Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm gonna need some good advice...

The Smart mange to find a way to NOT pass the annual NYS inspection process...
I've already got a 2021 Chevy Spark (ICE) coming. I found it used; with just 241 miles on it.
My questions:
Which tow dolly would you suggest?
Which Toad braking system would you suggest?
Thanks!

In Memorian...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1631371395
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1631371395
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-22-2019 02.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	33529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_075756.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	33530  

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So how'd it fail Bob?
Hopefully that Spark you have coming is a manual if you want to flat tow it (braking system).
Automatic (CVT) will require a tow dolly which should have its own braking system.

Trailer too small for the Spark?

For flat towing, would you prefer a permanently installed brake system or a portable brake system?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You ask about tow dolly, get one with surge brakes and no other braking is required. We used a Master Tow 80 for 5 years.

Also, locking steering wheel get one with a rotating bed if the steering wheel does not lock get a dolly with a fixed bed.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You ask about tow dolly, get one with surge brakes and no other braking is required. We used a Master Tow 80 for 5 years.

Also, locking steering wheel get one with a rotating bed if the steering wheel does not lock get a dolly with a fixed bed.
Surge brakes, and find out if the steering wheel locks: check!
Thanks for the help!

It failed due to the emissions system needing a part that simply could not be found. We called virtually every dealership that used to sell them, and even the salvage yards: no luck...
Old 09-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I have a ‘20 Spark 5 speed
Steer-wheel does NOT lock

BTW…it’s 99% SoKorea, 1% Chevy
Old 09-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Bob
If the toad does not fit on your current trailer and you decide to tow dolly it, remember that you will have to crawl around the tow dolly each time you either hook up or unhook your toad. I use a tow dolly (Cartow dolly.com) that has surge brakes with disc brakes on the tow dolly wheels. It also has brake lights on the tow dolly, but I added magnetic tow/brake lights that I just stick onto my toad for additional braking lights. Some states require them. I just added a two plug adapter to my hitch plug so I can have both the trailer brake lights and magnetic brake lights working. There are also wireless magnetic brake lights available(comes with a trailer hitch plug that operates the brake lights). On my tow dolly, I have to put on the safety tire strap on each front wheel and then attach an under carriage safety chain on each front side. I also made up a check list that I follow whenever I hook up or remove the toad from the dolly. That way I don't forget a step. I keep it inside the cab and pull it out each time to use. There are several YouTube Videos on car tow dollies to view. If your car does not have a locking steering wheel, you do not need a tow dolly that swivels.

NOTE: I have been very happy with my tow dolly from Acme CarTow Dolly.com. Their customer service has been outstanding.

Paul
Old 09-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I have a ‘20 Spark 5 speed
Steer-wheel does NOT lock

BTW…it’s 99% SoKorea, 1% Chevy
This one will have the CVT tranny in it. It definitely needs a dolly under the front wheels...
Old 09-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #8

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

I asking to get educated; I have no alternative motive; so take my question in kind...

If the Spark is going to be on a tow dolly, why the preference to have steering wheel locked? I don't think I have a vehicle where the steering is NOT locked when engine is not running?

Also are you saying they make tow dollys that rotate?

My questions may explain why I never tried to have a Toad. I have towed cars and motorcycles with my SUV, but always used U Haul trailers. I am trying to conceptualized a U haul trailer that rotates
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I asking to get educated; I have no alternative motive; so take my question in kind...

If the Spark is going to be on a tow dolly, why the preference to have steering wheel locked? I don't think I have a vehicle where the steering is NOT locked when engine is not running?

Also are you saying they make tow dollys that rotate?

My questions may explain why I never tried to have a Toad. I have towed cars and motorcycles with my SUV, but always used U Haul trailers. I am trying to conceptualized a U haul trailer that rotates
Steering wheel locking is old technology in the anti-theft world. Plenty of cars that no longer lock the steering wheel with the key removed (Spark as mentioned, Sonic, Jeeps, just to name some that I know of).

U-Haul dollies have had rotating base plates for years, I know, I own a decommissioned U-Haul dolly . Retail dollies cam be purchased with fixed, rotating, or locking rotating baseplates.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There are differences between trailers; and tow dollies...
Trailers don't have to offer swiveling versions...
Old 09-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It failed due to the emissions system needing a part that simply could not be found. We called virtually every dealership that used to sell them, and even the salvage yards: no luck...
So should we expect to see it listed in the classified here? There's plenty of states without inspections for it if it still runs and drives; and I believe you put a baseplate on it originally?
Old 09-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Steering wheel locking is old technology in the anti-theft world. Plenty of cars that no longer lock the steering wheel with the key removed (Spark as mentioned, Sonic, Jeeps, just to name some that I know of).

So what you trying to say... my name is not really D Koldman; and I might be an old man after all I just thought all steering wheels locked by default, even the Model T, never knew it was something done for theft?

U-Haul dollies have had rotating base plates for years, I know, I own a decommissioned U-Haul dolly . Retail dollies cam be purchased with fixed, rotating, or locking rotating baseplates.
Quote:
There are differences between trailers; and tow dollies...
Trailers don't have to offer swiveling versions...
Okay I missed the distinction between dollies and trailers. I have never rented any kind of Tow Dolly, just Tow trailers that you drive up on ( all wheels), so the rotating dolly/trailer thought was the brain freeze I was having.

I Googled U haul rotating baseplates but got nothing. Google is not always your friend, ..... With that out of the way; so you have a two wheel dolly, you put the two front tires on it, the steering wheel doesn't the lock? What happens, what would you break or damage, and how do you rotate the baseplate to fix?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
With the steering wheel unlocked, the dynamics of the tow dolly on the toad uses the toad's suspension when turning/cornering vs a locking steering column would need the tow dolly base plate under the toad's front wheels to rotate/turn with a turning movement from the motor home towing it. You have to remember that the tow dolly has it's own wheels plus you are adding the toad's rear wheels to the equation.

Paul
Old 09-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
With the steering wheel unlocked, the dynamics of the tow dolly on the toad uses the toad's suspension when turning/cornering vs a locking steering column would need the tow dolly base plate under the toad's front wheels to rotate/turn with a turning movement from the motor home towing it. You have to remember that the tow dolly has it's own wheels plus you are adding the toad's rear wheels to the equation.

Paul

Thank you... That is what I was missing. I had my lesson early today, so now I can drink beer the rest of the afternoon
Old 09-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So should we expect to see it listed in the classified here? There's plenty of states without inspections for it if it still runs and drives; and I believe you put a baseplate on it originally?
I had the chance to trade it in, and I almost got what I paid for it... two years ago!
Watch for it on Carvana
Old 09-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
I had the chance to trade it in, and I almost got what I paid for it... two years ago!
Watch for it on Carvana
Throw in the Tiffin and I will buy it. I know where to take it to get it inspected in Texas regardless of condition. They don't take tacos or donuts; but if you pay enough cash it is a none issue and everybody is happy
Old 09-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Missus anticipated this...
She has promised me that if the Tiffin disappears: the Police will NEVER find my body!
Old 09-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
The Missus anticipated this...
She has promised me that if the Tiffin disappears: the Police will NEVER find my body!
Gulp!!! I thinking you best follow orders and don't push it. Sounds like just selling the Smart is the Smart thing to do
Old 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #19

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
American Car Dolly, 15 inch tires, swivel deck, brake controller on the dolly 4 pin flat plug, brake lights, don't need tags or registration and they deliver it to you and demonstrate hooking and loading up for free, the owner of the company delivered ours to campground since we're full-time. Worked great for 3 years, 2 different suvs no new parts or $$$ involved just drive on,, just sold it in 1 day, new car is flat towable so made the change.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #20

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
this company builds a trailer specifically for a Smart car.https://www.sporttrailer.co/ECHO/SMA...20TRAILERS.htm
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote