Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #14070
Jeep JT/JL Supplemental Braking

I'm going down the path of finding the right set up for flat towing. I've boiled it down to the components I like, but thought I'd throw this question out there before pulling the trigger.

For the braking system, what I would love to see is a cable that plugs into the RV's 7-pin, running into the cab of the toad, into a box. Another cable from the box would go into the OBD port (or maybe the factory port under the dash for the brake controller). That box would use the vehicle's electronic braking system, already in place for the adaptive cruise control, to brake and illuminate the brake lights and signals. Anyone know if this exists?

Old 09-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Never heard of any such contraption.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

THOR #14070
Pulled from another conversation, the factory electronic braking system still uses the engine assist to function, so without the engine running, it wouldn't be powerful enough to work properly. Case closed on that idea!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL and I am using the RVi Brake3. It is easy to install and remove and my JL has a full time 12V outlet in the rear so I use a 12V extension cable to provide power.

The break-away is easy to install in the JL and I also purchased an auto reset circuit breaker and ran wiring to provide power to the JL battery from the coach..

So far I am happy with the system and it was very easy to setup.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:00 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Mopar does sell an OEM wiring harness that plugs in between large connector under dash and allows the RV to power the brake/turn lights...
As for braking, I have Invisibrake (paired with the above harness) on my 2010 Wrangler. I preferred a unit that made use of the power brakes (has its own vacuum pump teed in to booster) over a ‘dead pedal’ solution.
Been happy with both.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #6

THOR #14070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL and I am using the RVi Brake3.
What did you do for setting up the running lights for towing the Wrangler at night?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #7

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Mopar does sell an OEM wiring harness that plugs in between large connector under dash and allows the RV to power the brake/turn lights...
As for braking, I have Invisibrake (paired with the above harness) on my 2010 Wrangler. I preferred a unit that made use of the power brakes (has its own vacuum pump teed in to booster) over a ‘dead pedal’ solution.
Been happy with both.

Another happy Invisibrake user here! Invisibrake also charges the Toad's battery as you drive, as long as the parking or headlights are on in the coach.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
What did you do for setting up the running lights for towing the Wrangler at night?

I installed the diode wiring that part of this Nighthawk Tow Bar Combo Kit....

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RM-9284-2.html

This kit is a bargain because the diode wiring kit is more than this kit by itself. It wasn't hard at all and I ran the wiring inside the frame from the front bumper to the back bumper so most of the wiring is hidden.

I like the RVi Brake3 because I can easily move it to another vehicle. It also provides proportional breaking and is very easy to install, setup and remove.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #9

THOR #15410
I have patriot 2 brake system, works great
Old 10-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use the Stay in Play brake system in my Wrangler. “Permanently” installed so nothing to tote around or set up. Just flip a switch and go. It also is one of the few proportional systems - which is important to me. For lights I used the Hopkins kit which is plug and play. Couldn’t be easier.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:57 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #11607
I use the RVi Brake 3 as well. Very simple to setup and works great. Blue Ox tow setup, diode installed to have lights and 12v supply from coach to power RVI3 and lights.

I can setup to tow or unhook in less than 5 minutes.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #12

Model: Outlaw 37LS
State: Nebraska
THOR #1630
Readybrute

I have been very happy with my ready brute elite for towing my JLUS for the past year, and a CRV before that.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12990
If your coach has air brakes, the Air Force One system is one of the easiest to use. Attach the tow bar, connect the power cable, and the air hose and you’re done.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #14

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
I'm going down the path of finding the right set up for flat towing. I've boiled it down to the components I like, but thought I'd throw this question out there before pulling the trigger.

For the braking system, what I would love to see is a cable that plugs into the RV's 7-pin, running into the cab of the toad, into a box. Another cable from the box would go into the OBD port (or maybe the factory port under the dash for the brake controller). That box would use the vehicle's electronic braking system, already in place for the adaptive cruise control, to brake and illuminate the brake lights and signals. Anyone know if this exists?
We tow our 2 door 2015 Jeep Rubicon behind our 2016 Chateau, 33' long and do not use a braking system and have had no issues. We use the Blue Ox tow bar which is easy to attach. We have gone on some steep roads, up and down and no issues not having a braking system for the tow bar
Old 10-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTaylor View Post
If your coach has air brakes, the Air Force One system is one of the easiest to use. Attach the tow bar, connect the power cable, and the air hose and you’re done.

If you DON’T have air brakes the Stay in Play is somewhat equivalent. It uses the towed’s power brakes, offers proportional braking and only requires flipping a switch to be ready to go. I like mine a lot.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:33 AM   #16

Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
THOR #19687
Must install brake controller!!!

In most states it is illegal to tow without a brake controller. I tow an F150, but my Thor weighs over 30,000 pounds and hardly notices the extra weight of the pickup. But if you're inspected without a brake controller, you're in trouble. I think the main reason for the laws is that if your towed ever breaks free, and dosn't have a controller immediately stomping on the brakes, your towed can cause accidents and kill people. It's rare that toweds break free of the RV, but it's just not worth the criminal charges you'd face in that case if you had disobeyed the safety laws.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #4796
Better safe than sorry!

Our braking system was installed by a local 'off-road' customs shop, and we are very pleased with it. Being a simple housewife, I can't recall the name of the system, but I do recall it was NOT at all expensive! Also, the hubby and I can hook and unhook our Wrangler in a flash; best time was 3 minutes with the majority of the 3 minutes spent with unlocking the doors and me trying to shift the transfer case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Document1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	26581  
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:29 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15052
I also, have a RVi Brake 3. I have 2 different Toads both new Jeeps. Without the braking system my stopping distance is affected. The RVi is a proportional system so it is not a on/off braking system. It also comes with a Android tablet with a great interface for monitoring the brake. It is not much bigger than a briefcase and does not use the seat as a backstop so there is no seat positioning required . I also plug it into a battery jumper pack to not drain the Jeep battery. It will run for days off of it which is needed on multi day trips.
In my investigations this summer I never saw any configuration on a portable braking system that was fed from the plug to the RV. It uses an accelerometer to detect when to brake. No wiring as it is self contained.
Toad 2 - 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fordste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #19

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Also, the hubby and I can hook and unhook our Wrangler in a flash; best time was 3 minutes with the majority of the 3 minutes spent with unlocking the doors and me trying to shift the transfer case.

Yeah, stubborn, ain't it?! I'm told ours will loosen up with time, but it takes Godzilla to move that stick!
Old 10-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Yeah, stubborn, ain't it?! I'm told ours will loosen up with time, but it takes Godzilla to move that stick!
I've found it can be easier to first move the transfer case into 4L and then after moving the jeep it seems easier to get back to 2H or 4Auto.