Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Omni/Magnitude towing 15k lbs

Has any owner of an Omni or Magnitude replaced the hitch with a heavier duty 15k lb hitch and towed more than 10k lbs. I want to be able to put a 2 car trailer on my coach pulling 2 jeeps. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how does the F550 handle it? I have towed one Jeep on a trailer and the truck acts like it is not even towing anything.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While I'm sure that the engine can handle: I'd be cautious about the rest of the components...

Why 2 Jeeps?
Old 11-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #3

THOR #19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
While I'm sure that the engine can handle: I'd be cautious about the rest of the components...

Why 2 Jeeps?
They are built jeeps for rock crawling and off roading. We travel all over to different areas the best one being Windrock Park in Tennessee which has a great campground right on site.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Awesome!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have not but agree that the Magnitude tows very well. I tow a Spyder on an Aluma 210 trailer at times and a Jeep Wrangler four down other times and you hardly know they are back there.

I believe the 2020 Omni / Magnitudes had a GCWR of 35,000 and the 2021's are now rated at 40000... even though both years are still rated at 19,500 for GVWR.

Given the chassis is extended and customized for the coach to some extent, you probably want to take it to a shop that specializes in hitches to make sure it gets attached properly to the frame.

Given the weight of the coach itself and it usually getting close to the GVWR rating when fully loaded, I would consider beefing up the suspension a bit. A track bar may be in order as well as bigger springs. I think the rear sway bar is pretty stout and not sure if anyone make one that is heavier.

I installed Sumo Springs on mine to help soften the ride a bit on rough roads. That might help a little.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I want to see some pictures of those rock crawlers!
(my first 4-wheeled vehicle was a 1945 Willys MB...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #7

THOR #19481
Thanks for the input Judge. I agree with everything you said, I was hoping someone else had done this so I am not the one experimenting LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have not but agree that the Magnitude tows very well. I tow a Spyder on an Aluma 210 trailer at times and a Jeep Wrangler four down other times and you hardly know they are back there.

I believe the 2020 Omni / Magnitudes had a GCWR of 35,000 and the 2021's are now rated at 40000... even though both years are still rated at 19,500 for GVWR.

Given the chassis is extended and customized for the coach to some extent, you probably want to take it to a shop that specializes in hitches to make sure it gets attached properly to the frame.

Given the weight of the coach itself and it usually getting close to the GVWR rating when fully loaded, I would consider beefing up the suspension a bit. A track bar may be in order as well as bigger springs. I think the rear sway bar is pretty stout and not sure if anyone make one that is heavier.

I installed Sumo Springs on mine to help soften the ride a bit on rough roads. That might help a little.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi RickDo

My first and only 4 wheeler was a Ford Bronco II that I bought brand new in 1984. I did many off road miles on it. It climbed everywhere. We went on many off road trips with a small club we formed back in the day.

Paul
Old 12-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
Has any owner of an Omni or Magnitude replaced the hitch with a heavier duty 15k lb hitch and towed more than 10k lbs. I want to be able to put a 2 car trailer on my coach pulling 2 jeeps. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how does the F550 handle it? I have towed one Jeep on a trailer and the truck acts like it is not even towing anything.
Most of the folks I have encountered that tow a stacker trailer or one capable of multiple vehicles use a Class 7 for higher Super C or a larger diesel pusher. I haven't seen or heard of anyone towing that much on a class 5 chassis motorhome.

Good Luck.

Something to consider is why didn't the manufacturer (Thor) install a 12 or 15K hitch if the capability was there? Would have been a major selling point.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #10

THOR #19481
Until I find someone else who has done it I will continue to pull just the one jeep. I have an F350 with the same engine and pull the 2 jeeps on a gooseneck like they are not even there. Of course the pickup itself weighs one heck of a lot less. LOL
Old 12-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How do you pick the Jeep that goes on the trailer? Are they set up for different types of challenges?
Old 12-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #12

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
How much weight do you feel the jeeps and trailer will be?
To pull an inline trailer, I would think no issues.
The length will help to stabalize any kind of sway.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

THOR #19481
No I have one that is used most of the time for wheeling but have another one that is more for fun wheeling. Just would like to bring the second in case I break the main one because then if I cannot get or do not have parts with me we are done.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #14

THOR #19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
How much weight do you feel the jeeps and trailer will be?
To pull an inline trailer, I would think no issues.
The length will help to stabalize any kind of sway.
I figure it would be right around 14k lbs. I am bringing the coach to Thor for some repair in the spring will run it by the guys in the shop there.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #15

THOR #19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi RickDo

My first and only 4 wheeler was a Ford Bronco II that I bought brand new in 1984. I did many off road miles on it. It climbed everywhere. We went on many off road trips with a small club we formed back in the day.

Paul
Great little 4 wheeler. Back in the 70's I wheeled a 1974 Ford Bronco 3 speed and went everywhere with it. Cut out the back wheel wells so we could put bigger tires on it.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #16

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #18758
Quote:
... I think the rear sway bar is pretty stout and not sure if anyone make one that is heavier...
I purchased a Helwig bar which is a little beefier. It also has three different attaching points for ride adjustment.It is slightly larger than stock. I did notice an improvement just at the softest setting. The Roadmaster one is a monster, very stout all around.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #17

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:

Judge, do you have a link or a previous post about the sumo springs? Sounds interesting to me for my XG32.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #18

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
Judge, do you have a link or a previous post about the sumo springs? Sounds interesting to me for my XG32.

Sure....

Sumo Springs replace the factory bump stops. They are like an airless air bag and are designed to enhance load carrying ability, stabilize sway, and improve overall driver control and ride comfort. They are maintenance free and will help soften the ride a bit over rough roads. Depending on the vehicle, they can come in some different configurations and weight carrying capacities.

These are the ones I installed on my SV34.

F-550 Front (there are three weights available; this is the lightest)

https://www.supersprings.com/applica...ide/SSF-111-40

F-550 Rear

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-120-54/
Old 01-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #19

Model: Magnitude
State: Texas
THOR #21745
Absolutely The F550 will handle it. The Ford PS 6.7 is a beast, not to mention the new 10 speed transmission. I have 2021 Thor Magnitude, and I also have a 2014 Ford F350 with the PS 6.7. I used to tow a 36 foot fifth wheel, with a 14 foot trailer loaded with a Kawasaki mule behind that. That F350 had the older turbo that is two generations behind and still handled super easy towing from Texas to South Fork, Colorado. That route goes across Raton pass and La Veta pass. Now that I have the Magnitude, last September I took the same route flat towing our F150 with a 15 foot trailer loaded with two ATV's behind that. No issues at all.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:48 AM   #20

THOR #19481
You towed a pickup truck that was towing a trailer with your Magnitude?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler1075 View Post
Absolutely The F550 will handle it. The Ford PS 6.7 is a beast, not to mention the new 10 speed transmission. I have 2021 Thor Magnitude, and I also have a 2014 Ford F350 with the PS 6.7. I used to tow a 36 foot fifth wheel, with a 14 foot trailer loaded with a Kawasaki mule behind that. That F350 had the older turbo that is two generations behind and still handled super easy towing from Texas to South Fork, Colorado. That route goes across Raton pass and La Veta pass. Now that I have the Magnitude, last September I took the same route flat towing our F150 with a 15 foot trailer loaded with two ATV's behind that. No issues at all.