Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #607
New Toad

Just picked up a new TOAD yesterday. I've been towing a 6400lb GMC Acadia and thought a lighter vehicle would be better. I purchased a 2013 Fiat 500 Sport. The nice metalic black will look great behind the Challenger. Ordered the Blue Ox baseplate today as well.

tmcoc.org
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40GQ
State: South Dakota
THOR #619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
Just picked up a new TOAD yesterday. I've been towing a 6400lb GMC Acadia and thought a lighter vehicle would be better. I purchased a 2013 Fiat 500 Sport. The nice metalic black will look great behind the Challenger. Ordered the Blue Ox baseplate today as well.
Congrats on the new TOAD!
FMCA 423222 - Thor Diesel Club
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Best Thor Challenger Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post

How is your toad and MPG working out? We have a 2015 Challenger Ford V10 and wondering what he best toad would be?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:15 AM   #4

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Those little Fiats are really cute! I take it that you can tow 4 wheels down. What are the directions to get it ready? Any battery disconnect or other recommendations or restrictions on speed or time in tow?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I tow a 2012 Ford Fiesta 5 speed standard. I do not disconnect the battery and have never had a problem. Just make sure your key is turned off and you will be fine.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
The instructions on my 2014 Ford Focus say to disconnect the battery, so I installed a quick disconnect. However, disconnecting the battery causes the transmission to go back into its "learning mode" which I think is part of my issue with its shifting performance. I'd love to leave the battery connected. You say it is safe/okay on your Fiesta--but could there be a difference for my Focus? It has that new 6 speed "automatic" that is really two 3 speed manuals with "smart" clutches.
Any thoughts from anyone?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Good point!

The electronics in the automatic transmission most likely require the battery disconnect. I would do what the manual states as you want to keep your warranty!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Each model of vehicle - at least those that can be towed - typically will have specific instructions as to how to set it up for towing.

Some vehicles require disconnection of the battery, some require removal of specific fuses, some do not require anything. For automatic transmission vehicles, some require specific shifting sequences to set up for towing (i.e. Honda CR-V).

The setup for one model vehicle may be completely different for other models. And not all models of a manufacturer's lineup may have the capability to be towed.

The best information as to towing is found in the owner's manual. Most manuals have a section called "recreational towing" where this information can be found. Do not assume your vehicle can be towed unless the manual specifically states so.

And different years and models (either the same model or different model) of a particular vehicle may vary as to it's towability. Again, if one year's vehicle can be towed, this is no guarantee another year vehicle of the same model can be towed.

Still, some models can be towed even though it is not specified in the owner's manual, such as some Honda mini-vans. At least, owners have towed them without any ill effects.

Thing is, the vehicle manufacturers only seem to mildly support recreational towing.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #607
Fiat is a 5 speed standard, just put in nuteral and tow. When the ignition is off there is no power to anything, not even the 12 volt outlet.
tmcoc.org
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote