Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #899
Question Need Class IV Hitch for 2013 Thor Four Winds C

I need a Class IV hitch. Any idea of where to go what model will fit 2013 Four Winds Class C, 22E?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Take a look around on this site. These folks are real good, and if you have questions, give them a call.
https://www.etrailer.com/
Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

State: Ohio
THOR #1042
May want to try https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/118844528276926/, I have one on there for sale
Old 06-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #4

Model: 28z
State: Washington
THOR #2161
2014 Thor 28Z hitch - class iv

Did you ever find a hitch greater than 5000 lbs?

I called Thor today & they refused to give me a Reese - or other brand - part number of the new 8000 lb hitch that was simply "re-stickered" from 5000 to 8000 lbs.

The parts lady acted like she was from Mars and as if I were speaking a different language. Very rude. The GCVWR is 7500 lbs over the GVW. Hence - I could tow a 7500 trailer. She just didn't want to help.
One Thor parts guy I spoke with on the phone previously - gave me some cequent part numbers. But when I searched them ~ they didn't exist.

My boat weighs 6000# & tongue weight is 400 lbs. just want to be legal on paper.
Anyone got the answer?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporte77 View Post
Did you ever find a hitch greater than 5000 lbs?

I called Thor today & they refused to give me a Reese - or other brand - part number of the new 8000 lb hitch that was simply "re-stickered" from 5000 to 8000 lbs.

The parts lady acted like she was from Mars and as if I were speaking a different language. Very rude. The GCVWR is 7500 lbs over the GVW. Hence - I could tow a 7500 trailer. She just didn't want to help.
One Thor parts guy I spoke with on the phone previously - gave me some cequent part numbers. But when I searched them ~ they didn't exist.

My boat weighs 6000# & tongue weight is 400 lbs. just want to be legal on paper.
Anyone got the answer?

Thanks,
Sam
First, when Forest River made a change to the hitch on their Class C line the hitch itself was changed and it was not simply "restickered" from 5K to 7500 pounds. The manufacturer of the hitch made changes to the way the safety chain loops were welded to the hitch thereby allowing the towing capacity to be increased.

Second, the hitch used by an RV manufacturer must be built to mount on the frame rail extensions installed by their vendor and a new hitch for the Thor Class C line may not have been designed to date. Since Thor does not install a 7500 lb hitch on their Class C motorhomes and the 8000 lb was only installed on the Class A (F53 chassis) they may not have a part number to give you.

Although my Challenger came with an 8000 lb hitch, it can still only tow 4000 lbs (GCWR 26000 - GVRW 22000 = 4000) unless I borrow weight capacity from the coach. This point was made perfectly clear by the Thor Regional Sales rep when I asked before buying the coach. This tells me that the hitch used for the F53 was redesigned rather than a change made to towing capacity.

With that said, the hitch manufacturer for Forest River was Buyers Products. They have a 7500 hitch that may or may not work for the frame rails on your coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
Since Thor does not install a 7500 lb hitch on their Class C motorhomes and the 8000 lb was only installed on the Class A (F53 chassis) they may not have a part number to give you.
Thor also installs 8000 lb hitches on the Vegas/Axis lines which are built on an E-350 chassis; the same one used in many Class C's.

In our case the 18,500 GCWR and 12,500 GVWR allows for a max 6000lb towing capacity (or more if you use our weighed value of 11,400lbs). In either case, though, the max towable is less than the 8000lb hitches capacity.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
I just went to Thor's site and looked and it appears they went to the 8K hitch on the Class C line for 2016. The 2015 model year still lists the 5K hitch.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
I'm looking at the build sheet spec's for my 2015 Four Winds 28Z on the E450 chassis ( 2015 chassis by VIN) and the first item on the sheet is 8000 lb Trailer Hitch. Now I know that I cannot tow that much due to weight of coach and GCWR, but it is listed. Don't know what difference there would be between the frame rails at the rear of the E350 coaches and my E450. I thought I remembered that all the specs for the 15's had the 8000 lb hitch.
Good luck and hope this helps.
Just re-looked at the sales brochure and the 8000 lb hitch was on units buit after 10/01/2014.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

THOR #2161
Thanks for the replies. I just want to know if anyone knows the 8000 lb hitch brand and part number that Thor is putting on the newer class C . When I first called & simply asked a Thor parts guy about it, he told me it was cequent/Reese number 360231. He also said they just changed the sticker on the one for Thor & it was identical to the old one. When I looked it up, it was nowhere on the Internet. So I called back and the next Thor parts lady I spoke to gave me a hassle and just couldn't fathom why I'd want to put a hitch on my rig bigger than 5k. She just didn't get why I'd want to use my up to 7500lbs of towing (22k-14.5k=7.5k). She simply said I can't help you or give out the number- go to your dealer.

With all that said - I always follow the rules. I even bought rickson wheels & tires for my previous F350 w/camper just to make sure I was legal. So before I go slapping a class 4 hitch on there - I'll inspect a 2015 & 2016 28z's frame rails to see if they are different. Doubtful. I know a welder who can weld a hitch and rails on. Plus torklift can do it.
However- if anyone can give me the actual manufacturer & part number that bolts on - I'd appreciate it.
The existing width of rails are 42" wide ~ that may narrow down our search.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

THOR #2161
Is there a brand & part number on your hitch? What's the overall width?
Thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

THOR #1907
Sporte77;
I will look tonight when I get home, I am at work right now and do not have the unit with me.
More to come.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
There is no part number that I can see, but the 8K hitch on my Challenger is made by Lippert Components (LCI).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	488
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #13

THOR #2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
There is no part number that I can see, but the 8K hitch on my Challenger is made by Lippert Components (LCI).

Attachment 488
Thanks. I called lippert (LCI) & the guys recommended I get a hold of Reese. Apparently, Lippert uses Reese to build them & Lippert labels them with their own sticker. But you cannot buy the hitch from Lippert. I'm probably just going to have to buy a multi-fit, weld on class 4 hitch....

If only I had the drawings of several hitches sold online, I could find one that would fit that way. But most hitch retailers don't have those drawings available. I also tried to locate the "Buyer's Products" 7500 hitch used on the Forest River class Cs. But alas, their model number does not exist for retail customers either.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Thanks. I called lippert (LCI) & the guys recommended I get a hold of Reese. Apparently, Lippert uses Reese to build them & Lippert labels them with their own sticker. But you cannot buy the hitch from Lippert. I'm probably just going to have to buy a multi-fit, weld on class 4 hitch....

If only I had the drawings of several hitches sold online, I could find one that would fit that way. But most hitch retailers don't have those drawings available. I also tried to locate the "Buyer's Products" 7500 hitch used on the Forest River class Cs. But alas, their model number does not exist for retail customers either.
It may take me a day or three but I still have my FROG (Forest River Owners Group) account and I'll see if I can get the number. Forest River made that number and the number for swivel seat pedestals available to owners if we wanted to upgrade ourselves. If I remember correctly the numbers on the FR forum were not correct but the numbers on the FROG forum were. I remember looking at the 7500 lb hitch and the cost was about 279.00 or 289.00.

Like I said it may take a day or three to find out.

Also, you may want to check out Draw-Tite. They have some 10K hitches for Ford E series vehicles. The web site is Draw-Tite
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-04-2015, 01:23 AM   #15

THOR #1907
Sorry for the delay, but was working on several projects for the motorhome. I looked at the trailer hitch on my 28Z and found some numbers on the end. 354528 on a sticker from LCI. Same weight rating as Dave's class A. Same sticker on the rear facing surface.
Hope this will help you.

Back to projects, tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:26 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Here is the link to the parts department at the dealer where I purchased my Challenger. They have a 7500 lb Reese part number 37070. You would need to call them regarding applications. They are a Thor dealer so they may be able to assist with getting the right hitch if this one does not work.

Premium Receiver #37070 Premium Receiver #37070 [993707] - - It's Free! : Stag-Parkway, RV Parts and Accessories
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #17

THOR #2161
Thanks Jim & Dave. I appreciate all leads I can get. I called Lippert & they won't sell me anything the dealer would put on. I also tried Buyer's (Forest River) & they refused to sell models that they supply to manufacturers. The Reese option is a little too wide (47" vs my 42"). I also called Thor & they wouldn't sell me a hitch. Everyone said "go to your local dealer". I understand liability issues & dealer protection. But I just hoped that I would find one sympathetic soul out there amongst all the big business. I was wrong. Oh well. I've got a decent fab guy & there is always Torklift up near Seattle who can do it.
Thanks again guys! I appreciate your wanting to help out :-)
---------------------
When I find the solution - I'll post it here & guide people to those businesses who would like to increase their income.

Sam
Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
I read someone it may not be an issue of sympathy but one of government control. I believe one of the problems is that Thor cannot sell parts because it is prohibited under their business license. They can provide parts for warranty repairs but they cannot sell parts to consumers.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #19

THOR #2161
Quote:
I read someone it may not be an issue of sympathy but one of government control. I believe one of the problems is that Thor cannot sell parts because it is prohibited under their business license. They can provide parts for warranty repairs but they cannot sell parts to consumers.
Yeah, unfortunate that there's a lot of red tape that prevents a lot of people from just doing the right thing these days.

Forgive me, I have to vent:
I bought my 28Z 3 weeks ago. It's a 2014 (used). I haven't camped in it yet - but I've repaired the following myself so far (none of which I detected before I bought it):

1. flexible drain hose under sink leak (sink located in slide).
2. schwintek slide controller failure; followed by...
3. slide motor loose - destroying harness on motor (found out that Thor drilled hole for motor hold down screw a quarter inch off - so motor wasn't held down - screw went off to side. New motor installed.
4. tail lights leaked.
5. overhead bunk leak (I bought this unit because it had NO front window!).

LOL... PS. Don't use Essex Credit for your financing (Costco's pick for RV/Boats). It's been two weeks since I bought from a dealer & I just got the closing docs for the loan (only because I contacted Costco and complained).
Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
By the way that should read

I read "somewhere" instead of I read "someone"
FMCA - F432054

Tags
class c 22e, class iv, thor four winds