Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
How level should your trailer be when towing?

I have my truck/trailer set up about as good as I can....but the trailer is still a little "nose high". I have the load bars tensioned so that the truck is just about perfectly level while towing.....and I have the ball dropped down as low as I can get it on the hitch bar....but the trailer still is a few inches high in the front, and not perfectly level.

The only real solution I can see is that I need to buy a longer drop hitch bar, so I can move the ball mount down a few more holes. I'm assuming that getting the trailer closer to level will also make the load distribution bars work better....keeping my truck level and being able to use less tension on them. Right now I pretty much have to have them maxed out to keep the truck level.

Should I but a tow bar with more of a drop so I can set the ball lower and get the trailer perfectly level.....or should I just tow it the way it is?

Any advice would be great!!

Here is a picture....you can see that the front of the trailer is slightly higher than the rear.....I think lowering the ball 1.5"-2" would do the trick.

[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/iqrac

Old 11-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The correct height is level or "slightly" low in the front. Level the trailer with the front jack and take a measurement, attach trailer to truck and remeasure. The loaded hitch should be at the level height or slightly lower. I'm sure if you google their will be several sites that will explain in better detail and why. Had a 30' Airstream and it was in the manual to tow slightly nose down and never nose up.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #3

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The correct height is level or "slightly" low in the front. Level the trailer with the front jack and take a measurement, attach trailer to truck and remeasure. The loaded hitch should be at the level height or slightly lower. I'm sure if you google their will be several sites that will explain in better detail and why. Had a 30' Airstream and it was in the manual to tow slightly nose down and never nose up.

Yes, all of that makes sense. The problem is that in order to get my trailer level, I need to drop the ball down on the shank another inch or two...but it's already at the lowest position. The truck is right where it needs to be...about 1" lower in the rear than it is unloaded.

I think I just need a longer shank so that I can move the ball down another hole or two.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Unfortunately yes, you need to lower the ball. The ball height should be about the same or lower than the level trailer on the jack. With the trailer on the ball the younger weight should bring it below the correct angle. When you engage the stabilizer arms that should bring it to the correct height. Hope I've been helpful.