Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2023, 08:11 PM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #29458
Just got my car for flat towing

Have a Class C Thor WS31 2023 and made one trip with two wheel dolly but at my age the dolly is just too much, so I have found and purchase a 2019 Fiat 500 with standard shift with only 60K miles. I am very happy with this vehicle, weighs in at about 2400 pounds. Getting base plate and hitch installed in a week, then off on out yearly trip out west stopping at Custer SD for Bike week for two weeks. Installer says that I can forgo the brake system due to the light weight of the Fiat, opinions??

Old 06-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I will never flat tow without any supplemental brake, emergency brake and towing lights. Just imagine if your towed vehicle accidentally get disconnected while on the road. That will be a very big projectile that can hit another vehicle and cause bodily injury or even death. Im sure a lot of people will chime in shortly.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efotnamvet View Post
Have a Class C Thor WS31 2023 and made one trip with two wheel dolly but at my age the dolly is just too much, so I have found and purchase a 2019 Fiat 500 with standard shift with only 60K miles. I am very happy with this vehicle, weighs in at about 2400 pounds. Getting base plate and hitch installed in a week, then off on out yearly trip out west stopping at Custer SD for Bike week for two weeks. Installer says that I can forgo the brake system due to the light weight of the Fiat, opinions??
What’s your state law say. That’s what matters.

BTW, IMHO your dealer suffers from the ID ten T error.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:05 PM   #4

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

LOL - My IT guys used that all the time when I ask them what the issue was... Just and ID10T Tom...

or they say "was due to a bad connection between the user and the keyboard"
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:12 PM   #5

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
Quote:
I have heard that trailers under 1,500lbs total weight are not required to have brakes but never heard of a vehicle being excused from brakes.

As EA37TS says, towed vehicles are regulated by State law. You might be ok in some states but then again as ador says - If that Fiat disconnects and passes you, you're liable... Better to be safe than sorry.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:29 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I think he ( your RV guy) is correct, but I believe Florida requires a breakaway brake system even if you are under the weight limit for an auxiliary brake.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:32 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Quote:

Doesn't matter what his state says: what matters is the law of the state he is towing through.

Here's a fresh anecdotal story:

Today I was driving my 18K F53 chassis MH at 65 mph on I-85 north of Raleigh, NC in a slight drizzle, towing a 3000# toad in the RH lane of a two lane roadway. Suddenly the people in front of me went into panic stop mode for no apparent reason. No room to the left but the shoulder was open as I hit the brakes hard enough to engage the chassis ABS. Luckily, and due to my TOAD brakes, I was able to stop in time in my lane.
The cause of this incident? Some idiot in a sedan doing 15 mph in the RH lane. No idea why he was doing this nor why he wasn't traveling the shoulder.
When I was able I went around him in the LH lane. Maybe he made it to the next exit without being rear-ended.

So you never know when you need that extra braking power in the TOAD.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:28 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
Doesn't matter what his state says: what matters is the law of the state he is towing through.

Here's a fresh anecdotal story:

Today I was driving my 18K F53 chassis MH at 65 mph on I-85 north of Raleigh, NC in a slight drizzle, towing a 3000# toad in the RH lane of a two lane roadway. Suddenly the people in front of me went into panic stop mode for no apparent reason. No room to the left but the shoulder was open as I hit the brakes hard enough to engage the chassis ABS. Luckily, and due to my TOAD brakes, I was able to stop in time in my lane.
The cause of this incident? Some idiot in a sedan doing 15 mph in the RH lane. No idea why he was doing this nor why he wasn't traveling the shoulder.
When I was able I went around him in the LH lane. Maybe he made it to the next exit without being rear-ended.

So you never know when you need that extra braking power in the TOAD.
Wrong. It’s asked in the state of registration and their trailer braking laws. Same with license requirements for drivers of heavy RVs
Old 06-08-2023, 12:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Wrong. It’s asked in the state of registration and their trailer braking laws. Same with license requirements for drivers of heavy RVs
Nope, Geterdun is correct. There is reciprocity in license requirements, there is no reciprocity in equipment requirements.

No clue what you mean by "it is asked".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
It's Not Only Where You Live, It's Also Where You are Going.

Trailer Brake Laws

https://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:59 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's Not Only Where You Live, It's Also Where You are Going.

Trailer Brake Laws

https://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws.html
Yep... just like firearm laws/restrictions. That's why we have states... and communities. EACH decides what's best for the residents therein.

I can drive my car without an entire exhaust system in Ohio, but cross the river into WV... likely ticket city.

You come slogging through town tailgating (like in the anecdotal story) and you just might wind up with two citations... most obvious is assured clear distance, followed by illegal equipment... or lack thereof... with no auxiliary brakes on the toad. Yikes!
Old 06-08-2023, 04:42 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Even if towing a 2400 lb car without an aux brake system is legal why would you want to? That's over a ton of weight pushing your E450 chassis down a mountain road. That's a surefire recipe for overheated brakes.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:48 AM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
U-Haul rents trailers over 2,400-pounds without brakes. Not sure of legal implications.

I’ve towed fully loaded single-axle U-Haul close to 2,700 pounds with vehicles weighing as little as 3,500 pounds. No doubt it extends braking distance, but would do it again if I needed.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:03 AM   #14

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Most folks never need safety devices like smoke detectors, supplemental braking systems, gun safes, etc. Sure you can save money by not using them but how are you going to feel if you forgo them and have a fire, are involved in a vehicle crash, or a minor gains access to a firearm, and the result is the loss of a love one. Sure you were legal, but will that make you feel better.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:36 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
U-Haul rents trailers over 2,400-pounds without brakes. Not sure of legal implications.

I’ve towed fully loaded single-axle U-Haul close to 2,700 pounds with vehicles weighing as little as 3,500 pounds. No doubt it extends braking distance, but would do it again if I needed.
UHaul’s 6x trailers, car transporters and tow follies all have surge brakes. Their small utility trailers have no braking. This is per UHaul’s site.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Interesting observation regarding towing on I70

Car buyers from Mexico purchasing two or three vehicles weekly tow them as doubles

One vehicle with 2 in tow

Across I70 to 83 and on South to Mexico

They do have magnetic tow lights

Going on for many years
Old 06-08-2023, 02:29 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Most folks never need safety devices like smoke detectors, supplemental braking systems, gun safes, etc. Sure you can save money by not using them but how are you going to feel if you forgo them and have a fire, are involved in a vehicle crash, or a minor gains access to a firearm, and the result is the loss of a love one. Sure you were legal, but will that make you feel better.
Excellent points and at heart of the issue.

I don’t view safety as black and white, but rather shades of grey that force us to rely on our personal judgment on where to draw the line on what is “safe enough”, and what is not.

There is no absolute safety, so no matter what we do, we could have done more if viewed after something goes wrong. But does that justify spending all our time, money, and resources creating a safety shield where almost nothing bad can happen? I suppose some people are naturally wired to take more risks, and others live in greater fear of things that may go wrong. I’m not criticizing or taking sides at either extreme, just feel there has to be a middle ground.

For example, the things you mentioned above are absolutely correct, but I would bet that my chances of dying in a house fire without a smoke alarm is much less than getting killed while riding my bike with cars passing by at 70 MPH. Maybe not? I do have smoke detectors, and a gun safe, but also ride my bike in traffic, climb on roof, hike where there are bears, occasionally eat eggs, bacon, and sausage, etc. Have never smoked, that’s definitely too dangerous.

Sometimes it’s tough to decide what is safe enough, but hope that even when things go wrong, that I will accept it as part of living and not be consumed with regret.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:17 PM   #18

Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

But not over 3000 lbs GVWR without brakes. They use the common 3000 lb dividing line and your tow vehicle must be heavier than the trailer.

I don't know, but for those states with lower than 3000 lb limits they may not rent the smaller, no-brake trailers; or they may not care as they aren't the ones getting the ticket.

But then, who has ever got a ticket for a trailer with no brakes, especially in theboat trailer world.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM   #19

THOR #13228
Quote:
No one wants their towed or toad to become a missile. With proper safety checks and safety chains/cables, I have towed boats and tent trailers under 3k, all with no brakes, for 30+ years with no issue. We have a 2300 lb Geo Tracker toad, pulled from 1k elevation to 8k elevation and down regularly in AZ. The MH travel weight plus toad weight roughly equal our E450 weight class of 14,500 lbs. Knowing this I feel the MH braking system is appropriate for the load and has not been an issue in our city and mountain travels. Your WS31 maybe closer to the 14,500 lbs than our 24F. Hope you enjoy your Fiat as much as we have fun with our toad.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:36 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You can tow with or without brakes, but why would you go without a supplemental braking system? I flat tow our car and have a supplemental braking system to assist in stopping. I would not trust the installer about this issue since he is not the one doing the towing. If you should get involved in an accident, don't you think your auto insurance carrier might have a say so as to if you are covered or not based on having or not having a supplemental braking systems installed and working at the time of the accident?

Paul