Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation
State: Ohio
THOR #10199
Motorcycle trailer

We are interested in suggestions for choice in trailers only pulling one full size bike. Thinking single axle 6x10 enclosed . Thoughts on brakes? Thanks for your ideas

Old 12-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

Model: Magellan
State: Florida
THOR #6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvatorguy View Post
We are interested in suggestions for choice in trailers only pulling one full size bike. Thinking single axle 6x10 enclosed . Thoughts on brakes? Thanks for your ideas
It would help everyone who wishes to reply knowing what rig you have.

When you have time, put your MH information into your signature
This will really help in all your future posts, so you won't have to type it in each time.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed. You are limited to 3 lines.
bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Two words: "Iron Horse"...
They ain't cheap; but they're worth the money!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Two words: "Iron Horse"...
They ain't cheap; but they're worth the money!
I agree. I ordered Iron Horse's new wide body EX for my Victory Cross country and my wife's Can am Spyder. I did a lot of research on motorcycle trailers and Iron Horse remained consistently at the top of my list.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Your bikes will thank you...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
If it were me, I’d be looking at a 7’X12’ V-nose. They’re comparable money to a 6’ wide, but, gain a lot of extra floor space and allow plenty of room to get around the bike. If you should add another bike (like you and your buddy want to go to Sturgis, Daytona, etc), you can easily stagger them and still have plenty of room to move around the bikes. If you should move into a Can Am Spyder, you’ll have plenty of room for that. You can easily haul up to a 60” lawn mower. You can add shelves and cabinetry, in the nose, for more storage and take some of the rarely used items and weight off your coach. I just think it’s a lot more versatile size than going with the minimum you can get by with.

I’d do a 7’ ceiling height. I can tell you, it’s very unpleasant to hit your head on the top of a door opening. Also, the extra height allows a “barn door” windshield to easily clear.

Be sure and get a torsion axle. It’ll make a huge difference in ride for your cargo, as well as jerkiness and vibration you feel inside the coach. I’d option a 5K or 6K capacity axle. The standard 3500# axles most come with just aren’t enough. If your empty trailer ends up at 1700lbs, that leaves 1800 lbs available for cargo. That’s 2 touring bikes. Some may say to just get a tandem axle trailer, but, they’ll eat tires and get worse fuel mileage than a single axle.

You mentioned trailer brakes. I’ve had with and without. I will never again purchase a trailer without them. They make a huge difference, especially when someone pulls out in front of you or you’re up in the mountains. I’m big on the idea: If there are tires on the ground, they need to have brakes.

Lastly, I’ve owned and pulled a variety of box trailers (10’-24’) and have ~40K miles on my current one. I’ve never pulled a nicer made, nicer riding trailer than a Featherlite. There is a definite difference in how trailers are made. In turn, that affects their ride, longevity, resale, etc.