Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
Hi Ador,

The manual says to put trans in neutral turn off engine. Then proceed to move transfer case neutral to 2WD. sometime the gears don't match up so I start the jeep again put trans in drive back to neutral turn off engine. Then try transfer case. Sometimes that is enough to line up the gears and it comes out of neutral pretty easy. . The most I had do this process is twice. So far so good.

Most people grab the shifter and pull back. I grab the handle with my palm facing the passenger seat. That gives outside pressure and slides to neutral very easy.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #42

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Thanks for your response RichS.

When shifting the transfer case "to NEUTRAL" I tried to follow the manual... but NEVER was able to shift t/c to Neutral.

1. Start Engine
2. Shift Gear to NEUTRAL
3. Turn OFF engine
4. Shift transfer case to NEUTRAL

I have never been able to shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL with the engine OFF. I was able to do that with the ENGINE running (though I experienced some grinding twice), then it shifted to NEUTRAL. Same issue with trying to shift transfer case from NEUTRAL to 2L. I am afraid I will break something if I put too much force with the Transfer Case shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Hi Ador,

The manual says to put trans in neutral turn off engine. Then proceed to move transfer case neutral to 2WD. sometime the gears don't match up so I start the jeep again put trans in drive back to neutral turn off engine. Then try transfer case. Sometimes that is enough to line up the gears and it comes out of neutral pretty easy. . The most I had do this process is twice. So far so good.

Most people grab the shifter and pull back. I grab the handle with my palm facing the passenger seat. That gives outside pressure and slides to neutral very easy.
ador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #43

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
After 2 1/2 years of driving my Vegas without towing, I finally caved and bought a new 2 door Wrangler Sport. I was tired of trying to find rental cars, using UBER, etc. I know it doesn't make financial sense, but it makes RV travel more convenient. I bought the new Wrangler as used ones are not much cheaper and I did not want to buy someone else's abused Jeep. I decided to buy the 2 door to conserve garage space and I rarely will need to take more than two of us.

I had a local, family-owned RV shop do my setup for about $4470 plus tax.
--Blue Ox Alpha 2 tow bar
--Blue Ox base plate
--Demco Stay in Play brake system
--Light wiring and battery charge line
They did a first class job-much better than I could have done and worth the cost!

Looking forward to more flexibility and convenience.
Congrats on the new Jeep! I have a 2 dr as well and have the same tow set-up you went with, couldn’t be happier with the set up. I leave my back seat out for storage purposes and its a great area for our Lab - Jeeps2 You will get the hook and unhook process down to minutes with time and repetition. ENJOY!!!!
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:07 PM   #44

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
Ador

You are correct. With the engine off grab the transfer case shift with your palm facing passenger seat. Your hand will be upside down When you pull it back add pressure towards the passenger seat to get in neutral. Getting out of neutral use the procedure in my last post.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:59 PM   #45

Model: Windsport
State: New York
THOR #25864
Brake System

I'm purchasing a Jeep Wrangler 2022 2dr Sport and plan to tow behind my 29M Windsport. Anyone tow the 2DR Sport without brake assistance ?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:40 PM   #46
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfparsio View Post
I'm purchasing a Jeep Wrangler 2022 2dr Sport and plan to tow behind my 29M Windsport. Anyone tow the 2DR Sport without brake assistance ?
New York requires brakes over 1000lbs.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:05 PM   #47
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
No, don't cheap out with your safety.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:28 AM   #48

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Please add a braking system. RVs don’t stop all that well to begin with and adding a couple of tons to the load won’t help. If it seems like too much of a hassle you might consider the Stay in Play system. It is semi permanently installed but once in place it’s ready to go with the flip of a switch. I self installed in a few hours.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:00 AM   #49

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Rvi Brake 3 is simple and easy to use.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #50

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Same advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Please add a braking system. RVs don’t stop all that well to begin with and adding a couple of tons to the load won’t help. If it seems like too much of a hassle you might consider the Stay in Play system. It is semi permanently installed but once in place it’s ready to go with the flip of a switch. I self installed in a few hours.
I would offer the same advice on the Demco Stay in Play system. It's more cost and labor upfront, but is nearly out of sight and saves the effort of moving a braking system every time you connect and disconnect. I had the whole package installed as I just felt I could not do as good a job as the shop that did the work.

I also strongly second the advice on having a braking system. It is required in most, if not all, States and the non-compliance is a big potential insurance/liability issue if there is an accident. I believe there would be a lot more stress on your RV's brakes and your tow bar system. The Jeep adds about 2 tons of mass that has to be slowed and/or stopped-sometimes quickly!
Old 06-27-2022, 12:54 AM   #51

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Most states have a law requiring brake assistance on anything towed over 1500 -3000 pounds depending on state.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2022, 11:45 PM   #52

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26911
did you do the install yourself or had it installed? At what cost? We just received our 32FT 2023 Magnitude and want to flat tow our 2022 Wrangler 4-door diesel.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #53

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I just replaced my Lifted 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. The Gladiator is basically a Wrangler with four doors and a huge trunk, I got one with a Tonneau cover. My Wife is 5'2" and she always had issues getting into the ZJ. The ZT came with everything I had to add, lift included, to my ZJ and added a dropdown step that makes it easy for my wife to get in.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:19 AM   #54

THOR #28145
Quote:
Most states require brakes on trailers over a certain amount of weight. Your Jeep is most certainly above that weight limit.

I have experience with two breaking systems.

The first was the Roadmaster Break master system. This system was designed first as a system for use with motorhomes that have air brakes. Air from the towing vehicle was used to operate an air cylinder hooked to the towed vehicle brake pedal. For motorhomes with hydraulic breaks a small air pump and pressure tank was added to provide the air for this. The flaw with this system is that the air pump kept blowing off the connection to the air tank rendering the system inoperative.

The second the Roadmaster Invisibrake which I just had installed on my Jeep Gladiator. This system is a semi-permanent install on the towed vehicle. It can be removed and installed on new vehicle if you trade in the old one. It is activated when the motorhome brake lights come on. It works by providing vacuum to the towed vehicles brake vacuum booster. When the unit is activated, the unit depresses the brake through a cable and pulley arrangement. The beauty of this system is that if the towed vehicle somehow breaks away the Invisibrake will stop the towed vehicle.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:23 AM   #55

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #28483
Bumper-mount tow bar?

We aren't exactly newbies, since we've owned a Class C and towed a JK Wrangler in the past, using an old Roadmaster Stowmaster bar that stores folded up on the front bumper when disconnected from the MH.

Fast forward 2 decades: now we have a '23 Chateau 22E and a 2020 Wrangler Sahara JLU. Do we dare use a bumper-stowed tow bar, considering all the sensors that are on the front of ANY vehicle nowadays? (I'm hoping to get something infinitely LIGHTER in weight than the Stowmaster - we aren't exactly Spring Chickens anymore)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:19 PM   #56

THOR #28145
Motorhome mounted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNellie View Post
We aren't exactly newbies, since we've owned a Class C and towed a JK Wrangler in the past, using an old Roadmaster Stowmaster bar that stores folded up on the front bumper when disconnected from the MH.

Fast forward 2 decades: now we have a '23 Chateau 22E and a 2020 Wrangler Sahara JLU. Do we dare use a bumper-stowed tow bar, considering all the sensors that are on the front of ANY vehicle nowadays? (I'm hoping to get something infinitely LIGHTER in weight than the Stowmaster - we aren't exactly Spring Chickens anymore)
Get a motorhome mounted towbar. I tow a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon I ended up with the Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar, but you could go with the Sterling or the Falcon2. The biggest advantge of a motorhome mounted towbar is that the brackets on the toad can be removed and stored when not towing. The brackets for the Gladiator weight only a few lb. each and very simple to remove and install.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:40 AM   #57

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #28483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Get a motorhome mounted towbar. I tow a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon I ended up with the Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar, but you could go with the Sterling or the Falcon2. The biggest advantge of a motorhome mounted towbar is that the brackets on the toad can be removed and stored when not towing. The brackets for the Gladiator weight only a few lb. each and very simple to remove and install.
Thanks, Dan - since my post, we've found that there are several used Sterling tow bars for sale within an hours' drive of us and we're leaning towards that lighter weight. Granted, the motorhome doesn't care, but we still have to lift it into the hitch receiver ;-)
Old 11-21-2022, 01:48 AM   #58
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNellie View Post
Thanks, Dan - since my post, we've found that there are several used Sterling tow bars for sale within an hours' drive of us and we're leaning towards that lighter weight. Granted, the motorhome doesn't care, but we still have to lift it into the hitch receiver ;-)
I’ve been towing a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Sterling towbar for about 4 years with no issue. Towbar remains in the hitch with receiver locks so nothing to lift. I couldn’t justify the extra cost for the no value added “looks pretty” lights on the Nighthawk. We rarely travel after dark.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:25 AM   #59

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I, too, use a Sterling. For several years with out Durango, now with our Wrangler JKUR. Have no reason to think about anything else.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #60

Model: Miramar 34.4
THOR #4488
I use the Demco Dominator to tow my 2015 Wrangler 2 Door. My reason for that purchase is it only weighs 42 pounds. I believe it's the lightest on the market. Each arm moves independently and stays where you put it making an easy hook up. Release lever also makes disconnecting a breeze even if you're stopped at an angle putting pressure on the arms. It stays mounted to the RV.

I know I sound like a salesman but after fighting with a previous tow bar, I love this one.