Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 03:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Washington
THOR #21575
Jeep Wrangler Sport towing

Anyone have feedback on Jeep Wrangler Sports with a 2.0L I-4 cyl Turbo engine? Looking to get a 2018 model. Hoping to eventually tow it behind our Hurricane 29M. Jeep is automatic transmission. TIA!

Old 10-31-2021, 03:44 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borismkogan View Post
Anyone have feedback on Jeep Wrangler Sports with a 2.0L I-4 cyl Turbo engine? Looking to get a 2018 model. Hoping to eventually tow it behind our Hurricane 29M. Jeep is automatic transmission. TIA!
I flat tow a 2001 TJ. It's a 5 speed manual with the 4.0 liter 6. It tows like a charm, although it isn't the most comfortable excursion vehicle.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think ALL Wrangler models are towable. BUT... look up the owners manual online specific to that year and model, and read about flat (4 down) towing. DO NOT TRUST anything but what is in the owners manual! There is a lot of "assuming" when it comes to this subject.

I believe the Wrangler is still the most popular toad.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL w/ the 3.6L. I chose the 4-door for additional storage plus I felt it handled a little better than the 2-door having a longer wheelbase.

We just got back from a 2-month / 7200 mile trip out west. We put over 3400 miles on the Wrangler sightseeing. It is a great vehicle to tow and for doing a lot of the sightseeing we do.

I installed the Roadmaster Direct Connect Base Plate and use the NightHawk Tow Bar. I think that is the perfect combination for the Wrangler JL. I also use the RVi3 Brake Unit.

Overall I am very happy with the setup.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #4

THOR #16721
Here was my cost (last year) for flat tow setup
I did complete install myself:

Tow Bar
Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha 6,500lb
Includes safety cables
$650 on Amazon
Bought privately new in box $300

Vehicle Base Plate
Blue Ox BX1120 Baseplate
Etrailer.com - free shipping
$410.60

Auxiliary Braking System
Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake Hidden Power Braking System
Includes breakaway cable
Amazon $840

Light Wiring
Roadmaster 15267 All-In-One light wiring kit
Coiled power cord
Wire
4 diodes
Amazon $130.44

Light Socket for Towed Vehicle
Blue Ox light socket BX294-0902
Compatible with Blue Ox Baseplate mounting
Etrailer.com $12.95

Brake Light Relay
Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit
Amazon $33.06

Total: $1806.04 (including tax)
Old 11-01-2021, 04:29 AM   #5

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Jeep Wrangler Sport towing

I went a slightly different route for towing my ‘19 JLU Rubicon 2.0L w/auto trans behind our Miramar.

1) LOD (lodoffroad.com) full-size signature bumper with frame tie-in brackets, blue ox adapters. Not required, but mine also has the bull bar, skid plate and I found a third party flip up license plate adapter because they didn’t offer it at the time. I think it was around $1000 with all the options. This bumper is intentionally designed with towing in mind, which is why I chose it. It turned out to be a pretty easy install, too.

2) Blue ox Ascent (rated for 7500lbs, so plenty of spare capacity). I paid $850 at the time. Adapters from #1 bolt right onto it. No drop or rise adapter was necessary for this setup/combination.

3) Blue Ox Patriot that a friend was no longer using. $250. Discovered I had to replace the internal battery since it was dead and long since out of warranty, $40 or so from Batteries Plus. Breakaway is bolted under the flip-up license plate adapter and was run along with the harness (below) and the extra cord lives coiled above the passenger footwell when not in use. For power, I have a long 12v extension which connects the Patriot to the 12v socket in the rear cargo area, which we found is always on.

4) Official Mopar “RV towing harness” (IIRC, it was p/n: 82216358AA). Much more expensive than after-market options, but I figured I was saving money by installing myself, so I’d go for the official version. I think I (over)paid at $300.I use a ball bungee to attach the loop to the bull bar since it’s designed for the tow hooks on the factory bumper and there isn’t anything like it on this bumper. Running the harness itself was a bit of a bear in a few places, but everything was pre-sized perfectly and plug-n-play.

5) 4-pack of TST 507 TPMS sensors to add to the system I already had. $200.

The prices were fall 2019 prices.

Future improvement:
I’d like to add a charger, so was thinking of adding RV iBrake’s towed battery charger. That said, we’ve done a couple of full-day driving trips (9-10 hrs) with this setup and haven’t run the Jeep’s battery down in any meaningful way. I think my Jeep has an upgraded battery option installed. So, not overly worried about it right now.

We’ve used this combo for two seasons and about 10K miles now. It works very well for us.

I also made a mounting board with some bike fork mounts that connects to the cargo tie-downs, so we can put the rear seats down and put the bikes inside the back of the Jeep, keeping them safe, clean and dry when underway. Might not work for a 2-door due to the shorter length.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
As you might read between the lines:
They don't handle too well.
They aren't too comfortable.
A bit cultish, some people wouldn't have one if they were free, some people wouldnt be without one.
I'm going to suggest a weekend rental and a long test drive to see which folk you are.

Anyone with a bad hip or mobility problem will probably want to think three times before buying one.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
As you might read between the lines:
They don't handle too well.
They aren't too comfortable.
A bit cultish, some people wouldn't have one if they were free, some people wouldnt be without one.
I'm going to suggest a weekend rental and a long test drive to see which folk you are.

Anyone with a bad hip or mobility problem will probably want to think three times before buying one.
Well stated.

Test drove a 2019 Wrangler and would no longer consider owning one. At 5’11” with the seat adjusted properly for driving the seat was too high and I couldn’t see the top of the instrument panel. I wasn’t satisfied with the lack of options or with the way it drove. Since we were going from a 2 vehicle family down to 1 vehicle the Wrangler was out. We went with a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk instead.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #8

THOR #16721
My Wrangler is 21 years old, but 95th percentile in condition... and "only" 61k miles. Most in our age group wouldn't even consider a TJ (1997-2006), even if you could FIND one with low miles and respectable condition. They are "old school" technology and are designed more for "function", with comfort as an afterthought. I was in my 40s when I bought it, so we have some history together. Both the wife & I are tall, and we really like how easy getting in and of our Wrangler is - not like a lot of smaller cars that sit low to the ground - it sits higher than usual due to 4wd.

Pros:
No doubt probably the easiest vehicle to configure for flat towing
No worries about getting stuck somewhere
Engines (at least mine) are bulletproof
Reliability - at least the older ones are
Parts are generally cheap and readily available
Easy to work on (for the backyard mechanic)
With soft top, it's a quick and fun convertible
Easy to get into - it's not a modified go-cart like some toads
Killer heater and A/C - even mine after 21 years!!

Cons:
They are now EXPENSIVE!
Newer ones aren't as reliable
Gas mileage (but hey, you're already in a MH!)
Handling... it's NOT a sports car
Acceleration... it's NOT a sports car
Twitchy handling

There are ENDLESS and easy to find blogs on Wrangler pros and cons. The good thing is if you do your homework, you'll find everything you need to know about what to look for in a used Wrangler, and fair prices.

There is a LOT of overpriced high-mileage JUNK out there! Many have been driven HARD and not maintained - things that will haunt you. Older ones were plagued with rusted frames to the point of dangerous. If you buy from a dealer, you are GUARANTEED to overpay what it is actually worth. If you buy from an individual, it's truly a crapshoot.

My suggestion if you're convinced you really want a Wrangler, find a "Jeep guy" to take with you when you look at used ones.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I towed a short 2012 Wrangler Sahara for several years and as a toad it met our wants and needs well. We used it for trail driving in AK, WA OR, UT and a few other places. It wasn't a daily driver nor did I have any desire to drive it on any long trips. Mine was stock height and suspension and had a running board helping us short people get in. It's incredibly easy to connect for its toad duties and I regularly connected it by myself. Sold it when I sold the previous motorhome. I'm down to just 1 4 wheel vehicle, not counting the Omni, and my daily driver is the 2020 Ram 1500 which I also set up as my toad. If pricing wasn't just stupid crazy for them I'd consider a used Wrangler as a second toad, but for the time being the Ram works for us. Unfortunately I won't attempt to take it places we took the Jeep so that cuts some of our fun time. If all you are going to use the toad for is "strip mall adventures" don't get a Jeep.

EDIT; I used Blue Ox Avail, BO base plate, Hopkins brake wiring, M&G brakes.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's a Jeep thing...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1635775974
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll Me Over.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	34527  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
There are a ton of Wranglers out there being towed across the USA. They are easy to set up for towing and once behind just about any MH they tow with ease. We briefly considered a Wrangler but our toad is my wife's daily driver and for someone 4'11" with two knee replacements climbing in and out of a Wrangler even with running boards is a challenge. As we live in the snow belt region of the great lakes a 4wd or all wheel drive vehicle for us has distinct advantages and Jeep products have fit that bill for us. For the last 20 years a Jeep product has been in our garage. Before we moved from a smaller C to a class A we knew we were going to tow 4 down and the 5000 lb plus Commander with the Hemi we currently owned would have been pushing the limits of a gasser MH's capability.
We opted for a Cherokee Trailhawk. It has enough off road capability to tackle the Forest Service roads we like to drive, at 4300 lbs is well within the weight limits of most MH hitches and is easy to hook up and tow behind our ACE. The Cherokee was towed flawlessly for over 5000 miles this summer.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:06 AM   #12

Model: ACE - 29
State: Arkansas
THOR #6797
Jeep Wrangler

I have owned 5 wranglers and 2 Grand Cherokees. I have always been a fan. I do agree the ride is not the same as a full size car nor do they have all the bells and whistles for the price. My 2 favorites I gave a Wrangler to my son when it hit 150,000 miles and a Cherokee to my father in law at 280,000. Both were in great shape. Most recently I had a 2017 that got broadsided by a Challenger at 70 mph. While it totaled the Jeep and destroyed the Challenger, my wife and I walked away with no injuries. We then bought a 2021 Wrangler. We have towed many miles and you really don’t know they’re there. Easy to hook up and easy to tow. They also hold their value regardless of mileage.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #13816
We have just started towing a 2021 Wrangler. It is very easy to hook up and to disconnect. The ride is a bit bumpy, but it serves our tow needs very well. We don't drive it on a daily basis.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #14

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Agree with everyone above that's its easy to hook up, I hook up by myself to roadmaster base plate and ready brute elite tow system.

We have a 2016 wrangler 4 door. It's wife's daily driver. The only time I get to drive it is when we are on trips. My wife is 5' I'm 6'4" and we bother love driving it. I think you either love them or hate them

As Bob said. "It's a jeep thing" we love them. I'd like it find an older, soft top, removable doors just to drive a round town. Fun car to have

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I tow a 2 dr 2014 Rubicon. Some of the people I camp with also tow Jeeps, so we go wheeling on back dirt roads often, and I prospect for gold so it has been handy for that. I do not drive it fast on highway, but has been to Florida and back towing so seen its share of urban use. I find it easier to get in and out of then my daily driver, an A3 Audi. I only drive the jeep when towed somewhere, I rarely use it at home. The places I have been able to go in my travels has been outstanding!

I use Blue ox and Patriot brake
Old 11-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I tow a 2008 Jeep 4dr Rubicon. It has 140k on it and I'd take it anywhere. It doesn't ride as smooth as my F150 but not that bad overall. Easy to setup for towing and tows great. I use Blue Ox tow gear and the RVi3 brake system. Zero issues with either product.

I don't think of myself as a jeep cult person, it's just a great overall vehicle to explore with and still be decent around town. From the beaches of the Outer Banks to the trails in the Smoky Mountains and Rockys it just does a great job.

At 6'3" and 245 pounds I don't fit in some of the smaller cars bit I do see the appeal.

Find something towable you like and go use it. I did paint the hood black and add hood decal and an angry grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_172503.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	34724Click image for larger version

Name:	20200712_133122.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	34725
Attachment 34726
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #17

THOR #16721
I'm 6'1" and legroom is somewhat cramped... I can tilt the seat back enough to get comfortable. I wouldn't drive long distances in it though... that's not what it's for.

I would compare the legroom to our Ford E-350 class C before I modded the driver's seat position. But on the class C I couldn't even tilt the seat back. It was like riding a tricycle!
Old 11-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #18

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL w/ the 3.6L. I chose the 4-door for additional storage plus I felt it handled a little better than the 2-door having a longer wheelbase.

We just got back from a 2-month / 7200 mile trip out west. We put over 3400 miles on the Wrangler sightseeing. It is a great vehicle to tow and for doing a lot of the sightseeing we do.

I installed the Roadmaster Direct Connect Base Plate and use the NightHawk Tow Bar. I think that is the perfect combination for the Wrangler JL. I also use the RVi3 Brake Unit.

Overall I am very happy with the setup.
We also purchased the RVi3 brake unit but have experienced some quirks with the Command Center. It establishes communication with the brake unit but frequently loses communication. We called the company and they said that in areas of competing WIFI signals, using band 1 its not uncommon for this malfunction to happen. With some research, we found that the Firefly is using a wifi signal but after communicating with those folks, they wont reveal the band they use. They say its proprietary info.
Have you experienced problems?
The Brake folks say not to worry as the brake works without needing the Command Center, but we also purchased their tire monitor add ons and they become useless once the CC drops it link. Overall so far, we are not impressed.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:57 AM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
Purchasing a ‘21 wrangler sport s / 6 cylinder 3.6L / sky one and slated to have it lifted 4” and with 37” tires. Before we do the lift, Will there be issues / effect the towing ? I know the rubicons come standard lifted 2.5”?
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #20

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
Purchasing a ‘21 wrangler sport s / 6 cylinder 3.6L / sky one and slated to have it lifted 4” and with 37” tires. Before we do the lift, Will there be issues / effect the towing ? I know the rubicons come standard lifted 2.5”?
You might feel a bit more tail wag, but as long as things are in good alignment should not be a problem.
Is this jeep meant only as a show car, or do you plan to use it for transportation and play? My Rubicon X sits on 35's and is a bit sluggish as an around town driver but is more than acceptable on the trail. Rule of thumb for the dana 44's front and rear on the Rubicon is no bigger than 35's without regearing and an axle swap to something more stout. Unless you have something custom in that sport, you only have a dana 30 in the front and starting out with a lower gear ratio. IMO, this would be totally unacceptable on the road, and subject to breaking axles on the trail. You might benefit from discussing your goals with a jeep customizer.