Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I use the Demco Dominator to tow my 2015 Wrangler 2 Door. My reason for that purchase is it only weighs 42 pounds. I believe it's the lightest on the market. Each arm moves independently and stays where you put it making an easy hook up. Release lever also makes disconnecting a breeze even if you're stopped at an angle putting pressure on the arms. It stays mounted to the RV.

I know I sound like a salesman but after fighting with a previous tow bar, I love this one.
I have used the Blue Ox equipment, base plates and tow bar. I chose the 10K Avail to give me the flexibility to tow heavier vehicles than my previous 2012 Wrangler. Next occasional toad will be a Ram 2500. I wanted the strength of steel rather than aluminum. Tow bar generally stays on the coach so I don't lug it around very often but yes it's heavy.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #62

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I use the Demco Dominator to tow my 2015 Wrangler 2 Door. My reason for that purchase is it only weighs 42 pounds. I believe it's the lightest on the market. Each arm moves independently and stays where you put it making an easy hook up. Release lever also makes disconnecting a breeze even if you're stopped at an angle putting pressure on the arms. It stays mounted to the RV.

I know I sound like a salesman but after fighting with a previous tow bar, I love this one.
Everything thing you just said also applies to the Roadmaster Nighthawk, Sterling, and Falcon tow bars with the exception that both the Nighthawk and sterling towbars each weigh 35 lb. Also, it does help if the towed is on the high side. When the toad is on the low side the easy release does not help much where the tow bar is in tension. You need something like a come along or a ratchet strap to take the tension pressure off the tow bar. Just be sure set the parking brake before attempting disconnect.

I agree with those that say the lights on the nighthawk are an unnecessary extravagance. When I got the Nighthawk, I did not have much of a choice. At the time both the Sterling and Falcon towbars were on backorder with 6 - 8-week minimum availability.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #63
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Everything thing you just said also applies to the Roadmaster Nighthawk, Sterling, and Falcon tow bars with the exception that both the Nighthawk and sterling towbars each weigh 35 lb. Also, it does help if the towed is on the high side. When the toad is on the low side the easy release does not help much where the tow bar is in tension. You need something like a come along or a ratchet strap to take the tension pressure off the tow bar. Just be sure set the parking brake before attempting disconnect.

I agree with those that say the lights on the nighthawk are an unnecessary extravagance. When I got the Nighthawk, I did not have much of a choice. At the time both the Sterling and Falcon towbars were on backorder with 6 - 8-week minimum availability.
And that’s why I use the sterling’s cross bar base plate. Doesn’t matter how the toad is sitting. It the bar binds I pull the two crossbar pins and with one hand lift the crossbar off with the towbar attached.

Here’s my setup hooked up for today’s travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DCCD9AD-7965-4C57-A4A4-FA493CB5CDBC.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	40210   Click image for larger version

Name:	E9190891-2F37-448D-96DC-FA520B00FE4E.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	40211  

Old 11-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #64

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Cross bar base plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And that’s why I use the sterling’s cross bar base plate. Doesn’t matter how the toad is sitting. It the bar binds I pull the two crossbar pins and with one hand lift the crossbar off with the towbar attached.

I used to have a 1995 Grand Cherokee with the crossbar base plate and a Roadmaster Eagle 5000 towbar. I would have kept that towbar except for the fact that it is only rated at 5000# and the new Gladiator weighs 5200# with full tank of gas and nothing else and can carry another 1100# cargo so, I had to upgrade the towbar. With the crossbar baseplate, I did pull up one side to relive binding, but I was very uncomfortable using that procedure so, I never pulled both pins holding the crossbar. I regard the risk of having the vehicle roll to be too great on a vehicle with a barely functional parking brake. Also, in my opinion the crossbar base allows too much slop because of all the connections.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:48 PM   #65
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I used to have a 1995 Grand Cherokee with the crossbar base plate and a Roadmaster Eagle 5000 towbar. I would have kept that towbar except for the fact that it is only rated at 5000# and the new Gladiator weighs 5200# with full tank of gas and nothing else and can carry another 1100# cargo so, I had to upgrade the towbar. With the crossbar baseplate, I did pull up one side to relive binding, but I was very uncomfortable using that procedure so, I never pulled both pins holding the crossbar. I regard the risk of having the vehicle roll to be too great on a vehicle with a barely functional parking brake. Also, in my opinion the crossbar base allows too much slop because of all the connections.
Before I corrected the problem there was more slop in the high low adapter to receiver and the towbar to high low. There is next to no slop in the crossbar base plate. Also, since my vehicle are well maintained I know my parking brake works and holds the vehicle without any roll.

Like you said, it is your opinion.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:02 AM   #66

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

U learn something new every day. I like that idea of pulling the pins off the crossbar if the tow bar is in a bind.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:42 AM   #67

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I use the Blue Ox... if the bar binds, 90% of the time simply turning the toad's wheels opposite relieves the bind. Only issue I've ever had was on VERY unlevel ground.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:32 AM   #68

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I use the Blue Ox... if the bar binds, 90% of the time simply turning the toad's wheels opposite relieves the bind. Only issue I've ever had was on VERY unlevel ground.
That also works with my Sterling.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #69

State: Florida
THOR #28637
I just purchased a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport to tow behind our new Thor Quantum KW29.
I will be adding a Rock Hard front bumper which is designed to replace the old front bumper and the need for a separate base plate. I have towed a wrangle in the past and they are the perfect towed vehicle for a number of reasons.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:09 AM   #70

Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
Lots of good info here. I just picked up a 2012 Wrangler JKR to tow behind my class C. My current plan for ease of setup and use, is to go with the Ready Brute Elite II with the built in surge brake coupled with the Clevis attachments to hook up to the D-ring mounts on my Fab Four bumper.