Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 02:36 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #18608
I’m back... thanks for the info you have all posted. The term “SUV” may not apply to a Tracker, but what I am looking for is a light weight vehicle that may have 4WD and reasonable clearance for mild back road adventures. Only 2 doors and 2 seats needed. We have a a 24 foot Four Winds and even though the turbo diesel provides nice torque, we do most of our traveling around the mountain West and since the climbs can be severe and lengthy, I want to avoid anything g too heavy.

So does that mean I want no more than a 2500 lb toad? I don't know. Maybe an older 2 door Jeep would work. Right now I’m towing a Honda Pioneer on a flatbed trailer with a total weight of about 2500 lb and it works fine. We’d like the option of a “regular vehicle” to tow but just don’t know about driving around the mountains pulling 4000 lbs. Any input appreciated!

Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #22

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Not an SUV but, a manual trans Mini Cooper (6 speed in my case) weighs in at 2500 lbs and is towable 4 down. Lots of fun to drive once you get there too!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhayden View Post
I’m back... thanks for the info you have all posted. The term “SUV” may not apply to a Tracker, but what I am looking for is a light weight vehicle that may have 4WD and reasonable clearance for mild back road adventures. Only 2 doors and 2 seats needed. We have a a 24 foot Four Winds and even though the turbo diesel provides nice torque, we do most of our traveling around the mountain West and since the climbs can be severe and lengthy, I want to avoid anything g too heavy.

So does that mean I want no more than a 2500 lb toad? I don't know. Maybe an older 2 door Jeep would work. Right now I’m towing a Honda Pioneer on a flatbed trailer with a total weight of about 2500 lb and it works fine. We’d like the option of a “regular vehicle” to tow but just don’t know about driving around the mountains pulling 4000 lbs. Any input appreciated!
Sounds like you're looking for a Chevy/Geo Tracker or Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick but good luck finding one in acceptable condition.

I don't know of any new replacement vehicles in that market: I think Daihatsu makes one and there's the Mahindra Roxor but I don't think it's road legal in the US.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

I tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at about 4000 lbs with my 30 ft class A with no problems. There are a few mountain passes you’ll take in the truck lane that will be less than exhilarating but you’ll get there just fine. These are truck chassis’s that are built for working hard and they’ll do it.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:21 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
+1 for the MINI.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:17 AM   #26

State: Arizona
THOR #18608
Thanks for the great suggestions! I agree with the concern about finding a Tracker or Samurai in decent condition. Most that I see for sale are prett rough and very high mileage. I’d love to tow a Mini but we have a penchant for exploring sketchy back roads that require higher clearance.

I’m thinking the two door Wrangler might be the ticket.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 29X
State: Alberta
THOR #19779
We tow a 2009 Hyundai Accent 2 door hatchback, manual tranny, very light weight. Plain but hardly know it’s behind you.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #28

THOR #18781
Chevy Spark Toad

We purchased a new 2020 Chevrolet Spark last May to tow behind our Thor Delano 24TT. We have towed it about 6,000 miles from Florida through Georgia, Alabama, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Virginia and both Carolinas. Along and across the Blue Ridge, etc. On both twisty 2 lane roads and freeways. We are thrilled with it. It has provided the flexibility to wander far and wide from our camp sites. We have a Blue Ox “Ascent” and Demco Stay-in-Play Duo braking system. We can get 4 people in it and still have some room in the hatchback area. It might not be the choice for bigger coaches or families, but for the 2 of us with just a 24’ coach it is just the ticket. Throw the “knife switch” on the battery, place in neutral, take the parking brake off, toggle the Demco switch and hit the road.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #29

THOR #19397
Hi. We have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24 SS. I wanted a light toad, and we found a low-mileage 2017 Kia Soul that was still under warranty. It has really fit the bill. It has a square door to the rear compartment. We load 2 folding e-bikes, two golf bags, two camping chairs, our pickelball equipment, leveling blocks for the rig, and a few odds and ends. It's a 6-speed stick, and it does not turn the odometer when you tow. We put a Blue Ox towing kit on it, and we basically don't even know its back there. It lowered our mileage by about 1/2 MPG.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
By the time you loaded all of that stuff into it: how light wasn't it?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #2121
How about a Subaru? Almost an SUV.

I haven’t looked at toads much because I prefer small motorhomes, but think AWD Subaru with manual transmissions may be flat towable and have a little more ground clearance than most cars. It may be worth researching. Again, not sure of their capabilities, but know they are not that heavy for their size.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
How about a Subaru? Almost an SUV.

I haven’t looked at toads much because I prefer small motorhomes, but think AWD Subaru with manual transmissions may be flat towable and have a little more ground clearance than most cars. It may be worth researching. Again, not sure of their capabilities, but know they are not that heavy for their size.
Except Subaru no longer endorses any of their vehicles to be flat towable.

And, AWD is not 4WD.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And, AWD is not 4WD.[/QUOTE]

Well, technically it is but your point is well taken. It’s not the same!
Old 10-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Except Subaru no longer endorses any of their vehicles to be flat towable.

And, AWD is not 4WD.

Funny distinction considering you guys were kicking around FWD cars; and also used ones.

When you say “any”, does that refer to current models or previous years also? I’ve read that older ones with manual transmission were flat towable, but that could be wrong.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:18 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
You gotta check the list...
Old 10-25-2020, 12:31 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Funny distinction considering you guys were kicking around FWD cars; and also used ones.

When you say “any”, does that refer to current models or previous years also? I’ve read that older ones with manual transmission were flat towable, but that could be wrong.
The OP clarified what he was looking for in post #21.

Subaru used to endorse 4 flat towing with some manual vehicles but hasn't for a couple of years. The failure to endorse flat towing is not retroactive to previously endorsed vehicles.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:33 AM   #37

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
Motorhome dinghy guides

We tow a Jeff Cherokee trail blazer with all wheels down.
Check the motorhomes.com dinghy towing guides for a full list of available vehicles you can tow all wheeles down.
https://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/2019-dinghy-towables-sneak-peek/
Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #38

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
I bought a 2001 Chevy Tracker. V6, 4wD, 4 door auto trans. 100k miles, for $4100. Some scratches, etc., but weighs 2800lbs and is a decent off roader. I wouldn’t want it for a daily driver, but it’s perfect for a toad. Gets you to the stream or into town. $500/yr insurance and registration. They’re out there, but you have to be patient.Mine had a Roadmaster base plate on it already.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #39

State: North Carolina
THOR #15700
I have a very nice 2016 Ford Focus Hatchback set up for flat towing for sale. It has 26 K miles, new battery and tows very easy. Black with white interior, runs perfectly. First $ 13,000 gets it. Located in Western N.C.
Thanks
Bob Downie
828-200-3228
Old 10-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #40

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
'SUV' is the proverbial question from the OP, here. There's little to 'choose' from if that's the case - as a spark, focus, or similar car is probably not in that category, though many of us enjoy easily towing them. Our '14 Focus has been towed over 60,000 miles and is probably one of the easiest vehicles of all to tow - just put in in neutral. These are also AUTOMATIC front wheel drive cars, not manuals, so the wife is happy, too.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote