Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2021, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Washington
THOR #21575
Looking for tow dolly feedback

My wife and I are going to dip our toe into the tow game... Going to tow our 2019 Chevy Bolt. We found a couple of used tow dollies in our area. Both appear to be in really good shape.
Option 1: 2015 Roadmaster RM3477
Option 2: Demco GR200B
Main question I have is how important is it to get a dolly with an integrated brake system? I don't think either one comes with a brake system. I think both are rated to be able tow our Bolt.
Anything else we should know or be aware of?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
At 3600+ lbs plus the weight of the dolly you should have a braking system.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah you'll want brakes to pull a Bolt around.

We have the EZE-Tow dolly (https://cartowdolly.com/--it has surge brakes so hitch up and go) and pulled our Bolt all over the place with it. Works like a champ. (Yeah don't have the Bolt anymore...lease was up.)

You'll want to put a knife disconnect on the Bolt's 12V battery as you have to disconnect it so the car doesn't engage the e-brake (look in the owner's manual on recreational towing--there is a procedure you have to do before disconnecting the battery--the car really loves to automatically engage the e-brake at a moments notice LOL). I forget now but I had to do the procedure in a certain order, if I didn't the car would freak out and honk the horn when connecting the battery up so keep the keyfob in your hand at that point so you're ready for it. If I remember correctly I had to close the knife switch and immediately close the hood otherwise once the car booted up it would get an "intrusion alarm".

I was extra paranoid about that knife switch too: Afraid it may inadvertently close while on the road. So after opening it and disconnecting the batteries I would wrap 2 or 3 rubber bands around it just to prevent contact in the event it accidentally closes (it never did but can't be too safe).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-13 10.08.11 (2).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	31711

I've circled the knife disconnect here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-29 074842.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	31712

Here is an Amazon link to the type of knife switch I used. As you can see it is a tight fit in there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

Model: Omni SV34
State: Colorado
THOR #22921
We use a Demco KarKaddyX to tow our 2021 Bolt behind our 2022 Omni. The dolly has surge brakes & towing has been problem free. Absolutely need to follow the Bolt manual procedure for dolly towing. We use this top post battery disconnect and don’t have to worry about an inadvertent re-connect because the dial connector part can be removed & kept in the glovebox.

Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001N729...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
PM me , i may have a dolly you would like for sale.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borismkogan View Post
My wife and I are going to dip our toe into the tow game... Going to tow our 2019 Chevy Bolt. We found a couple of used tow dollies in our area. Both appear to be in really good shape.
Main question I have is how important is it to get a dolly with an integrated brake system? I don't think either one comes with a brake system. I think both are rated to be able tow our Bolt.
It is required in Washington to have brakes
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #7

THOR #21575
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
PM me , i may have a dolly you would like for sale.

Sent
Old 06-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I think I replied if it didn't go through let me know I'll try again.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:40 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
I would bet Roadmaster or any car dolly has electric brakes. Call Roadmaster- they are in Vancouver Wa
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:55 AM   #10

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
not all dolly's have brakes, you have to buy them as an add-on and depending on the weight of the car, could be required by law.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:32 AM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
not all dolly's have brakes, you have to buy them as an add-on and depending on the weight of the car, could be required by law.
Some states also require dollie be registered and licensed.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
I got a Master Tow for my 2015 Volvo XC-60. I pull it with a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. The dolly surge brakes don't work but the RV seems to stop it just fine at about 3500lbs. I'd recommend a surge brake dolly system just because it will work on anything you hook it to. One with electric brakes needs expensive parts in the vehicle and the RV!!! Bob Trice
Old 07-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #13

THOR #21575
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I got a Master Tow for my 2015 Volvo XC-60. I pull it with a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. The dolly surge brakes don't work but the RV seems to stop it just fine at about 3500lbs. I'd recommend a surge brake dolly system just because it will work on anything you hook it to. One with electric brakes needs expensive parts in the vehicle and the RV!!! Bob Trice

Thank you!
Old 07-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have a Car Tow Dolly from Acme Car tow dolly. It has surge brakes and brake lights. I added magnetic led brake lights to stick on the car with a long wire lead so that the car being towed also has brake lights. Here in California, I am not required to have those additional brake lights since the dolly already has them built into it but I wanted additional lights for safety. I towed our 2014 Ford Flex just under 5,000 miles on the trip we just returned from and did not have an issue with the towing or dolly. I do check the safety straps every time we stop to be sure they were still tight. We are planning a trip to Utah and will be towing our Ford Flex with us(1200 mile round trip). I do have to replace my tow dolly tires before that trip. The tires were rated for approximately 5,000 miles and they are showing signs that they need to be replaced before our next trip. California does not require the tow dolly to be licensed.

Paul
Old 07-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #15

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
It is required in Washington to have brakes
Except the ones in Washington you can rent from Uhaul.
I have yet to find a Uhaul dolly that has brakes.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:53 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
I use a TowMaster to tow a 4000lb. Volvo XC-60 full of musical equipment. I tow it with a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. It does not have working hydraulic brakes but I will sell this one soon and buy a new one with working hydraulic brakes. They are the best tow dolly I believe and it's just as good as electrics if not better. They work on anything with the correct size ball. No car bumper connections, no expensive electric control boxes and all the other crap that goes with electrics. Just hook it to your RV, drive your car up onto the ramp, dog down with the wheel straps and your off!!!!