 100% ,but I say NO unless the ignition is on. Most all newer vehicles have electronic speedos.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
I wondered the same thing when I started towing my Honda. No, the odometer doesn't register when being towed and the ignition is left on to the first position to unlock the steering wheel. Now I wonder how many miles the tires actually have on them. Guess I could figure it out but don't really care.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Rhode Island
THOR #13004
richbam: I am considering a Honda Fit as a TOAD. What year did you have and did it turn out to be a good experience?
Old 11-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

THOR #6899
We have had the fit since April 2017, bought it new. It now has about 18K miles and we have never had any issues or problems. We average about 36MPG, mostly town, suburban driving. Ours is a stick shift because we were advised by the dealership that most if not all new Honda automatics are not suitable as toads. Might be a bit of a tight fit (Ha Ha) if you are big and tall, but this is not a problem for us as both of us are in our late 60's and are shrinking now instead of growing!
We haul it behind our 32ft class C, using a Blue Ox hitch, and I hardly know it's there.
I can also re-confirm that it does not register miles when being towed with the ignition on and in accessory position (to free up the steering).
If I had one criticism it would be that it has 6 forward gears, that can be a bit of a PITA if you're in traffic, and is probably overkill for a 1.5L engine. But having lived most of my years in the UK, changing gears was just a way of life!
If you need any other info let me know.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Rhode Island
THOR #13004
Thanks for the feedback. Is your Fit a 2017 then? When I look at the dinghy guide (Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine) I don't see the Honda Fit after 2014. Any idea why that is? I am looking at buying a 2015, but I don't want to buy a car that isn't compatible.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

THOR #6899
Yes 2017 model. I suspect that the guide assumes you are buying automatic. Not sure of my facts here but I think after 2014 Honda said flat towing any auto model was not recommended. Our friends close by have a 2014 CRV which they flat tow and have no problems, which is why the older CRV's are a popular toad. Maybe have a look at a used CRV 2014 or prior?