Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 01:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #18608
Light Toad wanted

Hello -

We have recently purchased a 2018 Four Winds 24 and are looking for a very light SUV-type vehicle to tow behind it, such as a Geo Tracker. Would appreciate any suggestions, advice or offers if you have one for sale.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2020, 03:23 AM   #2

Model: Delano 24RW
State: California
THOR #20579
Chevy Spark

I’m looking into the Chevy Spark which is an approved towable and weighs in at a paltry 2300lbs roughly. Your issue will be whether the manufacturer approve towing 4 down or on a dolly.

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...20.pdf#page244

Best of luck.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Depending on how many people you need to carry: a 2016 and newer Smart Fourtwo might work.
2100 pounds, and you can tow them four-down.
(And it's an automatic!)

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603193728
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Paint 04.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	26796  
Old 10-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The Spark is towable 4 down with a manual transmission. You may want to look at it's bigger brother, the Sonic hatchback which is towable 4 down with automatic and still weighs less than 3000 lbs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

THOR #20579
Sonic procedure

I was looking at the Sonic as well then saw the procedure.

Sonic

Special Procedures: Run the engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for about 5 minutes. Shift auto transmission to P (Park), turn ignition off. Set parking brake. To prevent battery from draining while vehicle is being towed, remove the DLIS fuse from fuse block. For Keyless Access vehicles, remove BCM1 and BCM2 fuses from the instrument panel fuse block and fuse 7 from the engine com- partment fuse block. Turn ignition on, apply brake pedal. Shift transmission to Neutral. Turn ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY. Release parking brake. Re-install fuses once destination has been reached.

Spark
Special Procedures: Shift the transmission to Neutral. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Cover negative battery post with non-conduc- tive material. Release parking brake.

Just seemed like Spark was much easier, and since I drive a stick regularly in other vehicles, it worked for me. Maybe those procedures are not always the case depending on year.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Depending on how many people you need to carry: a 2016 and newer Smart Fourtwo might work.
2100 pounds, and you can tow them four-down.
(And it's an automatic!)

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603193728
I have my wife and 5 year old, so had to cross that one off.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 32T
THOR #20883
2020 Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDelanoRw View Post

Sonic

Special Procedures: Run the engine at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for about 5 minutes. Shift auto transmission to P (Park), turn ignition off. Set parking brake. To prevent battery from draining while vehicle is being towed, remove the DLIS fuse from fuse block. For Keyless Access vehicles, remove BCM1 and BCM2 fuses from the instrument panel fuse block and fuse 7 from the engine com- partment fuse block. Turn ignition on, apply brake pedal. Shift transmission to Neutral. Turn ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY. Release parking brake. Re-install fuses once destination has been reached.

Spark
Special Procedures: Shift the transmission to Neutral. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Cover negative battery post with non-conduc- tive material. Release parking brake.

Just seemed like Spark was much easier, and since I drive a stick regularly in other vehicles, it worked for me. Maybe those procedures are not always the case depending on year.

Jeff
My toad is a 2020 Chevy Spark LS with manual transmission. It fits 4 surprisingly well and is very comfortable. It has 4 doors. I installed a battery disconnect switch so it takes me about 10 seconds to do. We are very happy with it.

Frank
Old 10-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #8

THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fny007 View Post
My toad is a 2020 Chevy Spark LS with manual transmission. It fits 4 surprisingly well and is very comfortable. It has 4 doors. I installed a battery disconnect switch so it takes me about 10 seconds to do. We are very happy with it.

Frank
Thanks, that’s great to hear. I heard from others it was really easy to disconnect and go. So that’s great to hear my thinking was somewhat correct.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Sonic

Spark

Jeff
That procedure for the Sonic is pretty involved for a Push-to-start vehicle. Mine is a Turn-Key start vehicle so it is much easier and the written procedure is unnecessarily complex.

Running the engine at the beginning of the day and after 6 hours of towing (at fuel stops) is required to circulate the transmission fluid - a pretty common requirement but not one I have to think about as the engine is run to connect the toad and I have not driven over 6 hours at a stretch in the MH yet.

Removing the DLIS fuse does two things for you:
Allows you to turn the key OFF and remove it with the transmission in neutral.
Times out the BCM after 10 or 20 minutes to kill all ACC power if the key is left in ACC as stated by the manual
There is no need to leave the key in ACC as the Sonic does not have a steering wheel lock.
And since leaving the DLIS fuse removed does not affect day-to-day driving I just leave mine out. You could install a fuse-switch if you felt you needed to.

My Sonic has over 90,000 miles on the odometer plus almost 20,000 miles as a toad. My simplified procedure is:

1 - Connect the car to the MH with the tow bar.
2 - Insure the transmission is in Neutral
3 - Turn off the car, remove the key and lock the doors.

Just as easy to disconnect.

My wife's Colorado on the other hand has a much more complex procedure: so much so that I have a checklist to insure I don't skip a step. It might get easier as we tow it more and I get used to the routine but it will never be as easy as my Sonic.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #10

THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That procedure for the Sonic is pretty involved for a Push-to-start vehicle. Mine is a Turn-Key start vehicle so it is much easier and the written procedure is unnecessarily complex.

Running the engine at the beginning of the day and after 6 hours of towing (at fuel stops) is required to circulate the transmission fluid - a pretty common requirement but not one I have to think about as the engine is run to connect the toad and I have not driven over 6 hours at a stretch in the MH yet.

Removing the DLIS fuse does two things for you:
Allows you to turn the key OFF and remove it with the transmission in neutral.
Times out the BCM after 10 or 20 minutes to kill all ACC power if the key is left in ACC as stated by the manual
There is no need to leave the key in ACC as the Sonic does not have a steering wheel lock.
And since leaving the DLIS fuse removed does not affect day-to-day driving I just leave mine out. You could install a fuse-switch if you felt you needed to.

My Sonic has over 90,000 miles on the odometer plus almost 20,000 miles as a toad. My simplified procedure is:

1 - Connect the car to the MH with the tow bar.
2 - Insure the transmission is in Neutral
3 - Turn off the car, remove the key and lock the doors.

Just as easy to disconnect.

My wife's Colorado on the other hand has a much more complex procedure: so much so that I have a checklist to insure I don't skip a step. It might get easier as we tow it more and I get used to the routine but it will never be as easy as my Sonic.
Yeah, I figured you must have an older model, probably pre-2015. Which for folks looking now would imply to find a good used model. I’m guessing they have switched all the new models to push button start and the like. There are lots of older used models vehicles which are easy to tow 4 down, you just have to find a good used one. Which can at times be a bit difficult but not insurmountable. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Yeah, I figured you must have an older model, probably pre-2015. Which for folks looking now would imply to find a good used model. I’m guessing they have switched all the new models to push button start and the like. There are lots of older used models vehicles which are easy to tow 4 down, you just have to find a good used one. Which can at times be a bit difficult but not insurmountable. Thanks for the feedback.
I don't know about the 2021 models, but the 2020 models come with Key Start standard. Keyless Start is an option.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #12

THOR #20579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't know about the 2021 models, but the 2020 models come with Key Start standard. Keyless Start is an option.
The Chevy site says the 2020 Sonic model ignition key is no longer available. Maybe they changed that after 2019. Nevertheless sounds like used would be the requirement regardless which is doable.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Just look for an older model! Good ones are out there. Or get and older Jeep Wrangler. They aren’t as light at 4,000 - 4500lbs but they sure are fun and stone simple to tow. You can leave the transmission in park. Just put the transfer case in neutral and leave the steering column unlocked.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #14

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
You might check out a Scion xB. '04 to '06 manual trans.. put key in acc position, trans in neutral, release park brake and go.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #15

Model: Quantum kw29
State: Tennessee
THOR #20213
Kia Soul

We picked up a 2015 Kia Soul 6 speed M. at 2700 lbs. and nice 4 door with room inside, it should pull great.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #16

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
You all do realize that Jeff hijacked this thread? Halhayden was the OP and was asking about a ight SUV type vehicle to tow?
Old 10-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Conversations in here take on an "organic" quality: they go where they go...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #18

THOR #20579
Good point Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
You all do realize that Jeff hijacked this thread? Halhayden was the OP and was asking about a ight SUV type vehicle to tow?
Good point Harry. My apologies and thanks for keeping me honest on forum etiquette.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Define SUV. Your definition may not match my definition or the OP's definition.

The OP mentioned a Geo Tracker: not my idea of a SUV.

Classic SUVs were Broncos, Blazers, Yukons, Explorers, etc. - none of them "light".

So the same 2+2+cargo style vehicle in a "light" form may include the Spark, Sonic hatchback, Kia Soul, or even the Scion Xb, none with great ground clearance, but how far do you want to stretch the SUV definition to Sorry Bob, not stretching it to a Smart for 2 car)? Were the old wood grain side panel station wagons the original SUVs?

Since the OP hasn't been back to comment on the supplied recommendations or elaborate on how well they fit what he is really looking for we are all just shooting in the dark.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Ted,
They may not fit the definition of an SUV: but they're cuter than a smiling puppy!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603301753
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smile.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	26809  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote