Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
Hopkins 56210 flat tow harness instead of Mopar

Has anyone looked at or already purchased the Hopkins flat tow harness instead of the Mopar one? Obviously the price point makes it interesting, but I have to wonder how the two are different with such a large price difference.

Forgot to mention this is for Wrangler JL.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Hmmm... According to the RV Upgrades website, there's some question whether it will fit the Wrangler without tow package, but does fit the Gladiator with or without: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Jeep-...it-p/56210.htm

I'm in the process of gathering all I need to hook up our '18 JLU and will be checking this out. Have the Invisibrake and all the wiring in our Xterra, but need a baseplate and the harness. Will leave the baseplate (proprietary anyway, of course) and harness in the Xterra, in case we go back to using it.

Mickey
Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I used model 56200 on my jk. Dont know the difference between the two

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
Yeah, I don't know why they want you to have the tow package. The instructions don't have you plug into it, just the tail light plug. Instructions actually say if you have the tow package there will be 2 plugs and to be sure to use the one plugged into the tail light or it won't work.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #5

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We run the Hopkins 56200 on our 2014 Wrangler Rubicon. Purchased on eBay and it didn't have any restrictions for a tow package versus without. As noted in another response, just make sure you're hitting the right plugs under the left taillight for them to work correctly, and be sure to fasten the ground wire!
GVP
Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
I submitted a question to the website I linked above, and someone responded that it will fit both. Re-checked the website listing and they have corrected the wording. Looks like I'll be ordering that one post haste!

Mickey
Old 02-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #15490
I have a 2019 JLUR I used the mopar wiring harness just because of the plug and play ability with the wiring. I do not have tow package on my JL only problem I have found with the mopar package is you are forced to use the Mopar umbilical cord as well since their plug is a different shape and size.. cut their plug off and rewire to a normal plug and good to go with all cords ��