Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19397
Installer for Toad towing system

We recently purchased a 2018 Thor Siesta 24 SS. We are thinking about flat towing a Hyundai Elantra SE. We just don't know who to go to for the installation of the base plate, tow bar, etc. We live in Northeast Florida, near St Augustine. Other posts on this forum suggest we would be looking at something other than Camping World. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAW2018SiestaSS View Post
We recently purchased a 2018 Thor Siesta 24 SS. We are thinking about flat towing a Hyundai Elantra SE. We just don't know who to go to for the installation of the base plate, tow bar, etc. We live in Northeast Florida, near St Augustine. Other posts on this forum suggest we would be looking at something other than Camping World. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
First, not all vehicles can be flat towed so make sure you can flat tow the Hyundai. For 2019 or 2020 there are no Hyundais that are in the towing guide as being flat towing capable. Check the owner's manual and see what the towing restrictions are and if the vehicle can be recreational towed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #3

THOR #19397
Thank you, Dave. I'm looking at 2018 and earlier. The Motorhome guide says the Elantra in 2018 can be flat towed, manual transmission, no special requirements. I had thought about a Jeep, but I'm concerned about hitting max gross on the coach. The towing capacity is 5,000 pounds, but I'd like to stay under 3,000.

Curt
Old 06-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
find a local 4wd truck modification or truck bed installation shop... those that install stereos, aftermarket suspensions, and modification have the skills and tools to easily install a baseplate on a car, which is basically all there is to it.
If you want them to also run a set of integrated turn/brake lights, they can easily do that as well.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I too have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS and have been looking at a tow dolly to bring our 2014 Ford Flex along for the ride when we go cross country. I have been looking at the Acme EZE Tow Dolly with surge brakes. With my Flex, I don't have to keep the ignition turned on for the front wheels to turn since the steering wheel does not lock. Been looking at several tow dolly models lately.

Good luck
Paul
Old 06-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
When we added our Blue Ox system, I went straight to Blue Ox's website, where they show you their authorized dealers. This way, I knew I was dealing with someone reputable. I see you are in Florida. Mine was done in Sarasota and I was very pleased by the job they did, and the install on a 2018 Ford Explorer is not that straight-forward. Good luck.

https://www.blueox.com/dealer-locator/
Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
I just completed installing a BlueOx baseplate on a ‘20 Chevy Spark.
Was very straight forward.
Just remove the front end cowling & bolt on

Here’s what I found on eTrailer for your Elantra.
When you remove the front cowling, this is what you’ll see.
It’s all plastic connectors and small screws
And the BlueOx baseplate generally uses existing holes so little to no drilling required

For my vehicle I found better pricing on Amazon, but eTrailer now does price matching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86718AE7-0B3B-4E8A-A6AE-07A869CD2866.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	24532  
Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you want to stay well under 3000 pounds... take a look around for a used 2016 or newer Smart Fortwo.
They can be towed four-down, or put on a very small trailer.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #9

THOR #19450
Why not Camping World? That was where I was going to go but now I'm curious. Bad rep? Thanks!

Quote:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Definitely look for a local hitch shop. You'll get better service and put money back into the local economy.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by egslaw View Post
Why not Camping World? That was where I was going to go but now I'm curious. Bad rep? Thanks!
I used Camping World because I got ours done when they ran the install anything for 59.00 promotion and I was getting the Invisibrake.

I had two problems with their installation/workmanship.

First, the mounting screws for the bracket for the brake cable were over torqued and broke after 3 days. Luckily we were not towing.

Second, they did a lousy job wiring the umbilical cord and I kept blowing 7 pin connector fuses. The RoadMaster regional rep came to my house twice to get that sorted out.

The installation of the Invisibrake at our local shops presented two problems. First nobody outside camping World had ever installed one and they were all pushing Patriot, and I mean pushing. Second the one shop that was willing to install one wanted 800.00 just for the Invisibrake installation.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I used Camping World because I got ours done when they ran the install anything for 59.00 promotion and I was getting the Invisibrake.

I took advantage of the same promotion... No issues with the install - base plate and Invisibrake.
I installed Jeeps OEM brake light controller and umbilical before going to CW.
There are good and bad CW locations... I have no issues with Belleville, MI location (was back in 2014)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #13

THOR #19243
Quote:
Thank you, Dave. I'm looking at 2018 and earlier. The Motorhome guide says the Elantra in 2018 can be flat towed, manual transmission, no special requirements. I had thought about a Jeep, but I'm concerned about hitting max gross on the coach. The towing capacity is 5,000 pounds, but I'd like to stay under 3,000.

Curt

You might not have a 5000# tow capacity, they rate the hitch at that. My Sprinter class C has a GVWR rating of 11,030 lbs and a GCWR rating of 15,250 lbs. that means a tow rating of 4,220 lbs....and that’s if your Sprinter is not already overloaded which is VERY easy to do. I suggest pulling into a CAT scale sometime soon to weigh your rig, the first time I did I was 400 lbs over the allowed 11,030 lbs! I got serious about what I really didn’t need to carry!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #14

Model: 25.2 Vegas
State: Washington
THOR #19473
Here in Wa State there are Co's who install trailer hitches and also do tow bars..You may want to try some of those. I would also check local Mechanics. I found an owner operator who works out of his home..
Old 07-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by egslaw View Post
They have a reputation alright? I wouldn't let CW within 100 yds of my RV - period.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Towing capacity gets really complicated. As mentioned, the equipment 'attached' to the RV may be rated at 5k but how it's attached to the frame also dictates capacity. Add any length to the receiver, and it's affected as well. There's a complete thread out here somewhere. Try Search.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #17

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Find a local independent auto mechanic. They will do it for much less than a dealer.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #18

THOR #17220
Quote:
On Rt 1, Ormond beach is Robbins RV. Directly across from them is a trailer shop. They do all installs, wiring etc etc. great place. You should also check the lobby of Robbins, they often have used towing rigs/ supplies At great reduced prices. We have the Thor 24SP.
Just take the Harley Davidson Exit and go 5 min East down rt1.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #19

THOR #15940
We just went to our local mechanic. A base plate isn't that complicated. He didn’t charge me $149 an hour for labor either.
We tow a 2018 F150 4X4, it's a little under 5,000lbs now that they are aluminum. To get it ready to tow all you do is turn the 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive knob a few times in the right order and Wala, no climbing under no having to rig special cables. And it doesn't have a 60 or 65 mile-an-hour speed limit or a distance limit on how far you can tow it flat.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #20

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
I used Camping world. Face it they are the experts. They did a fantastic job. If you are a Good Sam Member you get 40% of parts.

Tags
installation, toad, tow bar