Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger LX
State: Texas
THOR #6185
Lifted modified Wrangler as a toad?

I am getting ready to go full time for a year or two starting in August when I retire from the Marine Corps. I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a four inch Mopar lift and aftermarket bumpers that I would like to use as my toad behind a motorhome. All the forums I read talk about a baseplate, but my bumper already has D ring lugs that I would like to use. Does anyone have a lifted JK that they tow using the D ring lugs to mount a tow bar? What all do I need to get, and does the lift affect towing any?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are D ring adapters that will hook to a Reese towbar, don't remember the website but sure you can google it. Check out etrailers, they have a bunch of stuff just for towing. CoolTechLLC makes the best and easiest wiring harness for hooking up lights. You will also need a braking system, it's a law in most states. The braking system comes in lots of different flavors, some require drilling, other plug in to jeep and run off the battery, you're just going to have to look at what you want to spend. When towing the steering column has to be unlocked, have a spare key made without the chip, it will unlock column but won't let anyone start your jeep.

The jeep I towed was lifted 2", didn't affect towing at all, yours shouldn't either. You will need to have a hitch ball that is either level with your tow bar or a little lower. On my jeep I had to use a 3 1/2" drop bar turned which gave 3 1/2" lift to align the bar properly.

Hope this helps a little.
Semper Fi
Old 12-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

Model: WINDSPORT
THOR #4417
Mopar has a wiring harness that allows you to plug it in like your Wrangler was a trailer using power for lights from motorhome. Eliminates having to drill into rear lights on jeep for electrical connection. Also then you don't have to leave key in and worry about battery drain on jeep.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

THOR #5196
UDF, there are a couple of companies that make a wiring harness for jeep, CoolTech is the only one I have experience with and I know there's works good, had one. With respect to the key, the steering column has to be unlocked while towing to allow the toad to turn with the MH, otherwise when you turn the toad will still be trying to go straight and you would be dragging the front wheels sideways.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

THOR #6185
Thanks UDFDH and Super D! That wiring harness sounds like something I would like if it's just plug and play, but does it also operate a break controller? I will definitely check out that website for those D ring adapters. Also Wranglers 2010-present don't have steering wheel locks, so I'm good on that part.

Super D I noticed you're in Texas, did you buy your RV from MHSRV? My last duty station is in Hawaii, so it makes it hard to look at RV's. I am a Texas resident and from what I can see online they seem to be a great dealer, but you can't believe everything you see online.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

THOR #4417
Super D,
Just to clarify cuz i did not put it in my response. We have 2016 Jeep Wrangler and we put it in neutral on shift and steering wheel is unlocked. Made trip from Texas to Montana with it in tow with no issues. We were given the instruction from Jeep dealer when we bought it. As you say in reference to wiring harness and what you are familiar with. When we purchased we opted for the one our dealer used made by Mopar to get it taken care of at the same time as some other after market we wanted. Sorry for the confusion on my response. Happy Travels
Old 12-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

THOR #4417
Huck,
We love the plug in just like trailer would plug and go. We use the Patriot brake system as it was recommended by family member who is full time in rv. No issues with it.
Happy Travels and I and my family thank you for your service sir
Old 12-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

THOR #5196
Huck, I live in Desoto, just south of Dallas, and we did buy or MH at MHSRV. Would I buy another one from them, absolutely!!! Super nice people, HUGE selection, they are the biggest dealer in the world with 160 acres. Dino who is also on this forum bought his MH from MSHRV also, far as I know he was pretty happy with them too!

UDFDH, my sincere apologies, I was not aware of jeep not having a steering lock on later models. I towed a 2007 which had a column look which is why I stressed needing to have it unlocked, I also had to have a battery disconnect to prevent drain. In 2007 Mopar did not have a harness, CoolTech was the only one. I did see an inexperienced couple pulling an S 10 Blazer once with the column locked, he complained about a funny squeeling noise when making sharp turns.

Hope you both have a VERY Happy and safe New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I use the Mopar wiring harness on my 2010 Wrangler.. Routing the wire from grill through the firewall - and plugs into a main connector under the dash on passengers side (separate existing connection - and it plugs into middle).
That also brought the power line from the RV trailer harness into the cabin - which I used to hook up to Invisibrake - permanent mount braking system.
Makes the towing 'plug and play' - nothing to adjust and set up. Connect towbar, safety cables, wiring harness and break away cable from MH to front grill of Jeep.

Tow with key out (no steering lock on 2010), battery disconnected (except from Invisibrake which charges the Jeep battery from MH and would use Jeep power source in a 'break away' condition) and Transfer Case in Neutral / Transmission in Park.

With standard suspension - flat even tow bar to motor home... With 4" lift kit, you may well need a 'step up' from MH receiver to keep the towbar level.

The Wrangler has made a great flat tow...

Happy New Year!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #10

THOR #4417
Super D no problems. We are all learning and I enjoy being able to find answers to problems and help where I can.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #11

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDFDH View Post
Super D no problems. We are all learning and I enjoy being able to find answers to problems and help where I can.
Amen, and thank you!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:56 AM   #12

THOR #6185
Thank you all for all the great information! My jeep is the only thing I know for certain about my upcoming journey, so I'll go ahead and get it all setup. Now I just have to get back to the mainland so I can figure out which Thor I'm going to buy! If it were up to me I would get a Super C with the F-550 chassis, but the wife wants a Class A
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #13

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Huck, welcome to the forum. I'm a little late to this discussion but here goes. I'm a retired Marine and tow a 2 1/2" lifted 2007 Rubicon on 35"s.

I connect directly to d-rings, which are bolted through the front bumper and into the frame. I had to replace my d-ring mount so the mount was compatible with both my tow bar and my desire to still use d-rings when I wheel. Did not want to add a baseplate underneath as that took away from the approach angle when wheeling.

I agree with those that recommend the Cool Tech wiring harness. Easy to install and have had no issues.

What kind of front bumper do you have? Or plan on getting? There are a couple of after market bumpers that are designed for towing.

Don't know what kind of tow bar or braking system you have but here is a good discussion on the Ready Brake system: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...help-5117.html

Edit: We started looking at Class Cs at first and ended up with our current RV as our "Entry Level". I blame it on my wife. LOL Good luck.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
Huck, welcome to the forum. I'm a little late to this discussion but here goes. I'm a retired Marine and tow a 2 1/2" lifted 2007 Rubicon on 35"s.

I connect directly to d-rings, which are bolted through the front bumper and into the frame. I had to replace my d-ring mount so the mount was compatible with both my tow bar and my desire to still use d-rings when I wheel. Did not want to add a baseplate underneath as that took away from the approach angle when wheeling.

I agree with those that recommend the Cool Tech wiring harness. Easy to install and have had no issues.

What kind of front bumper do you have? Or plan on getting? There are a couple of after market bumpers that are designed for towing.

Don't know what kind of tow bar or braking system you have but here is a good discussion on the Ready Brake system: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...help-5117.html

Edit: We started looking at Class Cs at first and ended up with our current RV as our "Entry Level". I blame it on my wife. LOL Good luck.
Thanks Greg! I have a Hanson Off-road stubby front bumper. So far I haven't gotten anything RV related yet since I'm still in Hawaii until August. I am thinking about getting the wiring harness, brake system, and maybe the tow bar attachments that attach to the D-ring mounts so I can get the jeep all set up. I figure none of that stuff will be too bad to ship to Hawaii, but if it is then I will wait until I get to the mainland. What kind of 35's do you have, and do they wear pretty fast when towing or do they do pretty good? I have a set of stock Rubi tires on my jeep right now because it's too expensive to get tires and wheels out here...plus I'm going to need to re-gear when I get 35's. I will try to attach a picture of my jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	3686  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #15

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Thanks Greg! I have a Hanson Off-road stubby front bumper. So far I haven't gotten anything RV related yet since I'm still in Hawaii until August. I am thinking about getting the wiring harness, brake system, and maybe the tow bar attachments that attach to the D-ring mounts so I can get the jeep all set up. I figure none of that stuff will be too bad to ship to Hawaii, but if it is then I will wait until I get to the mainland. What kind of 35's do you have, and do they wear pretty fast when towing or do they do pretty good? I have a set of stock Rubi tires on my jeep right now because it's too expensive to get tires and wheels out here...plus I'm going to need to re-gear when I get 35's. I will try to attach a picture of my jeep.
I'd recommend you call Hansen and check with them on using the d-rings as attach points. I know some manufactures do not recommend towing with their d-ring points. It all depends on how they are welded up. From my perspective I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have about 40k on my current tires Goodyear MTR/Ks. 30k driving and 10k towing. I have another year or two left in them.

Also you will probably need a hitch receiver so that your tow bar is level when connected to the jeep. You won't know until you get your RV and see what the height differential is between the RV receiver and jeep tow points.

Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions. I did a lot of research when I was setting up my jeep to tow.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #16

THOR #6185
Update! I have finally retired and am now back in Texas. I have ordered the Mopar wiring harness, the invisabrake, and the tow bar with the D ring adapters and am going to start installing them today. The only thing I still need is the hitch adapter to make my tow bar level with the coach. I have pulled up to the back of a Hurricane to measure the height difference and it was about six inches. I figure all the Thors will be about the same. Now my question is what does the adapter look like and where do I get it? I have seen some things at Walmart that look like they're meant to be able to put a bike rack above the hitch and tow a trailer at the same time, but I'm not sure that upper part is designed to tow anything...besides it still isn't tall enough lol! Any help is much appreciated!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have a tow bar with a ball.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
gmc

THOR #2829
Or for receiver type
/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-076.html

They do lower the max tongue weight, but not an issue for flat tow.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #19

THOR #1497
For hitch adapters I'd recommend one from Blue Ox. They come in a variety of sizes up to 10" and are welded to handle 10K lbs. Because my jeep is lifted I had to go with the 10" raise to keep the tow bar level.

https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/catego...xtensions,1369
Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Or for receiver type
/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-076.html

They do lower the max tongue weight, but not an issue for flat tow.
Link didn't come thru right... Had tried doing that from my phone...
Here is the corrected link:
https://www.etrailer.com/accessories...er/RM-076.html
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 jeep wrangler, d ring tow bar, jku, lifted wrangler