Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Question Jeep Gladiator question

Question for Gladiator owners who flat tow - - The 2020 Good Sam Dinghy Towing Guide says that the negative battery terminal has to be disconnected when towing, but the Jeep owner's manual does not mention that at all - just tranny in Park, and transfer case in Neutral.

Anybody know the straight scoop? Our first four-down towing, and I tend to believe the Jeep manual.

Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
As a retired printer, manuals can have unpublished updates as well as factual errors. Best to call Jeep.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I'd take Jeeps recommendation over any third party publication or from non Jeep owners on a forum.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU and yours should be just like mine. Follow the procedure in the manual for "Recreational Towing" and placing the Transfer Case in N followed by the transmission in Park.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Transfer case in Neutral takes care of everything.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #6

Model: Accolade 37L
State: Arkansas
THOR #13243
I tow a Gladiator. No need to disconnect the battery. The last Wrangler-type that needed that was, I believe, the pre-2012's that had steering wheel locks
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Check with Jeep.

My 2019 Grand Cherokee does not require the battery to be disconnected, however, the 2020 Grand Cherokee does require the battery to be disconnected. And that change is a real PITA because the battery is under the passenger's seat.

Changes often happen mid-model year.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #3483
JLU Flat Tow

I have a 2020 JLU and flat tow. I did find that after a long day of towing in the mountains when the brakes are used more frequently, it drains the battery. I am pretty sure that this happens because the instruments light up when the brakes are applied. I had the pin connector updated with a charging line to the battery so this is not a problem. Hope this helps.

Soon to be Ex-Californian
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #9

THOR #14543
Cool

Thanks, folks. All things considered, I think I'll call Jeep tomorrow and find out which one is right - the owner's manual, or the Good Sam towing guide. Just want to make sure I don't destroy the new baby before we make the first payment!

O||||||O
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 AM   #10

THOR #3483
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Thanks, folks. All things considered, I think I'll call Jeep tomorrow and find out which one is right - the owner's manual, or the Good Sam towing guide. Just want to make sure I don't destroy the new baby before we make the first payment!

O||||||O
There is a section for this in your owner's manual... before towing and after towing. I have a friend who had a good suggestion that I took. Copy these instructions verbatim and laminate them for use in your glove compartment. Use them every time, every time. Placing the transmission in Park while the engine is running can cause damage. You don't have to call Jeep because you may get some brand new guy that will give you bad information.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #11

THOR #14543
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I have a friend who had a good suggestion that I took. Copy these instructions verbatim and laminate them for use in your glove compartment. Use them every time, every time.
Now, that's just scary. You must have read my mind. After my last post above, I made a Word document with the exact wording from the owner's manual, including pre-towing and post-towing, and prepared it for laminating tomorrow morning. Making two copies - - one to keep in the Jeep and one in the motorhome. Then I came back here and saw your post.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #12

THOR #3483
Flat Towing

Quote:
Now, that's just scary. You must have read my mind. After my last post above, I made a Word document with the exact wording from the owner's manual, including pre-towing and post-towing, and prepared it for laminating tomorrow morning. Making two copies - - one to keep in the Jeep and one in the motorhome. Then I came back here and saw your post.
Do that and you'll be in good shape. Happy flat towing! By the way, I invested in the Blue Ox guard for the front of the Jeep.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:57 AM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV...b_b_asin_image

This is a link to a wireless remote control battery cutoff switch.
Very cheap, very handy. Mount the remote somewhere hidden and it will work as a hidden kill switch too.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:

O||||||O

You can call Jeep but they will tell you that Owners Manual is the Bible. There is a specific section called: Recreational Towing — Four-Wheel Drive Models

I attached a screen shot from my manual so you can see what it looks like.

I also created a check-list that primarily came right out of the Jeep Owners Manual. I normally charge $100 for it but for today only it is free for anyone to download so I have attached it as well.

I went with the Roadmaster Direct Connect Baseplate (I installed it myself in a couple hours), the Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar (by far the best one on the market) and the RVi Brake3 (I wanted a removable brake system so I could move it to another toad... it is very quick and easy to use). I also added the Roadmaster Tow Defender to protect the front of the Jeep from rocks and road debris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.22.40 AM.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	26887  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Toad Check-List.pdf (24.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
I have Gladiator and a 2018 Sahara which I have both setup for flat towing. The neg battery connection does not need to be touched.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
Flat towing 2020 Jeep Gladiator

I have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator that my husband and I flat tow behind our 2019 Thor Aria 3601. You only need to put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic transmission in park. You do not have to do anything else. This is by far the best toad that we have ever had.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #17

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Late to the post but our 2014 Rubicon requires the battery disconnected when in TOAD mode.
Gary
GVP
Old 11-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #18

THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole H. View Post
I have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator that my husband and I flat tow behind our 2019 Thor Aria 3601. You only need to put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic transmission in park. You do not have to do anything else. This is by far the best toad that we have ever had.
^^^^THIS^^^^

Installation completed. As the installer told me, the battery cannot be disconnected in this vehicle because the Demco braking system relies on the electric vacuum pump to function. He installed a charging circuit from the MH to keep the battery charged.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
^^^^THIS^^^^

Installation completed. As the installer told me, the battery cannot be disconnected in this vehicle because the Demco braking system relies on the electric vacuum pump to function. He installed a charging circuit from the MH to keep the battery charged.

Well the braking system does need the battery but there’s no reason why it couldn’t be connected directly to the battery even while disconnecting the factory car wiring. If Jeep wants the wiring disconnected I’d certainly disconnect it and just wire the Demco directly. My Jeep Wrangler does not require disconnecting he battery but I added a charging system anyway.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:00 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Jeep has to have some reasoning behind disconnecting the battery while flat towing on your Gladiator. Personally I would refer to the owners manual as deviating from those instructions might void the warranty.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote