Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Tennessee
THOR #12286
How do you lock steering wheel when using dolly?

Up front I want to say that I have yet to tow using my RV. I am learning to use the tow dolly with my truck.

Instructions say to lock the steering wheel so the tires do not turn left or right while on the tow dolly. My initial attempt to lock the steering wheel on the car was to use a brake pedal steering wheel anti-theft lock device. This is the bar that hooks around the steering wheel and the other end hooks around the brake pedal. Pull the ends tightly together and lock the pole in place. This broke the brake pedal on my car. No, the brake pedal did not break off but with my Chev Bolt EV, I had a loud popping sound when I pressed the brakes and a few parts feel to the floormat.

My latest method that does work is putting a U-Bolt around the downward spoke of the steering wheel. The U-Bolt goes through 2 holes that I drilled into a long piece of conduit and then bolt that up tight. I put rubber caps on the ends of the conduit. The conduit runs almost the whole width between the driver and passenger door. Rags are placed strategically to avoid wear/scuff marks on the door panels and the steering wheel. This arrangement prevents the steering wheel from turning.

I feel there has to be a better, more simple method to secure the steering wheel that I just haven't thought of.

Ideas? Suggestions? All are appreciated.

MiramarTN
MiramarTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Ratchet strap between the steering wheel and the front seat rails?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Use the seat belt

Run the seat forward. Pull the seatbelt all the way out. Wrap the belt around the bottom (3 times on my Escape) of the steering wheel and plug it in to the latch. Run the seat back until the belt is tight on both sides. Problem solved!
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I guess I am confused! Is it the dolly mfg instructions or the car mfg instructions for locking the steering wheel. The reason I ask is when I drive my KIA onto the Roadmaster dolly and strap the front wheels thats it. Am I missing a step
Old 08-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
are you sure that your car doesn't already 'lock' it's steering wheel when it's turned off?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
are you sure that your car doesn't already 'lock' it's steering wheel when it's turned off?
Nope: Bolt has push button start, no steering wheel lock.

I've pulled ours around on our EZE-Tow dolly--but it doesn't have the swiveling pan (the steering wheel has to remain unlocked for the EZE-Tow) and didn't have an issue.

More details about that can be found here:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com...n-it-be-towed/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We dolly towed a Mini until this year. Initially I used a long nylon strap that wrapped around the steering wheel and brake pedal, but I was always finding that the strap had worked loose after a day of towing. I found this strap from BA Products that loops around the steering wheel and had a bracket that fit over a bar under the front seat. The strap was then tightened with a ratchet. Worked really well. I never found the strap loose again.

https://baprod.com/shop/towing/acces...ng-wheel-lock/
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #8

THOR #12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We dolly towed a Mini until this year. Initially I used a long nylon strap that wrapped around the steering wheel and brake pedal, but I was always finding that the strap had worked loose after a day of towing. I found this strap from BA Products that loops around the steering wheel and had a bracket that fit over a bar under the front seat. The strap was then tightened with a ratchet. Worked really well. I never found the strap loose again.

https://baprod.com/shop/towing/acces...ng-wheel-lock/
This steering wheel lock strap looks a lot better than the contraption I designed.

MiramarTN
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

THOR #5645
Lock Steering wheel

I have a KarKaddy SS. Here's a quote from the manual:

"Shift loaded car into “park” and lock steering wheel with front tires in a straight position. If the car does not have a locking steering column the steering wheel must be tied securely with front tires in a straight position."

I've pulled an Escape 10,000+ miles using only the seat belt to tie the steering wheel down to keep the front tires straight. I've never had the front tires move at all, even when the dolly had a catastrophic blow-out.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

THOR #12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
I have a KarKaddy SS. Here's a quote from the manual:

"Shift loaded car into “park” and lock steering wheel with front tires in a straight position. If the car does not have a locking steering column the steering wheel must be tied securely with front tires in a straight position."

I've pulled an Escape 10,000+ miles using only the seat belt to tie the steering wheel down to keep the front tires straight. I've never had the front tires move at all, even when the dolly had a catastrophic blow-out.
WarEagleDan Thanks for the tip. I have a spoke at the 6 o'clock position on my steering wheel. The seatbelt looks to do a good job with right hand turns but on left hand turns the wheel moves a good bit. I am thinking I need two ratchet straps.

Speaking of WarEagle, on October 13th, I was looking at somewhere to park an RV near Jordan-Hare stadium. University Station? Any ideas?.... and most importantly, GO VOLS!

MiramarTN
Old 08-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
If the tow dolly has a pivoting pan then the steering wheel in the vehicle MUST be prevented from moving.

I was moving my Rampside a short distance, so I did not lock tie the steering wheel down but used only wheel straps. After two mile trip and many right and left turns at 20 to 35 mph, I found the front wheels cocked fully to the right and the wheel straps loose enough to slide both hand under the strap. It is a wonder that the wheel straps did not unhook from the back hitch bar. Lesson learned!
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 AM   #12

THOR #5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarTN View Post
WarEagleDan Thanks for the tip. I have a spoke at the 6 o'clock position on my steering wheel. The seatbelt looks to do a good job with right hand turns but on left hand turns the wheel moves a good bit. I am thinking I need two ratchet straps.

Speaking of WarEagle, on October 13th, I was looking at somewhere to park an RV near Jordan-Hare stadium. University Station? Any ideas?.... and most importantly, GO VOLS!
Does your Bolt have power seats? If so experiment with wrapping the belt around the steering wheel. I had a Focus that had the bar down but was able to secure it OK. But it might be difficult without power.

I usually tailgate at the "hayfield" on S. Donahue. You can see it on Google as Auburn RV Field. I send the DW over at 5AM on Thursday to stake out our spot but you can usually find a spot even if you come in Saturday. But the rule is the earlier the better. This year I'm doing the 1st couple of September games at University RV Park for the comfort of having full hookups to beat the heat. University has live entertainment, a picnic, and runs shuttle buses constantly on Saturday. But you'll need to call early to reserve a spot as they tend to go quickly the closer to game day. War Eagle!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
Run the seat forward. Pull the seatbelt all the way out. Wrap the belt around the bottom (3 times on my Escape) of the steering wheel and plug it in to the latch. Run the seat back until the belt is tight on both sides. Problem solved!
Thanks a bunch
That is way too easy but it works. Hopefully it won't damage my steering wheel.

So far, I haven't done anything except watch that I don't take tight turns and I haven't had any problems. My wheels have a "net" rather than a single strap and I"m not sure how they would come loose even if they do turn.