Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Looks like a new Toad is available

If anyone is interested in a cutting-edge toad: Get a Chevy Bolt EV, it is dolly towable: Chevy Bolt Owner's manual (PDF)
See page 300.

You'll get a 240 mile EV. Make sure you get a Level - 2 charger, though so it can fully charge up (from empty) in about 9 hours (much better than the couple of days on 120V!). (You can use a Level - 2 charger at campgrounds in the 50A plug--I do it with my C-Max.)

Yeah probably costs a bit more than what you're looking for in a toad though.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If anyone is interested in a cutting-edge toad: Get a Chevy Bolt EV, it is dolly towable: Chevy Bolt Owner's manual (PDF)
See page 300.

You'll get a 240 mile EV. Make sure you get a Level - 2 charger, though so it can fully charge up (from empty) in about 9 hours (much better than the couple of days on 120V!). (You can use a Level - 2 charger at campgrounds in the 50A plug--I do it with my C-Max.)

Yeah probably costs a bit more than what you're looking for in a toad though.
$7,500 IN OBAMA BUCKS CAN BRING FINAL COST UNDER $30 K.The tesla 3 is going to be in trouble.Chevy raised the bar.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
At least once a week I find myself browsing the internet looking at different vehicles and their weights. We have a 2016 SUV that weighs almost 4,000 pounds and a Harley Trike as our only vehicles. Right now we only pull the Harley on an Aluma trailer, but next year we want to get a tow dolly that takes the Harley and front wheels of a car. Problem is the car needs to weigh around 2,500 to 3,000 and be front wheel drive only.

This one may fit the bill for sure!!!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
Problem is the car needs to weigh around 2,500 to 3,000 and be front wheel drive only.
Or not: Curb weight 3563 from 2017 Bolt EV Trims: LT - Premier | Chevrolet (Click on the + in front of dimensions)

Batteries weigh a lot. My old Focus EV weighed in at 3600 lbs for only going ~70 miles or so (a similar gas Focus is only about 2980 lbs), my C-Max now weighs in at a whopping 3800 lbs.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I looked at the Bolt a while back, very impressive, and yes Chevy set a new standard! The Malibu hybrid weighs a little less at 3388, a friend has one and it is a very nice car!

For a lightweight and inexpensive toad, which probably won't get driven much, I have been looking at used Honda Civics. Lots of Civics available and they never wear out.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Or not: Curb weight 3563 from 2017 Bolt EV Trims: LT - Premier | Chevrolet (Click on the + in front of dimensions)

Batteries weigh a lot. My old Focus EV weighed in at 3600 lbs for only going ~70 miles or so (a similar gas Focus is only about 2980 lbs), my C-Max now weighs in at a whopping 3800 lbs.
That is impressive value for an electric car; provided GM is not selling below their actual cost.

In any case, 60 kWh of battery capacity, weighing 960 pounds, in a $37k vehicle isn't bad at all. If GM isn't subsidizing the cost, it suggests battery costs are finally coming down. They must be looking at no more than $300 to $400 per kWh (probably much less), which is lower than we can buy AGM batteries for RVs when depth-of-discharge and cycle life is factored in.

What is odd to me is why they can't "engineer" the car to be flat towable. It has an electric motor and simple gear reduction. Other than controls/software, what would keep it from being flat towable?

Any other electric cars that are flat towable?
Old 12-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I remember when the Volt first came out the GM president said they were selling the car for 40,000 and it cost around 70,000 to build, said he hoped they didn't sell very many!!!

Chance I agree about the flat towing but the companies don't build cars with the goal of making a towable for the RV crowd. Since the electric motor is always engaged to the transmission, no neutral, I guess the wear on the motor is a factor. Or maybe the motor would always be trying to charge when being towed and damage the batteries?
Old 12-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Looking at the New Elio coming this next year. Granted a 2 seater but according to them it will be able to flat tow coming in for about 7000
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
What is odd to me is why they can't "engineer" the car to be flat towable. It has an electric motor and simple gear reduction. Other than controls/software, what would keep it from being flat towable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD
Chance I agree about the flat towing but the companies don't build cars with the goal of making a towable for the RV crowd. Since the electric motor is always engaged to the transmission, no neutral, I guess the wear on the motor is a factor. Or maybe the motor would always be trying to charge when being towed and damage the batteries?
I'd guess that its likely a couple of factors: Wear and a new design. I don't think the charging issue comes into play at all simply because that is a danger in normal driving too (live on top of a hill and leave your house with a fully charged car..its going to try to regen--charge the battery--on the way down. In the Focus Electric forums there was more than one person who lived on the top of a hill and had this very issue.).

My guess is that this market is still new enough that they are working hard enough to get the car out the door to begin with; beeing a completely new design. I'd expect the flat towable to come in like the 3rd of 4th generation once they got them down pat.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:

I ended up finding those weights also. That little thing weighs almost as much as my 7 passenger SUV! I have found two small cars that are light and cheap, the small KIA and the Chevy Spark. One good thing about the Spark is that rental car companies use them therefore you can buy one year old ones pretty cheap, not that they aren't cheap anyway.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote